GL Baker

We have a ex GL Baker ERF E10-290 that we’re restoring back to there colours.

BFALL:

pollystag:
hi,
gl bakers had a big fleet in the 60’s& 70’s mainly working in and out of thames board mills in west thurrock then onto containers like all the others.my uncle, john poulton was there in the sixties and his mate dave cheeseright was there a little longer i also remember patsy keogh who was a good mate at the time(mid 80’s) no photo’s though.

hi i worked bakers has fitter for 14 years,started at stratford in 64 from school , patsy has his own trans company doing ok see him often, had some good times at GL BAKERS :

Hi mate just seen this, mention me (steve poulton) to patsy hope he remembers me.
cheers steve.

240 Gardner:

hilltop4:
There’s a theme developed there mate…all pre RDC days, where designers scratched out their plans on the back of a ■■■ packet :wink: (nowadays, and some people would argue about the ethics on this one) RDCs, and out of town stores situated at retail parks have far more land to play with…theres a site just off the M18 at Doncaster with nearly 30 docks!!!..

Here’s Oxford - only a narrow little city centre street, but it’s inside that the fun actually starts!

And Chichester…

[/quot been to worse :smiley:

bradfordlad9999:

240 Gardner:

hilltop4:
There’s a theme developed there mate…all pre RDC days, where designers scratched out their plans on the back of a ■■■ packet :wink: (nowadays, and some people would argue about the ethics on this one) RDCs, and out of town stores situated at retail parks have far more land to play with…theres a site just off the M18 at Doncaster with nearly 30 docks!!!..

Here’s Oxford - only a narrow little city centre street, but it’s inside that the fun actually starts!

And Chichester…

[/quot been to worse :smiley:

Believe or not,those qauint little olde worlde places,were not designed for juggernaughts.

The M&S at Newport was a right bear to get into, even worse with a small 33’ trailer as the small’un’s had the axle right back, it was the wall. used to slope away but the windows in the wall had large metal grids on them that tried to chew the mirrors off ha ha Lol.
BOC Transhield @ patchway depot. The run was Newport the over to Memory lane cakes in Cardiff, then up to the Gobermeister known as Thatcham the ■■■■■■■■■■

Great days, lots of laughs, a few GL bakers drivers came over(Sooty) to transhield when the depot @ Warmley closed & they all moved in to Patchway depot.

I cannot remember the year, but I drove for G L Baker out of a small yard in Stratford east London ( I believe it was channelsy Road ) but it was at the entrance of Stratford Fruit Market. The transport manager at the time was Ronny Mugelton, and from memory most of the trucks were Guy Big Js. At that time a big part of our work was from Thames board mills at Purfleet paper products out and pick up massive bales of waste paper back. we also used to do trailer drops at the yard in Warrington ( I think ). Those Guys big Js were the worst thing I think I have ever had to drive Noisy, as hot as an oven in the summer. With steering and clutch that turned you into Jeff Capes, ( The thigh on my left leg was twice the size as the right ). But hayho it was a job and it was filled by a bunch of character’s. In fact many of the drivers I worked with there ended up round the corner at General Express Services. I cannot remember how long the yard lasted there before it closed down but I am sure that it was taken over by BOC in Kent…

There was about four drivers for G L Baker stayed in Riggside just off the A74 that would be in the 70s sometime. Eddie.

We moved from channel sea road about 1974 over to silver town,we were eventually taken over by BOC
Because the M.S contract Bakers had used so much polar stream gas that BOC could see the profit from that contract.also we used to stay at Mrs Trains on the 74 just 200 hundred yards South of The Crawford Hotel.

mas430:
The M&S at Newport was a right bear to get into, even worse with a small 33’ trailer as the small’un’s had the axle right back, it was the wall. used to slope away but the windows in the wall had large metal grids on them that tried to chew the mirrors off ha ha Lol.
BOC Transhield @ patchway depot. The run was Newport the over to Memory lane cakes in Cardiff, then up to the Gobermeister known as Thatcham the [zb]…

Great days, lots of laughs, a few GL bakers drivers came over(Sooty) to transhield when the depot @ Warmley closed & they all moved in to Patchway depot.

