Gloucestershire Firms

Great photos keep them coming any of santa fe .?

A few from the Longhope outfit.

Somebody mentioned Peter Ford.

Peter Ford, Glos.JPG

Here’s a few more…

Indalex, Cheltenham.JPG
Santa Fe 2, Cheltenham.JPG
N J Webb, Stroud.JPG

Yers another. These were good…
CNV00121.JPG

One could be tempted to comment that someone may be dropping the trailer prior to embarking on a “dodgy” :wink:

Webbs from Stroud ran some tidy kit years ago,anyone know if they are still going ?

Hi all,
Cool pictures Paul :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .when free foresters finished joint motorways bought a large number of their tandem coilers.
Regards andrew.

altitude:
Webbs from Stroud ran some tidy kit years ago,anyone know if they are still going ?

No They closed 10 -15 years ago (or maybe more) their old yard is now used by the bus company. They were main haulier for Redlers of Stroud, Mechanical Handling Engineers. Nort Webb, a proper gentleman; as you said nice kit and decent drivers.

zzarbean:

altitude:

No They closed 10 -15 years ago (or maybe more) their old yard is now used by the bus company. They were main haulier for Redlers of Stroud, Mechanical Handling Engineers. Nort Webb, a proper gentleman; as you said nice kit and decent drivers.

Always the good old firms that seem to pack up, I remember Webbs well as I lived in Cirencester for years.

Has anybody got old photos of Gouldings from Newent very tidy fleet . regards kk

kingswinford kit:
Has anybody got old photos of Gouldings from Newent very tidy fleet . regards kk

Hi kk :smiley:

Yeah, I’ve got a few… I’ll put them on later or tomorrow. As you say, really tidy motors…

Piston broke:

kingswinford kit:

Hi kk :smiley:

Yeah, I’ve got a few… I’ll put them on later or tomorrow. As you say, really tidy motors…

Hi Piston brokewill look forward to seeing them .thanks Keith

Hi kingswinford kit,
Heres David Gouldings E.R.F. 6 wheeler , photographed at ( I think :unamused: )
Ross - on - Wye Auction Mart .

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Nice pic CWM :smiley: Are Gouldings still going, do you know? I understood that they closed the doors some years ago - I heard rumours of family squabbles but it was never substantiated…

Here’s mine. Taken around '91 or '92 by me :smiley:

The C-series on the right had just been bought from Warners of Tewkesbury - another long gone firm… :confused:

My favourite -a really handsome and purposeful looking lorry…

Hi Piston broke,
David Goulding has just the one E.R.F. 6 wheeler on his own nowadays ,
and I saw him last summer at a couple of Auction Markets.

Gordon Gilder is the owner of an impressive fleet of high-powered Scanias.
This one is shown here as it awaits loading lambs at Kirkby Stephen Auction
in September last year.

Great photo’s of Gouldings & Gilders. Does anyone remember Vicks?

CNV00147.JPG
What about Allwoods from Cheltenham?

CNV00099.JPG

Over a relatively-short period ( about 3 - 4 weeks ) in September every year,
the Gimmer Lamb Sales take place around the north of England auction markets.
The majority of these lambs are bought by farmers in the lower part of England.
Gordon Gilder`s fleet of 4 deckers are familiar sight at these Sales.

Hawes Auction , in North Yorkshire, is one of the main North of England markets where over 30,0000 lambs
pass through one sale ring for sale in a special two-day event.

It`s not just the buyer who has to make sure of the correct lambs and numbers , …the haulier
also has a responsibility to make sure he loads and transports the correct consignment ,- when nearly all
of the lambs look alike ! :confused: :laughing:

A line-up of all 3 wagons of Wm. Parry & Sons , St. Briavels.

On the left , is Robin Harriss DAF CF, affectionally named "Daph" , after his wife. :slight_smile: The Volvo FM Tautliner in the centre , is piloted by Simon Parry . Michael Parry s steed is the DAF 75 CF.

This photograph was taken in June 2011, and since then , changes have taken place within the family business.
Robin retired from driving in the Spring of 2012 , closely followed by his boss , Michael.
The 2 DAFs were then subsequently sold to two owner-drivers, and the Volvo was retained
to continue with livestock feedstuffs and fertilizer work.

kingswinford kit:

You’re talking about the firm that both I & my father drove for in the distant past. So long ago that there was only one ERF in the fleet when I left for pastures new. The rest of the fleet were Bedfords and Albions at that time.
As posted, David Goulding, grandson of the company’s founder, is still trundling around in a lone six-wheeler ERF. Seems a very long time since he and I attended the local school, riding around with the drivers on Saturdays and school holidays.
There are some photos and links to a couple of videos on one of the threads. Post again, or PM me if you want further info on the firm.

What about Allwoods from Cheltenham?
[/quote]
Afternoon Gentlemen, mepaul 101, interesting posts and photographs, thank you.

What can one say about Don Griffiths, and his operations! Foundry sand wrapped up like a steam pudding on a flat bed, well that is only one aspect of the operations! How about two Leopard tanks on a 16wheeled trailer, (fabricated by the late Wally Woodhall of Exeter, a real heavy haulage builder), behind one of his ■■■■■■■ 6x4 Fodens, (like your image)…and up from Castlemartin,…certainly made the Hallet Silbermen men sit up and take notice!!

Allwood was run for Griffiths by David Usher from Tewkesbury, a really nice fellow, but a man who could achieve a lot, with little. He formed a barrier between Griffiths, (who could be quite unpleasant at times), and the drivers. He really was a good traditional “transport man”. The company finances were looked after by a dignified Asian chap, whose office was in the old bungalow at the end of the yard by the Golden Valley bypass. Surrounded by "dead " concrete mixer, and tipper chassis. He had been the top man for Mitchell Cotts in Uganda, pre Idi Amin, so really was a high flier.

I got to know Don Griffiths, and David when they began to do business with one of my clients, Jean L`Harridon, Cap du Finisterre, and Jean sourced them a Saviem 280TU tractor, which they then registered in the Isle of Man, as Douglas Freight Services, reg 280 MAN. Boy did that cause some ripples!!! I think that they also ran some Berliet TR280s, as Allwood Transport Bristol, doing work for J&J, with 40ft single axle boxes, was it John Yendle who ran that for them?

I think that they had a Renault Trucks UK service agency, from the Golden Valley site, but their equipment always looked well worn to say the least. Not the least some of their trombone trailers. The Dow Mac work they did with Ray Gillard from Somerset, quite a contrast, his smart Volvos, well lit at night, then an Allwood Foden S36/39 6x4, with the odd red light on a 70ft beam and dolly set up!!!

I often think about their set up when I fly to the Isle of Man, as I always go from Churchdown,on Manx 2, so pass both the Golden Valley site, which looks quite derelict, apart from Chris`s Scania operation, and I presume that the Churchdown site is now built over?

Which of Dons daughters did you go to school with, Dianne? Nice girl if I remember. Thanks for the memory stimulation.

Cheerio for now.