GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

5thwheel:

Retired Old ■■■■:
That’s triggered another memory, Franky:

Is anyone else old enough to remember the smell of a Thorneycroft’s cab? The firm ran four or five in the 1950s and they all had the same aroma, totally different to the Perkins-powered Bedfords of the time. I can still smell it but I haven’t a clue what it was that made it.

Wasn’t the Thornycroft cab frame made of wood ? that could be the cause of the smell when compared to the steel framed Bedford,I vividly recall the smell every time I climbed into the Atkinson I drove for Humber McVeigh’s.

David

It was indeed, David, but it was a peculiarly “metal” smella a bit like the aroma of derv but definitely more metallic.

windrush:
I’m far too young to even remember Thorneycrofts, let alone what they smelt of. :laughing:

Pete.

Who are you trying to kid? Some of us have seen you! There is a rumour that you’ve still got the shovel that you cleaned the ash pan of that Fowler with. :wink:

Speaking of smells in lorries , my abiding memory is when I went with dad s a kid . he drove a foden dg and the fuel filters were in the passenger side of the cab under the windscreen . I still remember the smell of warm diesel and tarmac in the cab , must have got in my blood somehow . Dave

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:
I’m far too young to even remember Thorneycrofts, let alone what they smelt of. :laughing:

Pete.

Who are you trying to kid? Some of us have seen you! There is a rumour that you’ve still got the shovel that you cleaned the ash pan of that Fowler with. :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :exclamation:

David

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:

Pete.

I think that only three posters on here have ever seen me ROF (Malmic, Punchy Dan and 1970 Commer) and you aint one of them! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:

Pete.

I think that only three posters on here have ever seen me ROF (Malmic, Punchy Dan and 1970 Commer) and you aint one of them! :wink:

Pete.

Don’t you exhibit stationary engines Pete?

David

There are times when I wander around gatherings “incognito”!

Retired Old ■■■■:

As long s you aren’t wearing That shirt .

5thwheel:

David

Yes I do, not in Portugal though! Returned home today from an event in Dumfries.

Pete.

windrush:

5thwheel:

David

Yes I do, not in Portugal though! Returned home today from an event in Dumfries.

Pete.

I’m sure I spoke with you at Astle in maybe 2008?

David

Blimey David, 20008! :open_mouth: I think I spoke to several folk there then, no bugger talks to me now though. :cry: :laughing: I honestly can’t remember if I was actually at Astle (you mean the 1000 engine rally as I don’t do the Steam Fair?) that year without looking through old programmes so I will have to believe you, I suppose that once you see an Adonis like me it would stick in your memory though… :wink: I’m not there this year however, doing Oswestry instead!

Pete.

rigsby:

Retired Old ■■■■:

As long s you aren’t wearing That shirt .

If I’m wearing THAT shirt, or any like it, I could hardly claim to be “incognito”. Especially if there’s a Scottish photographer about!

windrush:
Blimey David, 20008! :open_mouth: I think I spoke to several folk there then, no bugger talks to me now though. :cry: :laughing: I honestly can’t remember if I was actually at Astle (you mean the 1000 engine rally as I don’t do the Steam Fair?) that year without looking through old programmes so I will have to believe you, I suppose that once you see an Adonis like me it would stick in your memory though… :wink: I’m not there this year however, doing Oswestry instead!

Pete.

Right off thread,but I had a Crossley at the 1000,I now have another Crossley I found here in Portugal,full restoration.

I remember you,but not as Adonis more of a Telly tubby!!!lol,lol,lol.!

David

5thwheel:
Right off thread,but I had a Crossley at the 1000,I now have another Crossley I found here in Portugal,full restoration.

**I remember you,but not as Adonis more of a Telly tubby!!!**lol,lol,lol.!

David

Ah, that would have been my older brother then… :exclamation:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ^^

roolechat:

Bewick:

robert1952:

gazsa401:
Just found this on social media

:open_mouth: The holy grail! Robert

Oh No !! groan, groan! :cry: :cry: :open_mouth: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: !!

With a Wigtown County Council registeration !

DS was Peebles up to 1974 then Glasgow,so me book says…

Just found these on social media

Wow could this be the real thing!!! :smiley: I dont know how far out the Gardner 8 LXB WOULD STICK OUT BEHIND THE CAB but it looks like it is a Gardner 240!!!

Only thing i would say whilst the rear head has some rusting on it there seems to be evidence of some recent modification works i.e. copper pipes and water hoses seem newish and i don’t know if that is the true position of expansion tank. :open_mouth:

Anyway i’m certain that older and wiser members will be able to add to this…or HAVE WE AT LAST REACHED THE END OF THIS LONG DEBATE!!! :unamused:

OVER TO YOU GUY’S!

E.W.

Would have been handy to see what make vehicle it is! Franky.

Frankydobo:
Would have been handy to see what make vehicle it is! Franky.

• 1, Regards Larry,?