Gloucestershire Firms

Hiya ,a picture to go with Saviems last post,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hiya ,a picture to go with Saviems last post,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Bubbs…you are a winner!!! Never knew they had a Saviem on that job, I think that the “trunk” was Bristol to Gargrave, tip, reload, back to Bristol! Not a lot of time for r&r!! Mind you, those Saviem 36.280s could motor, and it was a warmer cab than Mr Berliets!!

Thanks, Cheerio for now.

And certainly warmer than the Foden?

What about Huntsmans’ Quarries from Naunton? Multi Agg from Kempsford (aka Carry On Quarrying), Kingston Minerals from Lechlade/Welford. Mustoes’ of Northleech, Smiths of Gloucester…Keyways…Elliotts of Cheltenham…Roger Constants of Ashton Keynes…T Barry (saw an add the other day wanting a driver)…Valley Trading…Hacklings (who strangely, run an E reg 6w Volvo FL7 tipper amongst their curtainsiders)…Joseph Rice…Maguires of Cheltenham…MLC Logistics…Shipton Mill…

Witney based coal merchant, James Marriott used to operate out of Fairford goods yard until the line closed in 1962. Pooles’ ran the gravel pit as you enter Lechlade from the Burford direction in an agreement with Ameys.

Muckaway:
What about Huntsmans’ Quarries from Naunton? Multi Agg from Kempsford (aka Carry On Quarrying), Kingston Minerals from Lechlade/Welford. Mustoes’ of Northleech, Smiths of Gloucester…Keyways…Elliotts of Cheltenham…Roger Constants of Ashton Keynes…T Barry (saw an add the other day wanting a driver)…Valley Trading…Hacklings (who strangely, run an E reg 6w Volvo FL7 tipper amongst their curtainsiders)…Joseph Rice…Maguires of Cheltenham…MLC Logistics…Shipton Mill…

what about ,T & G Bircher,Peter Gilder ,M S Ellis , Capaldi , John Bennett, N E Hughes ,Geoff Hughes, John hatherhill, roger Carter, sold shipton mill the only Volvo FS6 tractor unit sod by westward commerciails,steve.

Saviem:
W

Which of Dons daughters did you go to school with, Dianne? Nice girl if I remember. Thanks for the memory stimulation.

Cheerio for now.

Yes it was Dianne, but only up to 11.

The original Parton Road site is all built over now, including the new big house and grounds although the chip shop still survives

Yers a couple more, you don’t realize how many firms and outfits there have been…

CNV00093.JPG

cattle wagon man:
Hi kingswinford kit,
Heres David Gouldings E.R.F. 6 wheeler , photographed at ( I think :unamused: )
Ross - on - Wye Auction Mart .

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Hi ,cattle wagon man and Piston Broke thank you both fof sharing those photos ,i regularly see the ERF 6 wheeler around Ross on Wye especially on Mondays hauling cattle to Ensors abbatior at Cinderford .
Piston Broke good to see those B series ERFs i can remember them during the blackcurrant season hauling to Beechams at Coleford once again both thanks Keith

Retired Old ■■■■:

kingswinford kit:
Has anybody got old photos of Gouldings from Newent very tidy fleet . regards kk

You’re talking about the firm that both I & my father drove for in the distant past. So long ago that there was only one ERF in the fleet when I left for pastures new. The rest of the fleet were Bedfords and Albions at that time.
As posted, David Goulding, grandson of the company’s founder, is still trundling around in a lone six-wheeler ERF. Seems a very long time since he and I attended the local school, riding around with the drivers on Saturdays and school holidays.
There are some photos and links to a couple of videos on one of the threads. Post again, or PM me if you want further info on the firm.

