Hauliers from around Lancaster & Surrounding area's

Some new ones in Heysham today, these Volvo FHs hit the road tomorrow

Photo by Andrew Taylor
Mick Gorry Ltd.jpg

a lot of “new” wagons appearing round Heysham

Found this on the net,anyone remember it.Apologies if its already been added.

Stanfield:
Found this on the net,anyone remember it.Apologies if its already been added.

Norman Stainton,…some (fair) man , he was !!
He drove for R. Cowin & Co. of Bentham for many years , and acted as fieldsman (livestock loading organizer) for Bob Cowins son , Archie , for a while after he retired from driving. Normans steed was usually an E.R.F., and he`d plod up and down the A 6 (pre - M 6 years) at all hours.

Archie Cowin retired about 20 years ago,…another long-established livestock business now of only a memory.
Theres many a tale about Normans career and events that are widely-known in this area.

Thanks for the nostalgic photograph. Unsure where the photograph was taken , but some other TNUK members
will recognise the location.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Just found this site and ploughing my way through some great memories but one detail evades me.

Back in the early sixties Malcolm Woodhouse had a couple of 8 leggers carrying stone into Keirby & Perry in Bamber Bridge. They had wooden cabs with sliding doors.

What make were they ?

Found this thread down on page 6, we cant have that so just to get it back on page 1 I have added this from the local brewery. I downed a few pints of Mitchells when I lived in Morecambe during the 70s.
Mitchells of Lancaster.JPG

Regarding the Malcolm Woodhouse 8 wheel tippers I was trying to identify that had sliding cab doors. I found out.

They were AECs, posssibly ex ministry.

I used to occasionlly blag a lift to Walton le Dale from Fulwood with them. Pre full M6 of course, when the route was the A6 right through Preston.

Carnforth firm getting in on the woodchip green con.

Houghtons from Garstang

truckfing:
Houghtons from Garstang

Good memories there truckfing,i worked out of high roads for many years with houghtons men.I think that merc was the last block wagon he had ,then did he sell it to danson frae pilling.

I worked at Back Lane as a fitter for a few years and was sent to High Roads occasionally. I once travelled a
30 RB between the quarries (before they put a road in) and often moved wheeled plant around. One Saturday
we were loading in Back Lane and had to weigh in High Roads (via Nether Kellet). I was the only one whose weight
was right, I put it down to knowing the shovel driver at one end and the weighbridge man at the other.
Couple of pictures here that should keep the memories stirring.
flickr.com/photos/16212470@ … 6405196328
flickr.com/photos/16212470@ … 6405196328

A plant mover from Lancaster

good old days.

It appears the last ERF might have left Thursby’s, was in Truckhaven on Saturday when a Millican’s E-series was taking it away on a low loader

Last british truck they had as far as I know :frowning:

Was ACE still driving it

truckfing:

Geoff Packham’s last truck, great pic!

MP4 can’t have impressed.