Guy

Besides the front grilles on those three SoM Guys aren’t the right ones for the 8LXB, so Dennis is still not falling for it! :slight_smile:

Question answered…

gazsa401:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:
As the saying go’s Lads “Hope springs eternal” !! Those Big J’s of SOM were built before the 8LXB engine was launched ! Good try but “No Cigar” :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Not being one to query Mr Smith but didn’t the 240 come out in 1973? I recall having a lift in an Atki Borderer of the Golightly Group from Co. Durham and it was on an “L” plate with an 8-pot Gardner and driver was well chuffed.
Best go away like… :laughing:

Now you can query my drivel anytime Mr. Webb :blush: IIRC the first 8LXB’s appeared on the K Plates late '71 or very early '72 after the truck shows and then generally appearing on the “L” plate in late '72. IIRC there is a shot or two on an earlier thread of a Kinneil Transport 8 LXB K reg “A” Series which the Lad who posted it claims it to have been the first one sold in Scotland which would have been supplied by James Bowen Ltd. who were ERF distributors for all of Scotland at that time. Cheers Dennis.

That’s right Dennis this is my Dad and this is the “A” Series which was on the ERF stand at the 1972 Kelvin Hall Motor Show
Cheers Gary

Thanks for confirming my post Gaz ! Cheers Dennis.

VALKYRIE:

Coomsey:

Retired Old ■■■■:
YES, YES, YES!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We could do with some really really big silencers on this thread. :unamused:

TruckNetUK. Old Time Lorries. Guy. Page 28. VALKYRIE. Wednesday,16th May,2018.

NO! :exclamation: NO! :exclamation: NO! :exclamation: :unamused:

The above photographs show Guy Big J4T Tractive Unit-Articulated Lorries operated by Smith of Maddiston with the original front end sheet
metal styling,and these date from 1964 to around 1971.
All top weight Guy Big J tractive units for the 1971 model year et seq (introduced in 1970) had the new full length square-style, vertical oblong, two piece,fine mesh,radiator grille,which of course included all of the production Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB-Engined Tractive Units,including the one of 29 actually built,in the Peter Davies photograph below:-

Classic Truck,October 2017.In-depth article on Guy Big J Lorry Range,by Peter Davies on pages 18-24.Photograph of a Smith Of Maddiston Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB Tractive Unit-Artic,OWG 852M,on the front & in article.

Don’t take any notice of the misguided and wrong cynics: I have authentic objective proof of the 29 Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB Tractive Units that were actually built by Guy Motors Limited,Wolverhampton,WV10 9QF,from 1973 to 1975. :slight_smile:

The Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB Tractive Unit Mystery is solved. Really.

So let’s move on to another mystery now. :slight_smile:

VALKYRIE

Hello VALKYRIE you well? This is without a doubt the most enigmatic thread on TNet. The Holy Grail, The Black Hole of TNet courtesy of Dennis. I class you as one of the few on here as the fount of wisdom, your words are close to God BUT!!■■ Cheers Paul

Here’s another mixed bag…

GUY HFS 606N.jpg

moomooland:

The Robertson Dale Guy did not have an AEC 7.7 litre engine, but it had the AEC AV470 engine, which some journalists wrongly and erroneously referred to as the 7.7 litre engine. These engines were totally different designs, although of similar cubic capacity. Lazy and incorrect journalism.

I just checked out the reg no of the 8 pot Guy,The reg refers to a FIAT !!! Damm. :cry:

leylandlover:
I just checked out the reg no of the 8 pot Guy,The reg refers to a FIAT !!! Damm. :cry:

Well I never ! obviously someone is “taking the ■■■■” :blush: :frowning: :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gingerfold:

moomooland:

The Robertson Dale Guy did not have an AEC 7.7 litre engine, but it had the AEC AV470 engine, which some journalists wrongly and erroneously referred to as the 7.7 litre engine. These engines were totally different designs, although of similar cubic capacity. Lazy and incorrect journalism.

