Hardings brothers/ other ship supply co's

Found this one. Dad on his way to Greece I think in the 70’s. Melvin Ashworth

Welcome Melvyn & Leigh, Leigh last time I spoke to you was when you were tinkering about with Volkswagen Beetles, for a clue of who I am, do you remember the night shipping out in Dover when I picked a random ad from a classic car mag & called the bloke at 3am telling him I was on nights & it was my lunch break, I think the car for sale was a 100E, oh yeah & I remember those silly blue lights you had on your F12 :laughing:

hahaha OMG! yea I do remember that. Im strugling to remember who that was tho. If you remember those REALLY COOL blue lights u obviously worked with us. I’m guessing you are the same dude that was sat with my dad on the top of that hill in spain waiting for me. I heard sum whack job reading a story from a ■■■■ mag for ages on the cb, then as I got closer it got clearer. It was you reading it hahahaha I think it was on the national 3. If its you we share a name, different spelling tho. Let me know… & thanks for the welcome m8…

You got it Leigh, although I don’t remember the ■■■■ mag incident, although it sounds like the kind of thing I’d do when your Dad had got me drunk :laughing: They were good times on there, hard work, but always fun :wink:

So what are you doing now?

Hi Newmercman i had you sussed from the start, nice to connect with you again after all this time, the last time i spoke with you you were driving a black f 12 or 16 i cant remember ,carpets from belgium comes to mind av you still got the small italian no plate with your name on ? & how is your italian now ? it used to be very good mine is very rusty nowadays.you were right about the rollover exept it was in france on the cerdon 15th july 1984 i still have the Pink Floyd tapes.
Gavin, the guy on hardings whose name you could not remember was Eric Slater he was at one time T M at hardings last time i spoke to him was quite a while ago he was still driving for Samworth bros he was well over 70 by then. To use the old CBjargon catch you later, Take Care Melv. :smiley:

Hello Melvyn, yeah it’s been a long time, nice to see you & Jnr pop up on here, that carpet job to Belgium didn’t last long, I was spending more time on a ferry than I was driving, good money though & I paid that F16 off in no time & went back to bella Italia, I can still palare Italiano, it’s like riding a bicicletta :wink: although the only Italian I use now is the word Peronni :laughing:

So you were on the Cerdon when you fell over, I was sure it was something to do with a bus station, I remember you telling me about the gas bottle, the cheesecloth shirt & Pink Floyd tapes, you told it very well, very funny, well except the falling over part & the being knocked out by your gas bottle :open_mouth:

Hiya Guy’s; Melvyn you probably wont remember me I used to work back then for R&G out of Poole,although we didn’t do ships stores back then we did in the later yrs alongside BKG out of Southampton.But one guy I Also remember on Hardings was the Honey monster, Cant mind his real name tho, but had some great w/ends with him in Portugal.I’m sure he left to work on the Portbury flyover. I Got this image in my mind of you driving an 88 or 98 ■■ Regard Stevie,… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi Shady,if you had blondish hair & wore glasses i think i do remember you,we were running down the N10 at BARBEZEAU(cant remember the spelling) when just after the lights i passed on that short bit of twin track you were in a red daf for R&G & i had an 89 for Hardings, you shouted me on the cb to ask if i was loaded as i flew by you, i replied yes & you said something like blimey :astonished: i knew 89s were good but that was awesome. I did confess later that i had done 1 drop in Reims & was on route to Madrid with 5 small drums weighing aprox 50 kilos, as far as i remember we ran together to spain.
As my son said earlier the 89 was the dogs in its day but a 330bhp is a small engine nowadays, some of the newer & bigger ones i have driven the limiter cut in before top gear. I did a spell in France in 85 for Transports Giraud with a Chereau (spelling) fridge which were heavy,kept same trl all the time on there ,when loaded with 21 tons of hanging beef & a Renault 310 on the front it could be quite painfull at times enough of my waffle. The Honey Monsters name is Tony Neath he left Hardings to work on the second severn crossing but returned to Hardings when the bridge was finnished i have not seen him for sume years,Take Care Melv. :smiley:

Hello Papa N,Tony Neath works with me at Ceva logistics at Patchway,a real nice bloke. :smiley:

Bubbs. :wink:

Papa Numpty

Hi Melvyn, dunno if you,ll remember me Tony ( Mappo ) Mapson or my brother Keith.
I used to drive for Davies out of Southampton in the early years of two tone blue 89,s 111,s 141,s then a Globetrotter.
When we started on fridge work we,d export load out of Bells abbatoir in Tadworth nr. Reigate.
The Transport Manager there at the time was none other than Mark Viner. We loaded out with hanging beef mainly to France
and normally reloaded Spain or Italy for Chingford fruit packers in Warspite Rd. Woolwich.
Mark Viner then moved to Chingfords and Solstor was formed.
Me and my mate Cluey left Buzzers for a while when Solstor got their first motors, plain white F10,s but both returned to Davies after a few months.
As you,ll know Melvyn, Davies did Solstors work for a number of years.
Here,s a reminder. This was the first trailer in Solstors Livery. I,d collected it new from Chereaus in Avranches.

