Hoveringham gravels

RVO 748F was new to Hoveringham Gravels, in 1968, and spent all of its working life with company with the low loader on the back, but has resurfaced fully restored as per the above picture (Belvoir Castle Steam Rally with thanks to “ERFMEC” via Flick-R) , but according to the DVLA web site is still Orange…Does anyone know where she has been all these years, or have any pictures of her in Hoveringham colours ? If so it would make an old man (!) very happy …

johnoglesby:
An eight wheeler model is due from Oxford diecast soon, I don’t know what vehicle but it will be Hoveringham livery, keep watching!
All the best, John Oglesby.

Its the Ergomatic at the top of this page, followed by a Redland one later this year…

Have I put these on before ? I can’t remember,but know harm in showing them again.
transportphotos.com/road/photos

TARMAC:

RVO 748F was new to Hoveringham Gravels, in 1968, and spent all of its working life with company with the low loader on the back, but has resurfaced fully restored as per the above picture (Belvoir Castle Steam Rally with thanks to “ERFMEC” via Flick-R) , but according to the DVLA web site is still Orange…Does anyone know where she has been all these years, or have any pictures of her in Hoveringham colours ? If so it would make an old man (!) very happy …

Spent many happy hours riding in her when she belonged to hoveringham,the driver at that time was a chap called sandy sutherland,he was a big scotsman.I myself have been trying to obtain photos of her in hoveringham livery but to no avail.I used to be sandys low loader mate when he had a police move.We collected many new 22RB dragline machines from
ruston bucyrus at lincoln.We also moved many D8 catterpillar tractors for Mitcham Plant Hire,who contracted there machines for top soiling.If any photos appear it will make
TWO OLD MEN, EXTREAMLY HAPPY.

Nice to see he Highwayman restored but another one that spent its whole life working as a tractor unit is now a b?**dy ballast tractor

tribsa:
Nice to see he Highwayman restored but another one that spent its whole life working as a tractor unit is now a b?**dy ballast tractor

I am with you on that - what is the obsession with Ballast tractors??

Toddy2:

tribsa:

I am with you on that - what is the obsession with Ballast tractors??

the obsession is the fact that most of these ballast tractors are mot exempt after a quick conversion!!
I am not keen on them myself, infact quite a lot of older restored trucks get round the need to test every year one way or another

How does that work then??

Does that mean that I can but an ugly box on the back of a unit with a bit of concrete in it & avoid testing??

I keep hearing all these stories about - take off the fifth wheel plate & drive in car licence
& seeing adverts in mags for vehicles claiming LEZ exempt

But when I check the Vosa website, or the TFL reg checker - I cant find anything to substantiate these claims,

SO either there are people out there a lot a smarter than me (quite likely)
or some people have a different interpretation of the rules - and havent been stopped yet

it’s not that hard to do, if you look at the list of commercial vehicles/tractors/mobile plant, that are exempt from testing .
Now the grey area, some/most of these conversions are done just to fall outside the testing requirement, and if the truth was told in the event of a road accident
the owner/driver could soon end up in hot water!!

some people have a different/loose interpretation of the rules - and havent been stopped yet

Three of my Hoveringham collection, latest addition is the Oxford diecast AEC ergo, that Iv,e modded with twin tipping rams and a load of sand.
The Matchbox king size Foden was found in a bit of a state one day while digging the garden, must have been there years.

DSCF0087.JPG

Nice collection ,Did you know that oxford diecast also do an A E C in hoveringham stone colours.

nigelhunt:
Nice collection ,Did you know that oxford diecast also do an A E C in hoveringham stone colours.

…, thanks Nigel, no I never knew that, have you any information on it. I have heard that OD are releasing an 8 wheel Hoveringham tipper later this year
but not sure when ?

Sorry i cant help,but will get back to you when i find out.

Heres a picture of an A E C i first drove whilst working at hoveringham.

nigelhunt:

…, many thank,s :wink:

kenthepipe:

nigelhunt:

…, many thank,s :wink:

The Hoveringham Stone ones (with black tipper body), I have converted (i have more available at £16.50 inc post), also decals are in production to make a third version ex Dene Quarry, with black tipper body, orange Hoveringham Stone writing, and Dene Quarry Cromford on the cab…Please PM me if interested

DAF working out of Elvaston Quarry (Near Derby)

Just found a couple of clippings, think they are from the Leyland Journal about 1963/4

Trev.

Over 60 years separate these shots…From its earliest days in 1948 thru to present day, all gone now, just the memories…