Hoveringham gravels

…,a sad sight indeed ! as you say only the memories are left :frowning:

Ken

Here’s a scan from a Foden News dated December 1959.

Hi just found this on another thread,looking at it closely i seem to think
this is the tractor unit that hoveringham gravels midlands regeon purchaced to replace the old scammell RVO 748F.unfortunately
there is no reg number to confirm my theory,and the added crane also throws me.Does any member have any information of the
volvo prior to it loosing its reg no,many thanks in antisipation yours nigel hunt.

Heres a great photo taken in the garage in the fifties.

Once more many thanks to all the members for their input into this thread.As some members are aware there is a book hopefully being
published about hoveringham gravels sometime in the near future.

.If this is the same vehicle the reg number was RVO 294N.

Great pics nigel look forward to reading the book,used to see a lot of the fodens while at maltby grammar school looking out of the window instead of studying,they used to come past butlers on blyth road before joining rotherham road.

I found this link regarding the current research that is being prepared for the forthcoming book. I,m looking forward to the publication … ?
bakewelltoday.co.uk/communit … -1-4564237

Regards.,

Ken

kenthepipe:
I found this link regarding the current research that is being prepared for the forthcoming book. I,m looking forward to the publication … ?
bakewelltoday.co.uk/communit … -1-4564237

Regards.,

Ken

Still beavering away with this, some 500x pictures now captioned up, that was a good write up in the Matlock Mercury , had a similar one in the Newark Advertiser…

Available now, a Code 3 model based on the Oxford Diecast Hoveringham 1/76 AEC, with new decals professionally made for me, coverted to the Hoveringham Stone livery from Dene Quarry, Cromford,Derbyshire, decals also available to convert your own (please PM for more info), limited to 25x models only.

I know this is a bit off subject but I am looking for any info regarding a quarry Hoveringham Gravel Co operated at Gatewood Lane, Old Cantley, Doncaster in the 60’s/70’s. I am looking for dates of operation, extraction maps and details , details of security fencing , photo’s etc. Anything really would help , thanks
Jon

jon1962:
I know this is a bit off subject but I am looking for any info regarding a quarry Hoveringham Gravel Co operated at Gatewood Lane, Old Cantley, Doncaster in the 60’s/70’s. I am looking for dates of operation, extraction maps and details , details of security fencing , photo’s etc. Anything really would help , thanks
Jon

Jon, I have some 500x pictures here on Hoveringham, but nothing specific to Cantley Quarry, I too have all the Hoveringham Trunk Call Magazines, and no mention either. In the first Hoveringham Annual Report to Shareholders in 1964 , all locations are listed, and there is a listing, under the Central Region, Cantley Quarry, Off Common Lane, Cantley, Nr Doncaster. Tel Armthorpe 442. It had ceased to be listed from the 1967 report onwards, and never appeared in any others again. I know later, a number of quarries hauled their feedstock to Finningley Quarry via the public roads for processing…Apart from that nothing else. I’ll have a chat with Nigel Hunt on here, as he was a fitter at Finningley, and may know its fate…

This years Hoveringham Reunion, will be held at the Reindeer Inn, Hoveringham Monday 10th December (Not sure of the time yet, but evening)

windrush:
Ah the famous wagon and pup which worked from Dene! Regular trips to Birmingham depots with black, and sometimes the trailer was"accidently" left down there so the driver could get another load back down to collect it ha ha! :smiley:

Pete.

Hi I was that driver
Cliff

cliff bradley:

windrush:
Ah the famous wagon and pup which worked from Dene! Regular trips to Birmingham depots with black, and sometimes the trailer was"accidently" left down there so the driver could get another load back down to collect it ha ha! :smiley:

Pete.

Hi I was that driver
Cliff

Hi Cliff, Barry Mothersole gave me the information so blame him if it’s wrong! :slight_smile: He kept his eye on you all. I worked for Eric Gough for five years, (not in those days though) do you remember him? Didn’t Chris who worked for Slinter Mining drive it as well? Good days in Dene back then I reckon, I was based at Ballidon and that was a cracking job. I live close to Rod Gill, another name you will recall I think.

Pete.

I know i have asked the question on another thread but has anyone photos of the half-cab Fodens that used to run double-shifted from Stowfield in the late 60s/early 70s?

Retired Old ■■■■:
I know i have asked the question on another thread but has anyone photos of the half-cab Fodens that used to run double-shifted from Stowfield in the late 60s/early 70s?

Recently obtained this photo of hoveringham foden dumper but not able to give any info as to which quarry it was taken.

The stone looks a bit magnesian so could it probably be Bolsover or the quarry that they aquired at Hayfield about the time they moved into stone quarrying 1965ish but they closed down soon after.The other quarries they aquired were surely carboniferous limestone,but then again ? :slight_smile:
Mike.

Wirksworth station with a Hoveringham Stone tipper feeding a railway wagon. The lorry would have been based at Dene quarry.

nigelhunt:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Recently obtained this photo of hoveringham foden dumper but not able to give any info as to which quarry it was taken.

Taken at Asham Wood Quarry on the Mendips, later to be RH Roadstone, when Redland (Westdown Quarry) merged their interests with Hoveringham (Asham Wood Quarry) and they operated the Mendip Quarries together…