Henley transport co ltd remember them?

Photo from the web.

Don’t think this photo has been seen on here before. Nmp.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 19.36.07.png

I’m sure its been explained on here way back but whats the significance of H P Henley on the door?

Here are some photos of RKJ 160M which I bought for restoratin in 2005 then sold on in 2011. A lovely wagon great to drive.
Cheers, Leylan 600.

sandway:
I’m sure its been explained on here way back but whats the significance of H P Henley on the door?

H.P. Henley Ltd. Today the external suits who seem to think companies have to re- Brand themselves every five minutes would have turned Spelmonden Estate Company, H.P Henley Ltd, and Henley Transport Co Ltd into " Henley Group".

H.P. Henley was Henry Percy Henley, always referred to as Father or Percy - the overall Chief. IIRC there were two farms Spelmonden and (little?) Pattenden which was H.P Henley Ltd.

Chris will know more.

Henley’s ERF seen here in Southampton.

sandway:

As explained by Cav 551 H P Henley was the old man Percy who started off in farming and his eldest son Jack started the transport operation.
RKJ 160M was originally new to Henley Transport Co Ltd and was used o general haulage along with market work.
The farm always had a 4 wheeler flat for doing odd jobs like bin running and sometimes it had a cattle float on its back.
The Commer Maxiload 4 wheeler was up for replacement so when RKJ 160M was pensioned off from the transport it passed onto the farm side to become their lorry hence by its signwritten with H P Henley Spelmonden Estate Co Ltd on the doors.
Like most firms do they weigh up whats viable and whats not like deciding no longer to grow hops and all of these buildings were converted and rented out.
Likewise on the farm with Livestock they decided to concentrate on arable and fruit farming so they no longer really needed a farm lorry and it was sold to Gerald Walker of ■■■■■■■ .

There seem to be a lot of Henley photos floating around on the web at the moment. Hope there are some amongst them that haven’t been seen before.

146364365_10218421659109785_8376968644158649386_n.jpg

Nmp. I understand the long 8 wheeler did mainly Atcost work but I remember loading fruit alongside it one day. Driver told me work was slack on the concrete side.

A photograph done for Boalloy showing the various Tautliner bodies in use by the company.

A model which I received from Jack Henley yesterday.
This was based on GKR 310Y the only C series sleeper coupled to a Boalloy Insuliner.

Apologies if the answer to this question has been posted within this thread but I often wonder why long established companies the size of Henley’s pack up? Were they taken over or just decided to call it a day?

Jack had no heirs to inherit the business. As I understand it the offer was one which no sane man would have refused. He thought the WRM (dirty word) consortium were out of their tree. When he saw the mess they had made of it he did consider buying it back for a song but thought better of it. My guess is that he saw what the industry was going to become and knew to steer clear of dipping his toe in again. The days of doing business on a handshake were on their way out.

cav551:
Jack had no heirs to inherit the business. As I understand it the offer was one which no sane man would have refused. He thought the WRM (dirty word) consortium were out of their tree. When he saw the mess they had made of it he did consider buying it back for a song but thought better of it. My guess is that he saw what the industry was going to become and knew to steer clear of dipping his toe in again. The days of doing business on a handshake were on their way out.

Very sad to see these old companies disappear. :frowning:

cav551:

WRM I do hope Dennis is not reading this thread

Haven’t seen this photo before.

Untitled.png

Nmp.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 16.40.46.png

MLL 570L was an Atkinson Defender 8 wheeler the company ran.
it was a unique lorry as it was the longest Rigid Atkinson built.
It was ran for several years on a mix of general haulage (mainly concrete roof beams for farm building) and also fruit haulage.
After it was sold it done over 20 years on the showmans circuit with 2 owners before being left to rot.
I am glad to say its been rescued and undergoing a full restoration up in the North West of the country, the restoration is gathering a great pace so hopefully a few months we will see it finished.
A few photos of when new and when rescued.

lawrence2765:
122MLL 570L was an Atkinson Defender 8 wheeler the company ran.
it was a unique lorry as it was the longest Rigid Atkinson built.
It was ran for several years on a mix of general haulage (mainly concrete roof beams for farm building) and also fruit haulage.
After it was sold it done over 20 years on the showmans circuit with 2 owners before being left to rot.
I am glad to say its been rescued and undergoing a full restoration up in the North West of the country, the restoration is gathering a great pace so hopefully a few months we will see it finished.
A few photos of when new and when rescued.

Great stuff Lawrence! Let’s hope they put it back in Henley’s livery.