Greenwoods transport

Hi all,
Happy new year and all that.
Just a thread revival really to see if there are still any of us left who worked for Greenwoods in the good old days.
Found this photo on internet it’s one of the two Fodens used on the Scotch trunk pictured outside the Pegamoid rd depot Edmonton.

images-9.jpeg
Steve.

Hi s.mack,
If that’s an artic I have been in it a few times with my old man, I think they only had one.
Steve.

Hi, re Greenwoods southampton, my name is Dave Rowe I worked for them in the late 70,s for a few years on the Zanussi contract, seeing those pictures brought back happy memories, the driver in the bottom Daf 2800 in the shades is Bob Pester ( nice guy ) as were all the drivers I can remember there. As Buzzer would say a Mary Hopkins moment.

pollystag:
Hi s.mack,
If that’s an artic I have been in it a few times with my old man, I think they only had one.
Steve.

Hi Steve
I’m unsure if it was an artic or a rigid, I was too young to remember! The foden picture you posted outside the Edmonton depot would that have been one my dad or my uncle Billy drove? My dad delivered magazines from the Scottish Borders to Glasgow every week and my uncle Billy delivered Stirling to Aberdeen?

Stuart

Hi,
More than likely, both the Scottish trunk motors were Fodens with Leyland 680 engines.
Steve.

hi all,
anyone remember these? they where based in Pegamoid rd Edmonton but had depots in warrington and warboys, when i worked there in early 70’s,the main contract was delivering magazines all over the uk(tv times,womans own etc)all printed by Odhams press Watford.
I worked in the fitters shop there as a mate on day release once a week, my fitter was John Holland(we held the record for doing two mandator head gaskets in three hours)Steve Handley and Bernie Arnold were good mates there.after i left they were taken over by the Gold field group and moved out to Broxbourne think they went ■■■■ up late80’
cheers steve.

Prob wrong but were they white with black lettering had a lot of mercurys and mandators and i think crusaders changed to heron i think something to do with baileys westbury might be way off

yeh was nearly all aec’s when i was there,think they had daf’s after they were taken over by amey roadstone(gold fields). think you might be right about heron.

steve.

They also had depots/warehouses at Rownhams near Southampton and Hursley near Winchester.

The original company here that became Greenwoods was Victory Transport

And a pic courtesy of Bubbleman

I think they were bought out by Heron and the Rownhams site is now all houses

Regards Oat

They also ran rigid Dodge in the mid 70s.Pale green dropside bodies.

your right,they had loads of them as well as bedford tk’s.
my dad had one on a regular run down to cornwall with the print twice a week bringing slate powder back.
when they were building the new london bridge he brought a lot of granite facings up from the Hanter Gantic quarry St.Breward for it.
steve.

I was based at Avonmouth as a driver in the 70s it was still running Victory transport and Amey vehicles. then they all were painted
white with black lettering on, we had depots at Cheltenham and Exeter and had contracts with Nestle,Mars,Spillers and Johnsons. we ran
Bmc ,Foden,Leyland and ford then when Greenwoods took over all the units were Daf and the rigids were Bmc. I still keep in touch with
some of the drivers and still work with one of them

Drove for Greenwoods in the 60s on nights,the colour then was Brown with Black writing,the other part of the Company was called Home Counties mainly Dodge and Bedford Four Wheelers that delivered Magazines all over.

Ben.

ben walker:
Drove for Greenwoods in the 60s on nights,the colour then was Brown with Black writing,the other part of the Company was called Home Counties mainly Dodge and Bedford Four Wheelers that delivered Magazines all over.

Ben.

hi ben, do you remember Bill Poulton he started on home counties about 1968 on the magnet joinery contract at grays essex then onto the print.one of his mates was pete harris(his son steve is in the band iron maiden) also another pal was alan leale.

cheers steve.

Hi, Pollystag sorry dont know them was there about 63 for a short while on nights, getting on a bit now memory not so good.

Ben.

My old man drove for Greenwoods for 20 years,mainly on the print runs to the north and Scotland.Me and my 2 brothers got the diesel bug from a very early age.We all followed him into the industry.We used to go with him on school holidays.I still remember 3 of of us squeezed into a S80 Foden.ha ha.Last one to the truck got the seat,so we used to use any trick in the book to be the last one,much to my dad’s annoyance.He worked out of Hoddesdon but spent a lot of time at Warrington Depot as we lived nearby.He taught us to rope and sheet when we hit our teens,we loved it,many a saturday was spent handballing bundles od magazines onto trailers and then sheeting them.One of the best company’s he ever worked for.Once Heron took over,it was never the same and he left after a while.

Does any one have any photos?

madmonk695:
My old man drove for Greenwoods for 20 years,mainly on the print runs to the north and Scotland.Me and my 2 brothers got the diesel bug from a very early age.We all followed him into the industry.We used to go with him on school holidays.I still remember 3 of of us squeezed into a S80 Foden.ha ha.Last one to the truck got the seat,so we used to use any trick in the book to be the last one,much to my dad’s annoyance.He worked out of Hoddesdon but spent a lot of time at Warrington Depot as we lived nearby.He taught us to rope and sheet when we hit our teens,we loved it,many a saturday was spent handballing bundles od magazines onto trailers and then sheeting them.One of the best company’s he ever worked for.Once Heron took over,it was never the same and he left after a while.

Does any one have any photos?

Hullo madmonk695
I used to know one bloke on there, in the mid 70’s. He was from the depot at Hoddeston and delivered magazines to all destinations in between the Humber and the Tees. His name was Jim Furnell, a sort of plump bloke, a red face with bushy side whiskers, he spoke just like the laughing postman. Hay ya got a loight boy. :smiley:
Cheers, Archie.
p.s. NO it was’nt Hoddeston Depot it was WARBOYS :blush: :blush:

Not my old man Archie,he did go over to the east coast sometimes,my older brother remembers doing that run with him,they finished it and got home christmas eve.he had a DAF while his Foden was on service.My brother spent all Christmas talking about the air suspended seat,with arm rest and 2 bunks !
We loved the school holidays.

hi,
know what you mean my old man was there a bit before yours late 60’s to early 70’s but before i left school and started work in the fitters shop i was always out with him, like you i learned to rope and sheet and all that. i remember his first motor on the print was an aec mercury and the light switches were on the back of the cab!really awkward to work while driving so it was always my job to flash everyone in.i can even remember the reg number of his first mandator omt145e(sad innit) that unit ended up at warrington i think a black feller called bill drove it.
i left greenwoods about 1971 just as they were moving to hoddeston it would be good to here from any of the old fitters mates i worked with though.
cheers steve.