Hi Retired Old ■■■■ , didnt Gouldings have a 6 wheeler Bedford TK on stock work ? regards kk

Hello, matey. No six-wheeler TKs of any sort as I recall. The first six’s with livestock containers were ERFs. There were six-wheelers on the firm in the past but they were all flat beds on general haulage. I reckon the first would have been a Perkins R6 engine Bedford S-type, followed not long after by a second-hand (most unusual for Gouldings) Guy Invincible. Around 1962 came an Albion Reiver which was, as a newly-qualified HGV driver (I’d reached the age of 21!) my favourite vehicle on the fleet. I’ve put a little bit about the blackcurrant/Beechams job on other threads.
Are Ensors still in business? For a while, during a period when Oxford magistrates decided that I should do without my licence for twelve months, I worked on a farm run by Bob Ensor’s son-in-law rearing beef for the slaughterhouse. One of my former accomplices at Young George Read’s drove Ensor’s ERF reefer at the time.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Hello, matey. No six-wheeler TKs of any sort as I recall. The first six’s with livestock containers were ERFs. There were six-wheelers on the firm in the past but they were all flat beds on general haulage. I reckon the first would have been a Perkins R6 engine Bedford S-type, followed not long after by a second-hand (most unusual for Gouldings) Guy Invincible. Around 1962 came an Albion Reiver which was, as a newly-qualified HGV driver (I’d reached the age of 21!) my favourite vehicle on the fleet. I’ve put a little bit about the blackcurrant/Beechams job on other threads.
Are Ensors still in business? For a while, during a period when Oxford magistrates decided that I should do without my licence for twelve months, I worked on a farm run by Bob Ensor’s son-in-law rearing beef for the slaughterhouse. One of my former accomplices at Young George Read’s drove Ensor’s ERF reefer at the time.

Yes Ensors are still going but the abattoir in valley road is being demolished to make way for more housing I believe. They’ve got a new building on the Forest Vale industrial estate, just up the road. I remember the odd truck spilling their loads of blackcurrants turning into Beechams when they used to run through the town before the so-called bypass was built. I think Oakley’s from Hereford used to deliver there amid the chaos of the fruit season…

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hi , Retired Old ■■■■ You sir are a mine of information i never knew that Gouldings had a Guy Invincible very unusual for these parts !!
Yes i can remember the Albion Reiver on stock work and indeed Ensors are very much in business having recently moved from their former premises to a 6 million pounds plant still in Cinderford next to Richard Read storage and distribution depot , their old premises is being demolished as i type this for housing . I will look out for your bit about Beechams sounds very interesting , whose future is to be decided in this coming September . many thanks again regards Keith

kingswinford kit:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hi , Retired Old ■■■■ You sir are a mine of information i never knew that Gouldings had a Guy Invincible very unusual for these parts !!
Yes i can remember the Albion Reiver on stock work and indeed Ensors are very much in business having recently moved from their former premises to a 6 million pounds plant still in Cinderford next to Richard Read storage and distribution depot , their old premises is being demolished as i type this for housing . I will look out for your bit about Beechams sounds very interesting , whose future is to be decided in this coming September . many thanks again regards Keith

I believe I an correct in thinking that you will have seen an Albion CLYDESDALE on livestock work, driven by John Blewitt. The Riever was permanently on general haulage, piloted in it’s latter years by Don Smith, whose catchphrase was “Gissa light, mate” with reference to the ever-present roll-up in his mouth! John Blewitt went on to drive the only wagon
& drag combination, an A-series ERF two-axle with matching two-axle trailer, both fitted with very smart Thorne’s livestock bodies.
John’s brother, Vic, drove an Albion Chieftain, again with a platform body on gen. haulage, having graduated from one of the TKs and before that an S-type Bedford.
If memory serves, the old Invincible was powered (if that’s the right word!) by a 6LW Gardner.

Not forgetting benny hill freight John wheeler James and Stuart young

Yers a couple more…

Swifts, Glos.JPG

W Jackson 2, Glos.JPG

Not many smarter Clydesdale artics than Jacksons, old ■■■■. Looks like the photo was taken in their yard on the Bristol Road when the vehicle was new. Given that this would have been in 1967 the quality of the photo is outstanding. No digital cameras then :laughing:

No one has mentioned him yet so I suppose I better had :wink:

The kink in the bed is due to the hand held scanner, not the truck

6x160.jpg

e16.jpg

2570 EV0.jpg

I well remember Eric in that Seddon when Gloucester cattle market was where today’s bus station is.
Along with such names as H. Alan Jones from Hanley Swan, Northover Bros from Pilning, Bob Cooper and Roy Morgan.
Can anyone remind me who ran the petrol Bedford before Timms Bros (later James Timms) bought him out?