So “GF” as I am not an AEC devotee could I ask did the AV470 engine supersede the 7:7 our did AEC continue manufacturing them both for a time ? Cheers Dennis.

Some interest history here if we bring the AEC thread into this one ! United Glass must have used a number of Contractors to haul their products. SOM from Alloa in Scotland, Scotts of Oldham in St. Helens and then UG bought Robsons of Carlisle out in '79 when Stan retired. Interesting. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

gingerfold:

moomooland:

So “GF” as I am not an AEC devotee could I ask did the AV470 engine supersede the 7:7 our did AEC continue manufacturing them both for a time ? Cheers Dennis.

No Dennis the dry liner 7.7 litre (actually 7.58 litres) and AV470 didn’t overlap. The first version of the 7.7 litre was introduced in 1934 and it was a relatively long stroke (146mm) engine relative to the cylinder bore (105mm). It produced between 95 - 105 bhp at 1,800 rpm. There were several variants with either indirect or direct fuel injection and it was AEC’s first reliable Diesel engine. It’s most common variants, designated A173 and A187 powered all types of AEC passenger and commercial vehicles from 4,6,8 wheelers and the Matador 4x4. The 7.7 was used by other manufacturers during WW2, including ERF and Atkinson when Gardner engines were given preference to military applications. Production ceased in 1953.

When its replacement in 1953 was the wet liner AV470 (actually 7.68 litres) 112mm bore by 130mm stroke. Power outputs ranged from 115 to 145 bhp at various rpms between 1,800 to 2,400. There was also a 4 cylinder version, the AV312. The AV470 was developed from a little used mid-1930’s AEC engine design of 6.6 litres which was the company’s first trial with wet liners. AEC switched between wet or dry liners for most of its existence. This 1930’s design was resurrected in WW2 when two of these engines powered the Valentine tank. The 1930’s design became the basis for the AV470, and the early 470s gained reputations for having tender cylinder heads, with failed head gaskets. Later AVU470s with unified threads, redesigned studs, redesigned stud patterns, and better head gasket material solved most of the problems, but it was always better to keep the revs high with the 470 and not let it slog. There were three different thicknesses of head gaskets for AV470 engines and skimmed heads needed different gaskets than original heads, something that undoubtedly caught out some mechanics.The AV470 was specifically developed for the AEC medium weight ranges of passenger and commercial vehicles, namely Reliance, Mercury and it was used in the Marshal 6-wheeler when that was introduced in 1960. The AV470 was a popular “loose engine”, being used by Dodge, Guy and Seddon in significant numbers. Production ceased in 1965 when it was replaced by the dry liner AV505.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation “GF” much appreciated ! So the Guy Warrior Light 8 would have used the AV470 ( as well as the 6LW) as the 7:7 had been discontinued when the new cab was launched in 1959 ! Cheers Dennis.

P1000032.JPG

OUD 348F is an Oxford Feb to April 1968 registration so anyone from that area might recognise the reg or what is left of the livery to identify the firm, good luck!

A Guy Big J6T waiting to be exported to Jamaica seen here outside Guy Motors’ Fallings Park factory

moomooland:
0 A Guy Big J6T waiting to be exported to Jamaica seen here outside Guy Motors’ Fallings Park factory

Great shot there Mr M, Double drive hub reduction axles, A go anywhere motor in my book I wonder what Engine it had ?, rEGARDS lARRY.

Don’t go there, Larry, you’ll start him off again! :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great shot there Mr M, Double drive hub reduction axles, A go anywhere motor in my book I wonder what Engine it had ?, rEGARDS lARRY.

Here’s another one Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:
0 A Guy Big J6T waiting to be exported to Jamaica seen here outside Guy Motors’ Fallings Park factory

AEC 505 ! :wink:

moomooland:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Here’s another one Larry.

That double drive Guy was Maddiston based and had a ■■■■■■■ engine.

David