Green & Red livery

A smart fleet you ran Laurence ,i know you drove them for Smiles but did you ever run AECs?

Two of Brian Harris Trucks with different liveries at various times.
Ran regular from Devon to Scotland always Smart Trucks.

B Harris 1.jpg

Matlock Transport and Pheaseys of Ashford in the Water

Pete.

southlondoner:
I’ve often wondered where does the green and red livery of so many trucks originate from ? many companies years ago had green cabs and maybe a red chassis and wheels or grill, this colour scheme is still evident in modern fleets i.e Stobarts and another I can think of Fagan & Whaley, there is also a French Magnum I see regularly on the M20 with green and red cab panels but no signwriting, anyone got any nice green and red lorry pics.

Well IMO (will not be popular I know) from poor taste. :wink:

Dodgy Permit:

southlondoner:
I’ve often wondered where does the green and red livery of so many trucks originate from ? many companies years ago had green cabs and maybe a red chassis and wheels or grill, this colour scheme is still evident in modern fleets i.e Stobarts and another I can think of Fagan & Whaley, there is also a French Magnum I see regularly on the M20 with green and red cab panels but no signwriting, anyone got any nice green and red lorry pics.

Well IMO (will not be popular I know) from poor taste. :wink:

Wellmy old Grandad told me that the Red was so people could you coming & the Green blended in with the hedge & the grass verges, So was he right or was he wrong ?, Regards Larry.

ramone:
A smart fleet you ran Laurence ,i know you drove them for Smiles but did you ever run AECs?

Hi “ramone” I did drive a MK 5 AEC When I worked for Smiles, But I never owned a one when I ran my own wagons,Regards Larry.

Here is a nice livery from Kirkcaldy Scotland,
The sign writing must have cost a fair bit.
But Smart with it.

Always had a smart fleet. Les.

JLC00224-11[1].jpg

This guys a good watch and the wagons fit the profile

m.youtube.com/watch?v=HiKDs1DalG0

Red and Green are Complementary Colours, you can see what I mean if you look up an Artists Colour Wheel as below, colours are made up from Cool colours (Blues, Greens) and Warm colours (Reds, Yellows) on the wheel and the opposite of any colour on the wheel is its complementary colour. Signwriter’s and vehicle painters knew this as well as artists so it wouldn’t be unusual to see why the traditional colours of Red and Green were chosen as they simply looked better together and why colours such as Green and Blue both cool colours are not usually seen. Cheers Franky.

color-wheel-complementary.jpg

Does this count as well? I’m quite aware of the fact that it’s not an British firm, but it does match the criteria…?

Cheers, Patrick

417832_605111426167861_572016000_n.jpg

Another fleet still operating today and using the Red & Green.

Ernest Thorpe DAF.jpg

Great livery. Les.

CIVNqHsUwAAGWqj[1].jpg

O M G what a response thanks for the photo’s some great Green & Reds, just what I remember but where did it all start was it horse and carts ?

Some great red and green liveries on here. Do like the L.S.Dunbar Leylands. Used to think that the Pritchett Bros. outfits looked the business too.

The complementary colours wheel was interesting too. I Remember my dad saying ‘Red and green should never be seen!’

Maybe he was referring to fashion rather than lorries…

image.jpg
John.

Was this the start, 1929 Foden. Les.

1929-foden-steam-wagon-cider-tanker-sir-lionel-at-the-2015-norton-f5nht9[1].jpg