GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Any good? Exhaust and air intake looking good to me

5thwheel:

fodenway:
Could this be one of the mythical beasts?0

Regretfully the air intake system is very different to the 250 Percy I drove,IIRC it was the standard tube and mushroom up the rear wall of the cab,but nice try,probably a ■■■■■■■ engine intake,I have never seen or been made aware of a RR Eagle engine in any SoM units…….not yet anyway!

David

Hiya,
Blow the pic up and a blind’ man on a flying horse
will tell you the bit sticking out is part of the shed
and certainly not the arse end of the big Percy.

harry_gill:

5thwheel:

fodenway:
Could this be one of the mythical beasts?0

Regretfully the air intake system is very different to the 250 Percy I drove,IIRC it was the standard tube and mushroom up the rear wall of the cab,but nice try,probably a ■■■■■■■ engine intake,I have never seen or been made aware of a RR Eagle engine in any SoM units…….not yet anyway!

David

Hiya,
Blow the pic up and a blind’ man on a flying horse
will tell you the bit sticking out is part of the shed
and certainly not the arse end of the big Percy.

Your quite right as usual “H” :wink: as that unit could have a RR engine and it also has the old type of winker glass which puts it a well early model. And those tyres look like they could be nasty cross plys which further points to an very early Big J model ! Just my thoughts ! Anyway how you keeping “H” ? well I trust so can I wish you a very Happy Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2023 . Kind Regards Dennis.

I wonder why they placed a thistle plaque over the 240 badge :unamused:

Les Sylphides:

6x4, pretty unusual for you lot, isn’t it?

Star down under.:

Les Sylphides:

SoM had at least 2 6 x 4 units both with ■■■■■■■■ engines,principally used for shifting Caterpillar plant collected/delivered to Glasgow.

David

5thwheel:

Star down under.:

Les Sylphides:

SoM had at least 2 6 x 4 units both with ■■■■■■■■ engines,principally used for shifting Caterpillar plant collected/delivered to Glasgow.

David

I reckon that shot of the SOM Big J was shot prior to the launch of the 8LXB Cheers Dennis.

Here’s one an F reg, ■■■■■■■ engine and indeed loaded with a Caterpillar machine. Franky.

Geordielad:
Here’s one an F reg, ■■■■■■■ engine and indeed loaded with a Caterpillar machine. Franky.

That’s an older model than the one in the Show looking at the grilles so it was maybe the second one of the two David mentioned Cheers Dennis.

pete 359:
hi dennis
i like everyone else has come across big j’s with several different types of ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and gardner’s,but i personally have never seen one with the 8 cylinder 240! apart from the one parked outside elvis’s chipshop in grimsby! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards andrew

Well this must be correct if Andrew clocked it ! :wink: :laughing:

There’s a new challenge for you Dennis on the British Trucks downunder thread, never mind the run of the mill Big J 8LXB, an Invincible with a Detroit now that’s a challenge.

acd1202:
There’s a new challenge for you Dennis on the British Trucks downunder thread, never mind the run of the mill Big J 8LXB, an Invincible with a Detroit now that’s a challenge.

CF Will be pleased. :frowning:

Has anyone ever built one,sold one when new,repaired one,DRIVEN one,or at least seen one or possibly got a photo (side view) showing the 8 potter sticking out the rear of the cab .
Lets up date this thread to read " AEC 505" and we may get, at least, a more positive response from asking for shots of an 8LXB !! Cheers Bewick.

hi dennis
i like everyone else has come across big j’s with several different types of ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and gardner’s,but i personally have never seen one with the 8 cylinder 240! apart from the one parked outside elvis’s chipshop in grimsby! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards andrew

12 litres +, 8 cylinders,massive price difference,all for 240 horses.Why would anyone have bothered to spec it anyway?.Probably the same managers who asked Bedford to use the 7 Litre V6 Detroit in the TM to run at 32 tonnes and who would’nt buy the 8V92 version maybe and the ones who would’nt give me a job when I was a new driver in the 1980’s might have done.

pete 359:
hi dennis
regards andrew

You are a bundle of laughs Andrew !! I know that motor it’s the one Buddy Holly drives he subs for Joints dosn’t he if I remember correctly? Dennis . P. S. This is supposed to be a serious thread but I can see it degenerating into a shambles like the Smith of Maddiston one !!! Mind that snow drift !!!

Carryfast:
12 litres +, 8 cylinders,massive price difference,all for 240 horses.Why would anyone have bothered to spec it anyway?.Probably the same managers who asked Bedford to use the 7 Litre V6 Detroit in the TM to run at 32 tonnes and who would’nt buy the 8V92 version maybe and the ones who would’nt give me a job when I was a new driver in the 1980’s might have done.

If you looked like a sensible lad Carryfast I would have given you a start but not on a TK on Steroids !! You would have gone onto a Big J (180LXB ) which was enough of a motor for a lad !! Then once you had proved yourself an 8LXB was a definite possibility!! But don’t compare a Detroit clockwork orange with the creme de la creme Gardner 8LXB they are not in the same leauge !!! Cheers Bewick

Hi Dennis,
Is there not a Guy owners club,if so they would surely know the answer to this question.Apologies if this has already been suggested on the Smith of Maddiston thread.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Hi Dennis,
Is there not a Guy owners club,if so they would surely know the answer to this question.Apologies if this has already been suggested on the Smith of Maddiston thread.
Cheers Dave.

Yea Dave there might be a Club but with all hoo ha on the SOM site I thought there would have been a positive response from someone of that Ilk !!! maybe there is but they are just having a good laugh watching us old timers getting our longjohns in a twist !!! Cheers Dennis.