Does the truck livery make a difference

It sertainly does. Most of the successful British hauliers we have (Eddie Stobart, Jack Richards, Prestons of Potto, Pollock, Canute, WM Armstrong etc) have a bright, virbrant colour scheme.
Then look at smaller road hauliers liveries, the ones that are dule don’t get anywhere, but the ones that have the right colours get somewhere.
The best colours to use for a successful business are: Yellow, Red, Green, Gold & White.

Ok, there are some succesful hauliers who don’t use the colours I’ve listed (Maritime & Wincanton), but both these companies where formed as inhouse logistics operations of large businesses that wanted to save money on haulage and then found that they could make some money out of hauling goods around for other companies.

Ok, I also accept that some companies that use the colours I’ve listed have not been succussful and gone bust, but that was proberly down to bad management and the reluctance to change in an ever changeing haulage world.

The right colour, good management, easy to adapt to change business model and I belive you’ve got a a business that could be successful.
Kindest regards
CG

Mike-C:

little enis:
Are you proud to drive your truck because your governor put a little bit of money and passion into your truck and does it make you a better driver, or are you ashamed of your bland boring looking truck.Pics are not nessessarily required but your thoughts are.

It doesn’t bother me what anyone else does but i prefer a bog standard looking unit with no distinguishing marks/livery/logo. I learn’t a long time ago that its not always good to be readily identifiable .

This ^^^^^^

Plain white Scania or Daf (most common units) …could be anyone working for anyone…just the way I like it… :wink:

scottishcruiser:
Ignore this being a 620, its what id like a lorry to look like:-

It didn’t stop VOSA come a knocking though did it? even with the fancy graphics & famous son, they still got burned at the stake :stuck_out_tongue:

You wont beat a livery like Belkin or Sloggi. It works for me! :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

scottishcruiser:

It didn’t stop VOSA come a knocking though did it? even with the fancy graphics & famous son, they still got burned at the stake :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this quote relating to it shows how flawed OCRS is

The Traffic Commissioner for the Scotland, Michael Betts, accused Mr Coulthard of “arrogance” and “complacency”.

He said that a long established company with a famous name had been found to be heavily involved in illegal practices, putting at serious risk the road safety of its own drivers and of all road users.

Basically there was an assumption they were an straight operator so they got away with it for a long time. With OCRS provided you make ■■■■ sure your vehicles get a thorough pre-MOT you’ll remain fairly unmolested by VOSA, once people, even large well known operators, realise this they’ll take the ■■■■.

I would ban ALL personalised number plates from ANY vehicle which earns money. the cost paid for those “bigger prick than you” things should go to the driver, not put on a plate that only puts more money into Camerons, Indias, Pakistans, and the rest we are throwing money at. You can’t get a pay rise but you can get ■■■■ 1 put on your motor.

Thank ■■■■ you ain’t PM then!

I paid roughly £250 - £500 for my 3 plates.
Say £1000 over the last 10 years.

• vat, leaves you about £800.

£80 p/a payrise. Mmmm. Well done.

What next? No other colour paint than white?

Now I know that there have been many threads regards ODs and very exotic and expensive paint jobs but larger fleets also have a chance to shine (forgive the Pun) regards how a truck is presented.I have over the years seen some very fine examples of how a fleet operater can make not only his trucks stand out from the crowd but make the driver proud to drive a well presented Rig. Just a few examples would be Shirleys the tanker people,Hadleys and Stan Robinson. I am not entirely a fan of the new Wraps that are appearing but they do excude a little bit of imagination. Then we have the operaters who chuck a name and a phone number on a bog standard truck and put it to work. Now leaving the wages out of the debate (thats another issue) Are you proud to drive your truck because your governor put a little bit of money and passion into your truck and does it make you a better driver, or are you ashamed of your bland boring looking truck.Pics are not nessessarily required but your thoughts are.

I do prefer driving a truck with a nicer livery, yes.
Its not just an image thing on the road, but I’m sure some, if not all, of you have noticed that when pulling up to a customers in a nicely turned out vehicle they tend to treat you a little more like a respected professional (I’m talking smaller clients here, not RDCs)

Doesn’t matter what the truck is, or how old, just a nicely presented, well looked after truck with a decent paint job.
Makes you feel a bit better walking over to it at a MSA, rather than trudging off to some white hulk of rubbish in the corner, with rust running down the side.

Alex

this is a debate me and my great mate (bricktrotterxl) have spoken about just recently,we both currently sport white cabs with a modest amount of graphics on,advertising what we do and who we are etc (both independant od’s),he’s saying next purchase will have no sign-writing/graphics etc,just a nice metallic paint work and plenty light bars all over…i tend to think at least an e-mail address/phone number should be included…

A clean and well presented truck helps to keep the officials from taking too much of an interest.

ROG:
A clean and well presented truck helps to keep the officials from taking too much of an interest.

I agree with the above, there is nothing worse than a truck plastered with murals such as rock stars, naked ladies :open_mouth: , animals etc, it just looks cheap, nasty and childish. Certainly not professional looking or a good business image.

Tiger

ROG:

i totally agree rog…though i’m sure one or two may not… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Nice fresh paint (even on a older lorry if you polish itl shine. Nice stickers with lights etc, shiny tanks. Suppose you need the financial backing to have all these tasty mods, otehrs will just say a plain old white one does the same job as a fancy done up one…

Im not a show boat person and have been to many truck shows and see some of the lorries there with full leather inc the floors and there worked in and drivers say its a nightmare as everytime you in and out you need to remove shoes etc…

As for my current HGV, I dont want to go into it.

scottishcruiser:

Nice fresh paint (even on a older lorry if you polish itl shine. Nice stickers with lights etc, shiny tanks. Suppose you need the financial backing to have all these tasty mods, otehrs will just say a plain old white one does the same job as a fancy done up one…

Im not a show boat person and have been to many truck shows and see some of the lorries there with full leather inc the floors and there worked in and drivers say its a nightmare as everytime you in and out you need to remove shoes etc…

That is impressive.

scottishcruiser:

Im not a show boat person and have been to many truck shows and see some of the lorries there with full leather inc the floors and there worked in and drivers say its a nightmare as everytime you in and out you need to addremove shoes etc…add durabrites,take off the white v8 620 (free advertising for the most profitable truck manufacturer) and that’s spot on! :laughing:

Do you think the people from Tesco sit in the office forgetting the price but saying “oh I wonder if its a nice lorry” NO I dont think they do they look at the £££ numbers the lorry doesnt matter a ■■■■ to the people who use its services.

Ive never understood why people waste so much money making lorries look good and then moaning about the price of fuel.

Hey Jammy I think its more of a personal feeling than what others really think, though obviously if you spend a bit of cash on your lorry you’d want otehrs to appreciate it.

I’m sure it really does make a difference, maybe just getting the truck noticed, means that somebody remembers you.
Companies spend millions on their logo’s and corporate image and they would bother if a white packet with a bit of black writting was all that was needed to make a customer notice it.

I think having a livery gives a vehicles some identity. Its like personalised number plates, they dont make a vehicle go faster or take more stuff but they make it different from the crowd. All our vehicles have personalised number plates and when they are lined up it looks good.
Also i think a nice looking truck helps when attracting new drivers, well it has for our company.