Hobby Interest: Egypt

Saw this rather spectacular event over the weekend just gone…

Spent 2000 and 2001 in Egypt, and always wanted to go back there, but now it seems President Sisi has totally regenerated the entire country during this period these last few years where the western Media did their usual thing of “boycotted Egypt 'cos they got rid of the Muslim Brotherhood government” by military means, rather than the ballot box, which as we all know by this point is all-too-easy to rig with the help of Chinese hardware and software alone…

I’d have to say that Egypt is most definitely back in business now, and Sisi appears to have done a damned good job at bringing such a lazarus-style comeback - about.

I’ve been interested in Egypt since I was a kid, and wanted to be an Egyptologist before I ended up doing the more mundane Physical Sciences instead…
(When I couldn’t get a job doing Science, I ended up elevating to the lofty heights of Steering Wheel Attendant instead!)

If anyone has any musings they’d like to make about Egypt - post it on here, and let’s see if we can get away from the usual political stuff, that I have since tired of…

Been there on Holiday? Would like to?
Fancy doing more than Scuba Diving at Sharm El Sheik?
Interested in the History?
Into the culture and art style thing?

Post your thoughts, people…

…It isn’t all about haggling, “how many camels for your wife”…

I saw they were pushing for a small payment for the disruption to shipping with Ever Given.

$1000,000,000,000 sounds like a lot of noughts. I didnt realise a ship has a flight recorder like a black box and records every steering input, vocals and signals sent to the engine, etc, could make interesting reading on the Board of Trade enquiry.

Meanwhile in Hull we havent heard any more about Laura Plummer and her drug running.

Wheel Nut:
I saw they were pushing for a small payment for the disruption to shipping with Ever Given.

$1000,000,000,000 sounds like a lot of noughts. I didnt realise a ship has a flight recorder like a black box and records every steering input, vocals and signals sent to the engine, etc, could make interesting reading on the Board of Trade enquiry.

Meanwhile in Hull we havent heard any more about Laura Plummer and her drug running.

Has the carrier pigeon not reached you yet? Released.

theguardian.com/uk-news/201 … -return-uk

I love Egypt too mate and dived at Hurghada and Sharm el Sheik with a diving club ,we did the Thistlegorm World War Two ship wreck with the Captain’s tub in his cabin and the motorbikes in the cargo hold , comprising of one week daily boat charters and one week on a live aboard yacht which means you can further out to sea .
My second time to Egypt i stayed in a luxurious hotel that was massive and looked like a royal palace and not expensive, with six luxury restaurants to choose, meaning you had to book ahead to get a table.

And for about £70 quid I did a two day tour of Cairo , the mini bus picks you up at about 22.00 then drive all night, arriving at about 08.00 to start a full day’s site seeing, with breakfast and an evening meal included, a bargain.

I first went out there in May 2000 taking up a holiday for 2 at 80% off normal price. Me and the Mrs got two weeks in the Isis Hotel, Luxor (4 stars - but more like 5*) for £312 including airport transfer in Egypt (left my car at the airport at Gatwick and that cost of £25 for the fortnight’s parking was nearly 10% of the whole holiday cost!!)

Got to know the neighborhood on that first trip, and eventually decided upon a more DIY approach for my second trip, where I stayed with a family on the other side of town.

Employed a local to be my Arab voice, doubling up as Guide and he got his cousin (no English) to drive us all about to wherever we wanted to go. Got Ali to buy our tickets, and haggle the best prices for us on everything, so we ended up doing “Excursions” on a Bespoke (by me) layout, costing us £20 per day for the pair of us rather than the £60 per person for sweating it out on a tourist coach during the heat of the day…

No comparison…

I’m keen to get back out there again, and might even retire there, seeing as the cost of living is about £25pw for accommodation and £20pw for food… Electricity is practically free, since it comes from the Aswan Dam, and everything down the south of Egypt - is lit up like a Christmas tree, so the only poor aspect to our desert trip was the lack of dark skies for me to do a bit of stargazing as well - another of my hobbies…

I dislike the National Geographic bent on Egypt, as they seek to sensationalize and monetize Egypt as if it were their Tourist Trap…
My understanding is that President Sisi has sent them packing, and has made Egypt for the Egyptians now in our time…

And why the hell not?

This woman seems to have a better way of seeing stuff “off the beaten track” than most, but when I was out there - I was offered (for a fee of £10-20) tombs to be opened for our perusal, and I turned down an offer to see the Tomb of Nefertari for £20, which I’ve now yet to see… It is the best decorated tomb in Egypt…

Tutankhamun’s tomb - has the Pharaoh himself lying in state in there, and the tomb of Seti II had the mummy of Nebseni, a court official - lying at the entrance in his own hermatically sealed glass case as well… Fitting, seeing as he was originally found blocking the entrance to the now famous Deir El Bahri cache found in 1881 which had 36 royal mummies in there, another 14 found a few years later in 1898 in the newly discovered tomb of Amenhotep II - the first pharaoh ever to be found still in his own sarcophagus at that time…

Back in 2000, Egypt was recovering it’s reputation knock it took from the 1997 Hatshepsut Temple massacre, meaning tourism was down 90% - just fine and dandy for an antisocial git like me, even back then…

Following the spectacular parade last weekend, I would have to agree with this lady’s verdict that “Now is a great time to go” - still quiet, after the lockdown, but before the huge crowds of tourists turn up to spoil it all again…

I also spent a weekend at Hurgada coastal resort, travelling the 4 hours across the Eastern Desert in local’s vehicles, rather than any fancy coaches… Went snorkelling in the Red Sea doing that, and almost come a cropper from the severe sunburn I got on my back legs, which put me into some kind of shock at the time… I don’t remember the trip across the desert back to Luxor, put it that way…

If I were to retire there, I would probably buy up something like Castle Carter on the West Bank…
Zoopla - eat your heart out!

Winseer:
Tutankhamun’s tomb

I can remember people saying they wouldn’t go to see the exhibition here in the day and I’ve believed the curse of the Pharoe’s ever since. :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=4evKwTK1ImM 43.2 -

edukalife.blogspot.com/2013/09/ … hamun.html

Check out the story of those involved in the London exhibition cargo operation.I also heard that story in the day.