Wheel Nuts !

Can anyone shed some light on when wheelnuts should be re torqued company im working for at mo insist on them being done on a weekly basis and ive even heard of another company wanting them done as part of daily checks?

Steve Rogers:
ive even heard of another company wanting them done as part of daily checks?

doesn’t everyone lol.

I am not one for torquing daily or maybe even weekly, unless you are slacking the nuts off first, everytime you go near it with a torque wrench, you are likely to be overstretching the studs or threads.

I have said before on these forums, a torque wrench and tyre inflator are precision instruments that have to be calibrated. mere drivers are not trained to use them correctly

All I do is check that they’re on. I am not a mechanic.

bigvern1:
All I do is check that they’re on. I am not a mechanic.

+1

Me too these days, but when I was in a job that involved being off road a lot I’d do them weekly, and they DID quite often need it. You have to make a decision based on circumstances, I think.

All way best to keep a eye on them, especially when some jealous drivers in the yard slacken them off for you over the weekend Cheers Mel

no you shouldnt be re torqueing wheel nuts but you should be checking for loose wheel nuts as daily checks which is pretty easy to check if you have wheel nut indicators if you havent then you need a small toffee hammer and tap each wheel nuts and one that just sounds a shart clack is tight and one thats a more bass click is loose…this is how vosa will check your wheel nuts at the roadside as they do when you take any vehicle over 3.5tonne for mot…
once wheel nuts have been torqued after a wheel change they should be checked at about 30 to 40 miles in case of dirt or loose rust had got behind the wheel and hub face as this will crush and fall out making the wheel loose…

Dont need to check them if you got a decent company to torque them up in the first place.
Bolts dont come lose unless they have not been tightened up correctly
I dont have to check the bolts that hold on the doors everyday as I know they have been tightened correctly

bubsy06:
Bolts dont come lose unless they have not been tightened up correctly

Wheel nuts can and often do come loose even if tightened correctly. This seems to be more common in my experience with alloy wheels and especially those with the sleeved “retrofit” nuts.

I do my trailer wheels (which has alloy wheels with retrofit nuts) with a torque wrench most weeks. There is almost always at least one nut out of the 60 that needs tightening slightly.

The unit is only done with a torque wrench at the 6 weekly inspection as it is on steel wheels and even then it’s rare for any of the 60 nuts to need tightening.

Of course I do a visual check for loose nuts as part of my daily checks also.

Paul

why is it just the wheel nuts that have to be checked? surely the steering wheel nut/s is just as important

i always check the rears after a couple of hundred miles if the wheel has been removed,them check them again after another couple of hundred miles.
i dont trust those arrow indicators after an incident where the indicator things said all was well but the clanking from the rear on full lock told me otherwise.

bubsy06:
why is it just the wheel nuts that have to be checked? surely the steering wheel nut/s is just as important

your steering wheel nut isnt removed on a regular basis,and doesnt spin with the centrifugal force that a road wheel does!!

my mrs checks my nuts regulaly :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bubsy06:

I think the nut behind the wheel needs to be VOR’d on a regular basis. :laughing:

greggy:
my mrs checks my nuts regulaly :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

She does mine too.

How about the old trailer wheel nuts when we had left and right hand thread on alternate sides, that was more of a reason for wheels falling off when the driver slackened them on his weekly check :angry:

Flying wheels…

transportengineer.org.uk/art … ment-.aspx

bubsy06:

The wheel nuts get a lot of hammer from all the lumps and bumps on the wonderful roads we have in this country, that’s why. All that clattering and banging through potholes and over speed bumps has the potential to eventually cause them to come loose.

Paul

On the trailer I used yesterday there was a label showing the frequency and torque for a whole list of bolts.

The wheels were daily and the 5th wheel were weekly - I don’t remember the others. Needless to say no one takes any notice and they are left for the 6 weekly inspection.

8 wheelers :smiley: are notorious for them coming loose i just tighten them with a wheel brace put the yellow indicators back on