Henley transport co ltd remember them?

My Father purchased a wide spread Crane Fruehauf flat from Henleys and mounted a crane on it for delivering roof tiles from Marley at Sevenoaks and Redlands at Westerham. The wide spread bogie was closed up to make the trailer better suitable for building sites. Picture courtesy of Gary Humphrey.

NMP
Another golden oldie from Jack Henleys collection.
OKK 160 F seen here at the Kent County Show on the W H Gatward stand who were the local Aec dealers at the time based in Maidstone.
This was the first of 3 Aec V8 Mandators the company ran I am almost sure it was new to Jimmy Hopkins who later went on to form J & E Transport in the Brenchley area.
Note the Henley modification to the front a bit of extra protection for the radiator which on the V8 model was exposed at the bottom.

Another great photo! Do you know the registration number of the third V8 as the book on the V8 lists three chassis for Henley but only has two registration numbers.
It’s a pity the photo isn’t a bit clearer to show the reg number of the Tomkinson Mandator

tyreman:
Another great photo! Do you know the registration number of the third V8 as the book on the V8 lists three chassis for Henley but only has two registration numbers.
It’s a pity the photo isn’t a bit clearer to show the reg number of the Tomkinson Mandator

I would have liked to see the registration number as my father drove for Tomkinsons and Henleys both twice.
The Tomkinson Aec is actually a Marshall 6 wheeler.

The lorry next to Tomkinsons is signwritten for ****** and Cooper transport ltd. I can recall seeing their lorries about but can’t for the life of me remember WHO and Cooper or where they were from.

Any recollections?

ERF-NGC-European:

This would have been after the wrm takeover as one of the first things they done was to remove the bull bars off the front of the vehicles , one thing Henley Transport Co Ltd was well known for.

NMP
ERF E14 H73 CKM powered by ■■■■■■■ 365 engine and fitted with the Eaton Samt gearbox.
I never understood this new livery on the Fridge Trailers plus also the logo on the cab air deflector when it was introduced it in my mind never went with the Tractor units I felt.

I heard today that ex Henley driver Peter Elliott has died. Apparently he was killed in a road accident. Sad news indeed.

NMP
Jack Henley sitting next to Robin Draper (Drapers Transport West Thurrock) at an RHA Conference , possibly Bobby Heaton (Heatons of St Helens behind)

L3981p.JPGNMP a Mark Bailey - Paul Gee photo hope they don’t mind me using.
JKE 371V with Spelmonden nr Goudhurst based Paul Newton behind the wheel.

I notice there are lots of old Henley pics on the M20 Truck Photos site this morning, for Henley fans :wink: . Robert

I see there is now a Henley Transport Facebook page

Some photos there I’ve not seen before, plus a folder for Lowe’s and Colin Ashby. Quite a good page.

The attached is on e-bay today showing the WH Gatward stand at the '73 Kent Show. KKK715L belonged to a firm called Goldwell. The Tomkinsons AEC is NKE104M. Is it a flat or a tractor? The Henley ERF looks like RKJ640M.

Henleys AKJ280K is also on e-bay today. What is the name on the headboard?

Goldwells were a mixer drink manufacturer who operated from Mill Street East Malling at the time. They later moved to a unit on Quarry Wood industrial estate not far from what used to be Underwood’s yard.

tyreman:
The Facebook page has not been updated since 2013. Some photos there I’ve not seen before, plus a folder for Lowe’s and Colin Ashby. Quite a good page.

The attached is on e-bay today showing the WH Gatward stand at the '73 Kent Show. KKK715L belonged to a firm called Goldwell. The Tomkinsons AEC is NKE104M. Is it a flat or a tractor? The Henley ERF looks like RKJ640M.

Henleys AKJ280K is also on e-bay today. What is the name on the headboard?

I created the Facebook page yesterday for Henley Transport Co Ltd.
Etasa is the name on the headboard a customer in the 70s early 80s

Aec Mercury just loaded hops at the company farm at Spelmonden these would have been ran down to the Hops Marketing Board at Paddock Wood right by the main Henley Transport depot. Chances are they would not have been sheeted as it was a short trip under 10 miles.
This Aec was originally based in Newark on the Charcon contract where 2 vehicles were based , Charcons had a large factory in Tonbridge in Kent manufacturing concrete beams.
We lived in Tonbridge so when my Father drover for the company he done a lot of work out the Tonbridge Charcons delivering 60 and 70 concrete beams all over the country.

L790 EKE parked up loading from Norman Colletts in Hop Pocket Lane in Paddock Wood.
its quite hard to believe that the yard Norman Colletts occupied was our old yard which we sub let to Colletts.
The grill of the unit painted in the old fleet colour of suntan showing that Jack couldn’t never let go off that colour , despite the ribbing he took from people over it he always had the same answer at least you wont forget me.

lawrence2765:
0Aec Mercury just loaded hops at the company farm at Spelmonden these would have been ran down to the Hops Marketing Board at Paddock Wood right by the main Henley Transport depot. Chances are they would not have been sheeted as it was a short trip under 10 miles.
This Aec was originally based in Newark on the Charcon contract where 2 vehicles were based , Charcons had a large factory in Tonbridge in Kent manufacturing concrete beams.
We lived in Tonbridge so when my Father drover for the company he done a lot of work out the Tonbridge Charcons delivering 60 and 70 concrete beams all over the country.

LKJ 320 F, one of the ‘canaries’. There is another picture of this vehicle when brand new on Gatwards stand at the Kent County show on page 16 of this thread. I took this vehicle back to Charcon Buildings at Newark after it had been down to Spelmonden for service. Coincidentally it was loaded with hops for Bass at Burton on Trent for delivery on the way up. I swapped vehicles at Newark for another Mercury loaded with Charcon concrete for Morpeth, then back into Charcon at Hulland Ward for kerbs to bring back to the south east somewhere.

Nmp photo .
Permission from Robert Burridge to post the original photographer to post.
Luis Gordons in Maidstone which was in Hart Street round by the market which obviously by now been redeveloped.
Gordons were the Uk agents for Domeqc sherry.
The sherry was delivered into the Maidstone premesis by tanker which had loaded direct of the boat in Newhaven docks , it was bottled on site in Maidstone and distributed from there.
Erf B series OKP 731R brings a tank load in whilst WKO 72S has reloaded bottled sherry for distribution.
This job sadly came to an end when a ruling came in that the sherry had to be bottled in its country of origin.