Health and safety not implemented enough

Often these measures seem about desperately trying to save time.

When I was just starting out, I didn’t like pulling curtains and lifting drop sides on one side of the trailer as the forkie banged reels onto the other side. It was normal practice, and it mystified and annoyed them when I decided I wasn’t going to keep doing it.

A Zimmer frame to let the forkie know you’re working on the trailer? Why not just sit in the cab until something needs doing, then the forkie can come up to the cab and signal you. You move the curtains and when you’re back in the cab he carries on. Then leaves you in peace to strap it up.

Rush rush rush.

robroy:

El Deano:
Anyone got pic of the zimmer frames at Lafarge?

I took a photo at the time knowing nobody would believe me :smiley: , but I lost it.

It was a thing on wheels with a flashing orange light on a pole :laughing:
If you moved sround the wharehouse you had to push it around with you, looking a complete 2 at :laughing:
It made me think that the knob who thought it up got the idea when he saw his Nan with a zimmer visiting her at the weekend. :smiley:
Wonder how much bonus he got for coming up with that one. :unamused: :smiley:

Agree with your first post and this Rob, it’s got naff all to do with health or safety anymore and really it’s gone past the point of preventing litigation.
I actually wonder wether some of these bods sit down and play a game of “see what we can get away with” when it comes to health and safety.
My favourite story is from a mate who worked on the Wavin contract, he went to deliver into Travis Perkins North at Blackpool and was stopped half way across the yard as he carried a few pipes in over his shoulder, he was told it was against health and safety to deliver like that by the yard manager and quick as a flash asked if he had bought and paid for them could he carry it out as customer…he said you could almost see his brain melt behind his eyes…

robroy:
Yeh ok we all know it really is, and that it is well over the top…but.

Following on from dozy’s latest adventures :smiley: , where he was expected to (and actually did :unamused: ) sleep in a flea infested cab, with a bunk that was discoloured and crusty with some dirty [zb] 's bodily fluids :open_mouth: , …
My point is …Why is the ‘‘Health’’ part in ‘‘Health and safety’’ not usually as strictly enforced than the ‘‘Safety’’ part of it??

(It’s a rhetorical question btw, the less naive and brainwashed amongst us know for a fact that in real terms ‘‘They’’ don!t give [zb] about drivers health and safety, but in reality it is just an arse covering/box ticking excercise implemented by wonkers in office jobs on more money than us :bulb: )
Proven by places that won’t let you strap up on their premises, but tell you to do it on the road outside for example. :smiling_imp:

So.
There are cabs out there like dozy’s.

There are driver’s bogs out there for us to use that are ‘‘Trainspotting’’ themed :open_mouth:

Showers that you would not wash your [zb] dog in, in case it caught summmet.
AND a lot of these places are provided by our own company depots ffs, mine being one of them, so I have contacted the actual owner in the past…so he sent some bloke in with a mop and bucket ffs, instead of a team of decorators, thinking that would solve the problem :unamused:

I once rang up H&S guy at DFDS terminal at Immingham a few years ago when a bit ■■■■■■ off , (after walking in the driver’s shower,.and walking straight back out)
I asked him why he was so selective with his H&S policies, whereby you were bollocked as if you’d just murdered some [zb] if they caught you walking around without a hi viz in broad daylight :unamused: , but they were happy to ignore the disgusting state of the health hazard facilities that they provided for visiting drivers.
I got all the crap about drivers leaving mess in there and many being dirty basts etc etc.
Which is true in many cases sadly, but that is what cleaners are for, and why every other establishment you can think of employ them.

So if these type of [zb] are going ed to implement all this hi viz/hard hat/clown suit walking around with an orange light attached to a zimmer frame type ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: , with ott enthusiasm (The last bit is true btw :open_mouth: I kid you not…Lafarge Avonmouth :unamused: ) they should also concentrate on the side of it that IS actually beneficial to us. :bulb:
So I know I’m ■■■■■■■ in the wind saying this with many of you :unamused: …but don’t just readily accept it, have a bit of pride and speak up as ‘‘pro drivers’’ demanding better standards… :bulb:

I’m better prepared this week , this truck looked worse inside if that possible , so I’ve doused it in jungle formula and left it a hour before getting in it , and I’ve got the insect bite & sting relief to put on the bites as soon as they happen , they couldn’t give me a truck of my own but said there trying to sort one for next week , if not I’m on hol for 2 weeks so it will give me a break from this cab hoping / being bit :frowning:

dozy:
I’m better prepared this week , this truck looked worse inside if that possible , so I’ve doused it in jungle formula and left it a hour before getting in it , and I’ve got the insect bite & sting relief to put on the bites as soon as they happen :frowning:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:
dozy, c’mon man, seriously mate, you have not listened to any advice given to you over the 2 threads on this. :unamused:

You should not have to take either preventative or curative measures in order to drive one of Stobart’s ■■■■ heaps, in order to make it l fit for use.
It is their duty of care as employers under H&S rules to provide you with a truck that is not detrimental to your health.
You’ve learned ■■■■ all from your experience last week.
Bottom line mate tell em to provide you with a non health hazard truck or to go and ■■■■ themselves !! :bulb: :bulb:
Jeez H :unamused:
Am I biting (no pun :smiley: ) to a ■■■■ wind up here or what? :smiley:

robroy:

dozy:
I’m better prepared this week , this truck looked worse inside if that possible , so I’ve doused it in jungle formula and left it a hour before getting in it , and I’ve got the insect bite & sting relief to put on the bites as soon as they happen :frowning:

dozy, c’mon man, seriously mate, you have not listened to any advice given to you over the 2 threads on this. :unamused:

You should not have to take either preventative or curative measures in order to drive one of Stobart’s [zb] heaps, in order to make it l fit for use.
It is their duty of care as employers under H&S rules to provide you with a truck that is not detrimental to your health.
You’ve learned [zb] all from your experience last week.
Bottom line mate tell em to provide you with a non health hazard truck or to go and [zb] themselves !! :bulb: :bulb:
Am I biting (no pun :smiley: ) to a [zb] wind up here or what? :smiley:

rob I’ve got better things to do with £4.50 than spend it on stuff for bites , then there’s the jungle formula my Mrs got me and then the stuff I got last week to wind you up , the problem isn’t the management ( this truck today is a 67 plate with 72k ) , it’s the scruffy ■■■■■■■ who drive them and the conditions they seem to feel is acceptable to live in mom - fri or whatever shift they work , I’ve no idea if there’s bugs in this one but muck wise it’s worse than the last one , it looks like he’s never put a rag over it since day
one , roll on the 2 weeks off

dozy:

robroy:

dozy:

You should not have to take either preventative or curative measures in order to drive one of Stobart’s [zb] heaps, in order to make it l fit for use.
You’ve learned [zb] all from your experience last week.
Bottom line mate tell em to provide you with a non health hazard truck or to go and [zb] themselves !! :bulb: :bulb:
Am I biting (no pun :smiley: ) to a [zb] wind up here or what? :smiley:

rob I’ve got better things to do with £4.50 than spend it on stuff for bites , then there’s the jungle formula my Mrs got me and then the stuff I got last week to wind you up , the problem isn’t the management ( this truck today is a 67 plate with 72k ) , it’s the scruffy [zb] who drive them and the conditions they seem to feel is acceptable to live in mom - fri or whatever shift they work , I’ve no idea if there’s bugs in this one but muck wise it’s worse than the last one , it looks like he’s never put a rag over it since day
one , roll on the 2 weeks off

Surely by accepting it, you think it’s acceptable?