Glad to hear you,re still around mate and hope all is ok.

p.s. Keith is still driving for Davies…He,s got the short straw this week doing multi drop starting in Lyon and finishing in Rome.

p.p.s.

Come on Shady, who could ever forget you. Once met never forgotten.

Tony of course i remember you and Keith , When i started for Solstor you had the f12 in the pic . At one time Buzzers were the only trucks pulling Solstors trailers ,we pulled hired plain white ones from Dawsons . I also remember you & Cluey comming to Solstor what a comedown ,from really nice trucks to hired f10s ,The one Cluey had had a green wheel on the front all the rest were black it drove him up the wall & before long you both went back to John .
Glad to be in touch again after all this time Take Care :slight_smile: Melv.

Bubbleman please say hello to Tony for me you are right he is a nice guy and funny with it , you Take Care;Melv. :slight_smile:

Well Melv. kinda remember that incident,but it was a long long time ago,think i new you mite have bin fibbing,'cos mine was a 310 back then a it went well,anyway budie right truck wrong color,twad a white daf but a red trailer,hay who cares.Yep now you said Tony i remember the name a really nice guy,wonder if hes still got the tash.Im on medical trailers now for my sins,silly Kieth woks on here too ,he used to work with you on solstor.Dont take too much notice of mappo,we just humor him 'cos hes gettin on now,sorry Tone you know its true :laughing: :laughing: Hay melv look after your self. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Tir tone …you know that im easily forgotten 'cos im inconspicuous,and didnt do silly things like the rest of you… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Bubs…please say hi to the honey monster from me will you,we had a fantastic w/end in Estoril back in the 80s,thanks. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hey Shady we are all getting on as you put it ,that dosent mean were past it but after all these years its not suprising that a few details get mixed up .
Silly Keith was his nickname but he was not silly there were three keiths on there it was a way of distiguishing them , as it happens (10plus years working out of London) Keith & me share the same birthday but he insist there are a few years difference Take Care Melv. :smiley:

Crack on to macon,Same as you i met so many guys over 26 years i cant allways remember names but if it was you that had a trl full of beer i do remember the trip we were allready there when you arrived , hanging around after punch punch punch we called it hurry up & wait was the norm but the company were getting demarage we were on basic :frowning: but it was a good job in its day i went to many places (not allways good ) that i would never have been on other firms .
Like my son said somtimes memories are most tresured ( spelling) you take care nice to be reminded Melv. :smiley:

Hi guys,
Newmercman we need to talk. Dad has told me where u are these days. To answer ur question of what am I doing now. Well The last truck I had was this baby

I gave that up & worked in a recovery place near me. I was recovering anything from motorbikes to artics. I gave that up after a year & was the opperations manager of a transport company. I then left there & bought a limo business after hiring a 1972 Cadillac Hearse for my wedding. " I liked it so much I bought the company" haha
Here is a pic of it:

Unfournatly my world fell apart in August this year when I discovered the girl I thought I was going to share my dreams & the rest of my life with was having an afair with a so called mate of mine & was pregnant by him. I just couldn’t stand to drive my wedding car around anymore so I sold the Limo business to the world record holding sword swallower in Australia, as random as that sounds.
I now concentrate on my other business which is moving cars & boats around the uk & europe.
This is what I was doing with the Hearse
gothiclimousines.co.uk
This is what Im upto now
auto-haul.co.uk I really need to get on with this website soon ha
Hey Newmercman here is a pic of my 100e that I regret selling in 03

Hi If this has worked you should be able to see 4 of the trucks that I drove during my years at hardings. And yes i still have the tash.

Hiya Tony(honey monster),
Yep thats the way I remember you I can mind one very good w/end in Estoril,it must have been back sometime in the '80s.If you go to the Southampton thread you will see a pic of me there also on the Davies thread… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi Tony, Hey do you remember when we met on a mini bus going to collect some trucks from Exeter to take to Avonmouth? You were working on the second Severn crossing, but there was a strike or a shutdown or something. I got the only Black truck to drive & it just so happened to be the most awesome. It was a F16 500 did I mention the colour■■? BLACK ../

Anyway hope your doing good.

Here are some Harding Bros pics Dad has sent me to put on here:

Secure parking in Naples waited 11 days for a Banana boat 1975.

St Nics Piraeus april 1981, tipped on Syros reloaded Crete.

Egypt sept 1980, note egyptian plates wired on to run to the red sea.

Top ist 89 i had ,pic taken in Lysekil sweden. bottom truck parked on prom outside hotel in Alexandria, agent told me to park there & later rang me saying quick we have to move truck as police are comming to tow it away so we did.

Dad has not sent a description for this one, but that’s me while we were at Den Hartogs yard.

on way to naples 1975.

Early seventies Marseille.

Dave Gilbert AKA Cloth Cap,Brindisi 1977.

After the cab being robbed while my son & me were in a restaurant nr Alicante with an english guy & a dutch Den Hartog driver with his daughter, he told me to go to their depot on the vic road out of Barcelona which we did .
The three drivers that were there2 belgians & a dutchman looked after us really well all weekend these two pics were taken there, unfortunatly i never met any of them again to buy their dinner ect.

I just found this on my laptop.

Brindisi 1977

Good photo that is, shame about my socks haha
Dad’s going to send some more soon…