Gomms Transport used to run the Cakes from Cardiff to Faversham for M&S deliveries by G L Bakers (Later BOC)

I worked for GLB for several years worked there 3 times actually at the Latchford Warrington depot Harry Packer was the manager. Remember Ronnie muggleton very well also remember Bristol manager just can’t think of his name. Worked for a lot of places were I earned a lot more money, but never a better job or better colleagues. Worked there from 69 till about 80 on ad off

Foor a while I had the Leyland beaver with the ergomatic cab and pneumocyclic gear box what a animal that was need he strength of a gorilla to turn the wheel . what energyyou saved from not having a clutch was certainly offset by the steering.

lcb:
Having worked at G.L.Baker for a few years during the seventies it was a good job,many of the drivers were a gOod bunch and I wonder if many are still about ,the depot that we worked from was channel sea road then just off the silver town way.the drivers that it would be good to hear from are J.Abbott A.Abbott J.Powers B.Hughes .
My name is Len Berry anyone else who remembers me please get in touch it would be nice to catch up.

I was at warrington depot remember JIMMY POWERS JOEY ABBOTT AND HIS BROTHER last saw Bobby Hughes in café on A1 forgot what café was called (age) I seem to remember you as well Lennie did you not do Scratchewood changeover a few times with me John Rudd?

john7420:

lcb:
Having worked at G.L.Baker for a few years during the seventies it was a good job,many of the drivers were a gOod bunch and I wonder if many are still about ,the depot that we worked from was channel sea road then just off the silver town way.the drivers that it would be good to hear from are J.Abbott A.Abbott J.Powers B.Hughes .
My name is Len Berry anyone else who remembers me please get in touch it would be nice to catch up.

I was at warrington depot remember JIMMY POWERS JOEY ABBOTT AND HIS BROTHER last saw Bobby Hughes in café on A1 forgot what café was called (age) I seem to remember you as well Lennie did you not do Scratchewood changeover a few times with me John Rudd?

Hi your name does ring a bell ,but thinking about it ,it was Lennie Lucking that used to do the change over now and the when the regular guy was off. Good when he was on always on time the other bugger was early if he was only an hour late! Supposed to meet me 1st at 2200 Jimmy Ryan at 0059 Then Roberts AKA taillights AT 0200 last one was often there before he arrived for mine. Was happier when we moved to Silvertown and came there then picked up at depot.Then more stuff at Raines in Enfield Not bad when first trunk I did was change over at Loncoln Farm café got 14 hours night rate for it then it went to Blue boar then BLue Boar Watford gap. then toddington then scratchwood.

Hi john,
did you start at silvertown then move to warrington in the 80’s
steve, ex geo.davies.

pollystag:
Hi john,
did you start at silvertown then move to warrington in the 80’s
steve, ex geo.davies.

No mate started at Warrington in 68 worked there about 4 times always went for more money better job but never enjoyed it like GLB so used to go back!

erfguy:
There was about four drivers for G L Baker stayed in Riggside just off the A74 that would be in the 70s sometime. Eddie.

the main ones that stayed there were Ken Morley Derick Coulter Lol Elliot, Ronnie Cunliffe, Myself .

john7420:

erfguy:

the main ones that stayed there were Ken Morley Derick Coulter Lol Elliot, Ronnie Cunliffe, Myself .

john7420:

erfguy:

• Tommy Pennnigton

Anyone remember this GL Baker left-hand drive ERF NGC European? I wonder if it worked out of the Faversham depot at Oare in the 1970s. I’d be grateful for any memories or even pics. The fleet number is 792, which might ring a bell with somebody. The registration number was MMG 772P. An older thread hints that Faversham may have had two of these!

Cheers,

Robert

newerfglbaker%20ifor.jpg

Gents

I remember Ted Bryant the Driving instructor very well, he taught me to drive as a favour to my old man who was at Raines in Enfield, His name was Kenny Richards. His old pal Alan Day was a driver at Silvertown and i remember putting L Plates on his Marathon and going out for the day with Alan for some driving experience before my test, Alan and Ted were great guys in every sense of the word.

Bumped up for anyone following the new G L Baker thread. Robert :wink: