GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

We had one of the white and green Guys on demo with the 250 ■■■■■■■ in exactly the same cab that the 2 we had with the 220 ■■■■■■■■ Only difference was the gearbox.

ERF-NGC-European:

Geordielad:
I just read yesterday reference the change in Big J grilles, the reason for this wasn’t just to accommodate a larger radiator with a larger engine being fitted but a small oil cooler was fitted in front of the rad and that’s why the grille needed to protrude a little more. Also on 14lt ■■■■■■■ being fitted I have a GUY brochure page from 1975 that states the 4x2 Big J in the photo (a white cab with green bumper, wings and wheels, this was to point out that Leyland named the GUY range the ‘Greenline’ along with the other named ‘coloured’ ranges in the group) came with the NH 220 or NH 250, now that wouldn’t be said if they couldn’t fit the 250 into the chassis and we have to remember back in 1971 the eight wheel wagon and drag unit prototype they planned for Euro markets at 56 Ton Gross Combination had the ■■■■■■■ 350 fitted. At the same date GUY introduced the 265bhp Turbo Rolls Eagle engine 4x2 tractor with extended grille, so if they could fit that engine why not the ■■■■■■■ too or indeed the 240 Gardner! Franky.

+1

I’ll concede that the 14 litre ■■■■■■■ would probably have fitted but can’t find any documented examples of such anywhere.
But the Rolls obviously would have been similar overall to the 220.
But the 8 cylinder Gardner would have been a different kettle of fish and tall order assuming over 10 feet from fan to fuller output flange.
It would obviously have had to sit well forward of the front axle v the ■■■■■■■ or Rolls.

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Geordielad:
I just read yesterday reference the change in Big J grilles, the reason for this wasn’t just to accommodate a larger radiator with a larger engine being fitted but a small oil cooler was fitted in front of the rad and that’s why the grille needed to protrude a little more. Also on 14lt ■■■■■■■ being fitted I have a GUY brochure page from 1975 that states the 4x2 Big J in the photo (a white cab with green bumper, wings and wheels, this was to point out that Leyland named the GUY range the ‘Greenline’ along with the other named ‘coloured’ ranges in the group) came with the NH 220 or NH 250, now that wouldn’t be said if they couldn’t fit the 250 into the chassis and we have to remember back in 1971 the eight wheel wagon and drag unit prototype they planned for Euro markets at 56 Ton Gross Combination had the ■■■■■■■ 350 fitted. At the same date GUY introduced the 265bhp Turbo Rolls Eagle engine 4x2 tractor with extended grille, so if they could fit that engine why not the ■■■■■■■ too or indeed the 240 Gardner! Franky.

+1

I’ll concede that the 14 litre ■■■■■■■ would probably have fitted but can’t find any documented examples of such anywhere.
But the Rolls obviously would have been similar overall to the 220.
But the 8 cylinder Gardner would have been a different kettle of fish and tall order assuming over 10 feet from fan to fuller output flange.
It would obviously have had to sit well forward of the front axle v the ■■■■■■■ or Rolls.

Does this help?

guy bij 240 73.PNG

I know that this has been posted before but this a Gardner 8 LXB fitted into a Big J and the front looks no different really.

47937541411_6f6cba6082.jpg

Pete.

windrush:
I know that this has been posted before but this a Gardner 8 LXB fitted into a Big J and the front looks no different really.

Pete.

Firstly it seemed to be a non factory home built retro fit ?.
The cab mounting looks as if it might have been modified/extended and might not even be standard wheelbase.
Having said that, that example is probably as close as Bewick will get in answering his question.
It’s definitely a 4x2 BigJ unit with an 8LXB in it which shows that theoretically factory examples could have existed.
Also bearing in mind that my sceptical comrades including Bewick seem to have abandoned their posts.
Also there’s obviously no reason to think that lack of contemporary evidence like used ads proves anything.Other than the fact that the 250 + BigJs, whether Rolls or 14 litre ■■■■■■■ let alone 8 LXB, were all a rare beast in the day v the 220 ■■■■■■■ or 180 Gardner options.
Probably most sold or exported, or scrapped and their engines sold off through the grapevine without needing to be advertised.

windrush:

Pete.

Adjudication !! Void shot and irrelevant to the search for an authentic rear cab shot !! Plus that hybrid unit looks as if it hasn’t the correct axle so it may have had an AEC 505 engine fitted when it was built ! Cheers Bewick :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
PS and so the search continues ! :unamused: :frowning: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

Adjudication !! Void shot and irrelevant to the search for an authentic rear cab shot !! Plus that hybrid unit looks as if it hasn’t the correct axle so it may have had an AEC 505 engine fitted when it was built ! Cheers Bewick :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
PS and so the search continues ! :unamused: :frowning: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We know that it is a conversion Dennis, the pic has been discussed before, but I reposted it to show Carryfast that a 8LXB will fit and the chassis doesn’t appear to have been stretched.

Pete.

its not it is in a bus come museum come storage shed in St helens safe and dry from the tin worm tin worms love BIG js :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

windrush:

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

We know that it is a conversion Dennis, the pic has been discussed before, but I reposted it to show Carryfast that a 8LXB will fit and the chassis doesn’t appear to have been stretched.

Pete.

Aye Pete I know it’s been posted before and of course the 8LXB would have fitted into the 9’ 6" Guy chassis which is the same WB as both the ERF “A” Series and the Seddon 32/4 which were both fitted with the 8LXB engine ! Cheers Dennis.

A couple of ERF 8LXB’s standing in the depot late afternoon waiting for their night drivers for the run down to Daventry.

Bewick:
waiting for their night drivers for the run down to Daventry.

Was that a Daventry & back night trunk?

Bewick:

windrush:

Pete.

Have to say guvnor something looks a bit ‘off’ with all the space between the back of the cab, the battery box and spare wheel and that tread plate cover and still no sign of even the front of the rear mudguard and rear wheels and fifth wheel at that point.
To be fair to the believers it’s a close call.Id like to think it was in the factory inventory but a lot against it when there were obviously far cheaper and easier ways to get 250 + in a Big J.
But you’ve said yourself it was worth using the big Gardner in terms of running costs where possible.

dave docwra:

Bewick:
waiting for their night drivers for the run down to Daventry.

Was that a Daventry & back night trunk?

Yes Dave Daventry and back then it was either day shift to Lancs /Cheshire/ N. Wales or West ■■■■■■■ . Loaded 95% of the miles covered ! Cheers Dennis.

A reminder that Valkerie produced a list of the Guy Big-Js supplied with 8LXBs, supplied by the British Commercial Vehicles Museum:

Is she? He always had gardners n all his akkies had 240s in them!!!

Could this be one of the mythical beasts?

fodenway:
Could this be one of the mythical beasts?0

Looks like there’s something sticking out of the back, mind it could be ■■■■■■■■■

Where’s Dennis :question: we need this under analysis as a matter of urgency …could be the Xmas so many of us have waited over a decade for !!! :exclamation: :question: :laughing:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Where’s Dennis :question: we need this under analysis as a matter of urgency …could be the Xmas so many of us have waited over a decade for !!! :exclamation: :question: :laughing:

E.W.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

fodenway:
Could this be one of the mythical beasts?0

Regretfully the air intake system is very different to the 240 Percy I drove,IIRC it was the standard tube and mushroom up the rear wall of the cab,but nice try,probably a ■■■■■■■ engine intake,I have never seen or been made aware of a RR Eagle engine in any SoM units…….not yet anyway!

David