Truck with few wheel nuts

a few photos of how few wheel nuts you can get away with.
i took a photo of the same truck at the begining of the year,
now at the end of the year nothing has changed.

this photo was taken 9 months ago.

As far as I can see there is only one missing so whats the problem 2 nuts the rest internal studs seen worse
Roger

Agree, with these Isuzu, they have a set of studs fitted to the hub.
Onto these studs another, hollow stud is screwed on to secure the wheel. These are tightened by the square end you can see.
Once those are tightened, another wheel can be fitted and secured with wheel nuts, for twin wheels.

Not usually fitted on the front axle, but when fitted to rears, it means you can take the outer wheel off without a jack. Just drive the inner wheel onto a block of wood and the outer nuts can be removed without the inner wheel coming loose.

As stated, in the picture above, there are 2 studs missing from the front wheel, and one of those has a nut in it’s place, so there’s still 6 studs and one nut holding the wheel on.
The other nut you can see serves no purpose, other than for a spare.

Still dunno how rear wheel studs end up on the fronts though.

the thames 4ds in the 50s had a similar thing on the rear double wheels. fredm

Yank twin wheel system, the original was designed by the Budd company.

A few years ago on holiday in Malta I noticed a broken wheelstud on the local bus, a few days later the same bus had another broken stud! i reluctantly got on,but towards the end of our extended holiday the same bus now had four broken studs!!! I didn’t get on :open_mouth: :open_mouth: My good lady called me bloody allsorts!!! She thought I was only making excuses,as we had had a few words about a boat trip I didn’t want to go on. Happy days!!! Regards Kev.

Evening all, Budd wheel system, the safest ever!!! No worries…(perhaps)…Cheerio for now.

back somewhere in the mists of time we had 3 ex us army gmc lime spreaders with the buds type wheel nuts . what a pain , we couldn’t keep them tight , always renewing them . it could have been something to do with the truck designed as a 3 tonner carrying 14 tons every day though !

And on the Ford, as you unscrewed the outer nut, the inner “stud” came with it!

Trick there is to NOT lubricate the inners and torque them to 50nm more than the (lubricated) outers.

Nuts Ok! But doors missing for sure! :stuck_out_tongue: