Hoveringham tippers (with a Breaker thrown in as well)

Anyone got a photo or two of the half-cab Fodens that Hoveringham used to run out of Forest of Dean?

Great pics of a company long gone but not forgotten.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Anyone got a photo or two of the half-cab Fodens that Hoveringham used to run out of Forest of Dean?

great pics bonkey, would you mind sticking some of the tilcon pics you have up including the half cabs?
cheers moose

Great pictures. So that’s Huddersfield Road in Mirfield in the 60’s presumably? I also remember thos old BMC vans like the ‘Wonderleaf’ one in that pic with the windows at knee-level, they used to use them as bread vans.

The wrecker still exists. My old man, Bob Scrivener (known throughout the company as “Bob the B…d” )was foreman of the Static Plant department , worked for Hoveringham for 43 years and was involved in its build.

Dad claimed that when they tested the crane, the fitters positioned the wrecker at the top of a loading ramp, and used it to lift a loaded 4-wheeler clean off the floor; about 16 tonnes deadweight.

I was fortunate enough to grow up within sight and earshot of Hoveringham quarry, and to this day I can tell a Foden two-stroke miles away… music!

The wrecker was originally an 8-wheel tipper of course, which had I believe been damaged in an accident. It was the last surviving working “Hoveringham lorry”, being transferred to Tarmac’s Bellmoor depot when the Hoveringham garages closed in the 1980’s. It had by this time been repainted in Tarmac khaki livery.

AFAIK it now lives in Herefordshire, awaiting restoration. If only I had the room, cash and skill! :unamused:

For the record, KNN616E, the S21 in one of the pictures, has also been preserved.

Isn’t it just beautiful? :wink:

One of those beautifully preserved 8 wheeler Fodens either lives at or is often visiting Pearsons Transport on the edge of Coventry about 5 miles from where I live :smiley: