Getting closer to minimum wage

This is getting a little tiresome.

We get one of these threads at least once a week hyperbolizing an employer wanting to pay peanuts for a skilled job.
I’m only 26 but even my small brain can probably deduce that this has probably been going on since well before I was born.
When I was looking for a warehouse job as my first job someone tried to get me on as an apprentice for like £2.60 an hour and that worked out to be about less then £8000 a year, I obviously told him to stick it. I have no doubt there are firms that try this with every profession because they know some people will bite.

Also to all those old folks complaining that you all used to get paid a lot more back in the 80s/70s/60s/50s/40s?? It makes sense you had a heck of a lot more responsibility the job was a lot harder and people didn’t want to do it. Heck if the trucks were still manual with no power steering and you had to change wheels by yourself I doubt most of you would still be doing it now.

So basically my point is… Big deal…

That’s my view on the subject anyway…
Sorry for the rant I just hate these now I might just make up an add on indeed website for minimum wage 70hr a week tramper with no night out money just to see everyone lose their minds over it.

PS.
Doubt forget there are students coming out of university with £40k+ debt and no job prospects other then minimum wage crap so as ‘skilled’ workers we defiantly have it better then some.

adam277:

We get one of these threads at least once a week hyperbolizing an employer wanting to pay peanuts for a skilled job.
I’m only 26 but even my small brain can probably deduce that this has probably been going on since well before I was born.
When I was looking for a warehouse job as my first job someone tried to get me on as an apprentice for like £2.60 an hour and that worked out to be about less then £8000 a year, I obviously told him to stick it. I have no doubt there are firms that try this with every profession because they know some people will bite.

Also to all those old folks complaining that you all used to get paid a lot more back in the 80s/70s/60s/50s/40s?? It makes sense you had a heck of a lot more responsibility the job was a lot harder and people didn’t want to do it. Heck if the trucks were still manual with no power steering and you had to change wheels by yourself I doubt most of you would still be doing it now.

Sorry for the rant I just hate these now I might just make up an add on indeed website for minimum wage 70hr a week tramper with no night out money just to see everyone lose their minds over it.

PS.
Doubt forget there are students coming out of university with £40k+ debt and no job prospects other then minimum wage crap so as ‘skilled’ workers we defiantly have it better then some.

If you are coming out of university and your prospect is a minimum wage job then I suggest you didn’t do enough research into what degrees are needed or perhaps you shouldn’t have gone in the first place, the idea that 50% of the population need a degree was a complete Ponzi scheme of an idea and to anyone with a degree in media studies or any other soft degree you have just wasted 3 years of your life, the country is crying out for people with degrees in the sciences, engineering and languages yet universities are still churning out graduates with no hope of getting a job in their qualified field

adam277:

PS.

The problem for you drivers, its not a skilled job. Driving from A2B, unload, get paperwork signed and that is the basic’s … some are on a good number some work the rear off to earn a wage … Driving a truck is not a skill, anyone can drive, like anyone can train to be a brain surgeon with the relevant intellectual standards.

There will never be a unity amongst drivers because you suffer from shareholders, who dont care about you. as much as you guys slate bus drivers.

1, they get a licence paid for them provided they stay employed for a year.
2, know the hours.
3, get paid more.

I am sure, some of the drivers who moan on here, dont have the relevant skills to get out of the industry, however, I am sure loads love the job … as said there must be excellent numbers out there.

Mazzer2:

adam277:

PS.

If you are coming out of university and your prospect is a minimum wage job then I suggest you didn’t do enough research into what degrees are needed or perhaps you shouldn’t have gone in the first place, the idea that 50% of the population need a degree was a complete Ponzi scheme of an idea and to anyone with a degree in media studies or any other soft degree you have just wasted 3 years of your life, the country is crying out for people with degrees in the sciences, engineering and languages yet universities are still churning out graduates with no hope of getting a job in their qualified field

I’ve been saying that for a while, return on investment for a HGV license is pretty good. Plenty of grads earning average wage, 26-7 k having done a fairly useless degree. I don’t hold with the its life e,perience stuff, being an 18 year old female forkie was plenty life experience :open_mouth: :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
“It’s only round the corner”…“I’m retiring soon anyway”…“It’s better than the dole”…“I get left alone”… Spineless and weak people mainly who are terrified of not being able to pay for the 2 year old car on HP and the new sofa from DFS etc :unamused:

^^^^
This
Drivers need to boycott this type of pay, as long as theres applicants for crap work the money will never improve.
In spain unemployment is a fair bit higher than the UK but employed drivers at our place are still on 14eur p/h basic. Needless to say very few vacancies arise.
Greed is a major factor with some employers…

albion:

Mazzer2:

adam277:

PS.

I’ve been saying that for a while, return on investment for a HGV license is pretty good. Plenty of grads earning average wage, 26-7 k having done a fairly useless degree. I don’t hold with the its life e,perience stuff, being an 18 year old female forkie was plenty life experience :open_mouth: :laughing:

To be fair to the current graduates they have grown up in a time where right from starting school it is all about going to uni and getting a degree. In some respects its hard to blame them but I agree about the 50% target being a joke. I left school in 99 and teachers were starting to push it a bit then.

I have posted before that I used to work in a supermarket and interviewed numerous graduates or those who had dropped out saying they wish they hadn’t bothered but had felt pushed into it.

I agree with albion that the roughly £3k my licence cost me has been a good return. I earn over £30k for little effort although can be long hours, so was my previous job, as are many others.

The supermarket job paying more an hour but only 40 hours if your lucky gives roughly £18k ish at year end. If you have mrs and kids at home with mortgage/rent to pay I think most will do the 60 hours for £30k

to be honest I never look at wage , I just look for days / nights , how many hours , I guess every ones priorities are different

Rob K:

Mickey mouse:
The race to the bottom is well underway here fellas. Works out at £8.55 per hour. Don’t all apply at once. I despair. I was earning this twenty years ago.

You were on £8.55 per hour 20 years ago for class 2? You were either one of a few very lucky drivers or you’re talking rubbish. 20 years here in Leeds area class 2 PAYE was paying around £5 to £5.50 per hour with agency class 2 typically £6 per hour + time 1.5 after 8 hours. Class 1 PAYE work was only about £6.50 to £7 per hour too.

No I’m not talking rubbish. I passed my class two in 1999 and then class one in 2000. I was on agency paying £9.50 per hour class one in 2001 and the class two rate was £8.60 per hour. You must have been at a poor company if that’s all you were earning pal.

Mickey mouse:

Rob K:

Mickey mouse:
The race to the bottom is well underway here fellas. Works out at £8.55 per hour. Don’t all apply at once. I despair. I was earning this twenty years ago.

You were on £8.55 per hour 20 years ago for class 2? You were either one of a few very lucky drivers or you’re talking rubbish. 20 years here in Leeds area class 2 PAYE was paying around £5 to £5.50 per hour with agency class 2 typically £6 per hour + time 1.5 after 8 hours. Class 1 PAYE work was only about £6.50 to £7 per hour too.

No I’m not talking rubbish. I passed my class two in 1999 and then class one in 2000. I was on agency paying £9.50 per hour class one in 2001 and the class two rate was £8.60 per hour. You must have been at a poor company if that’s all you were earning pal.

OK chap… So it transpires that this £8.55 per hour you claim to have been earning 20 years ago was in a different sector as you didn’t even have a lorry licence at the time. I get it now.

My point still stands however. Outside of the London/Northampton/Crick areas, virtually no lorry driver was on those rates 20 years ago and certainly not north of the Midlands.

kcrussell25:
To be fair to the current graduates they have grown up in a time where right from starting school it is all about going to uni and getting a degree. In some respects its hard to blame them but I agree about the 50% target being a joke. I left school in 99 and teachers were starting to push it a bit then.

I have posted before that I used to work in a supermarket and interviewed numerous graduates or those who had dropped out saying they wish they hadn’t bothered but had felt pushed into it.

I agree with albion that the roughly £3k my licence cost me has been a good return. I earn over £30k for little effort although can be long hours, so was my previous job, as are many others.

The supermarket job paying more an hour but only 40 hours if your lucky gives roughly £18k ish at year end. If you have mrs and kids at home with mortgage/rent to pay I think most will do the

I definitely don’t blame them. With the rise in graduates has come the rise in jobs that demand the applicant has a degree even though decent A levels and a dollop of common sense is all that is required. However if you want to compete now, you need to get a degree for a job that doesn’t need a degree :unamused: .

Could I get a job other than basic work, probably not, I have no qualifications beyond A levels, yet I must be half switched on.

xichrisxi:

kscoombs:
That’s a van driver job doing 36 hours at most, I’m missing your point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pay for HGV training earn £8.55ph
Don’t pay for HGV training earn £8.50ph
Ya get me?!,Unless of course your justification for the [zb] HGV wage is because you are doing 60 hrs per week so you’ll earn more [emoji38]…if it is bear in mind you’ll have to work 40,000 hours before you are technically earning more per hour than the van driver based on HGV training costing £2,000.

I used to do the equivalent job for tesco for similar pay about 6 years ago. Its an easy job compared to many but after delivering to some of the most disgusting people I’ve ever encountered in their stomach churning stink hole of a home I’d never recommend it to anyone.

I agree on your point about the investment for the licence looks bad with that comparison but as has been said already, if the pay is crap simply don’t work there. I’m only just starting on the ladder and already earning significantly more than these jobs posted with near minimum wage rates. The licence gives you job options but if the licence holder makes crap choices with it then they’re a moron. These people not only screw themselves but the rest of us too by making it appear to be acceptable to pay so little.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My first and only contract of employment for driving (I’m still there now).
This was 2003 and I had just passed my class 2 and was getting paid as you can see what works out at £9.70ph for class 2 work working in the midlands,No nights out and no Sunday working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the maoster:
Based on a 60 hour week? Wtf? All of us who work in the real world know the hours involved in this job, but they don’t even try to hide it with the usual 40 hr week bollox.

I agree. It’s bent. If you do 60 hours one week, you’re gonna need a 36 hour week 2 in between to keep it legal…

Mind you, how come delivery drivers are already paying more than that for C2 work - and can’t get the staff despite it being for 40-48 hours compared to these mickey mouse outfits who would take the skin off your tea - if they could! :angry:

I was driving a class 2 delivering beer, wines and spirits to pubs and what like for £7.25 per hour about twenty years ago. I think that its heart breaking for the younger drivers that the pay has gone down in real terms. It was a good job back then with some “benefits”.

Are not all such jobs aimed at the more ignorant driver who either doesn’t know their own worth, or has somehow convinced themselves that their personal worth “isn’t much right now”… Eg. Ex-Cons looking for their first job after coming out of the wicker gate… :open_mouth:
Paul Jayda Jail.jpg

Perhaps there are still drivers in this country who don’t have much to do with the internet, and consequently will never get to read us all carping and sniping over “What a craply paid job this is everyone!” like this very thread? :unamused:

The EU continues to force smaller firms to take on huge costs to comply with their excessive regulations and other red tape. Smaller firms can only suffer further into the future whilst we continue within the EU, as we are, - with more “Bullying from Accountants” as described by Albion being the norm rather than the exception to drive wages down first, to NMW - and then at a later stage - if the Anti-Tory factions are to be believed - Get rid of even the NMW outright, to facilitate truly 20-years-old wage levels. :angry:

The trick here, is to stop believing that leaving the EU is “gonna be bad for us”. This halfway house hasn’t been too bad to date, but the longer it goes on, the more it will eventually bite here in “No man’s land” - if we don’t get on and do it to schedule. :neutral_face:

Winseer:

the maoster:
Based on a 60 hour week? Wtf? All of us who work in the real world know the hours involved in this job, but they don’t even try to hide it with the usual 40 hr week bollox.

I agree. It’s bent. If you do 60 hours one week, you’re gonna need a 36 hour week 2 in between to keep it legal…

That wasn’t quite my point Winseer me old mucker, I do 60 hours a week, week in week out all perfectly legally as I’m sure do a large number of posters here. My point was surely your week should be based on 40 or even 50 hours per week, but not 60.

Winseer:
The EU continues to force smaller firms to take on huge costs to comply with their excessive regulations and other red tape. Smaller firms can only suffer further into the future whilst we continue within the EU, as we are, - with more “Bullying from Accountants” as described by Albion being the norm rather than the exception to drive wages down first, to NMW - and then at a later stage - if the Anti-Tory factions are to be believed - Get rid of even the NMW outright, to facilitate truly 20-years-old wage levels. :angry:

|

I suspect that in or out of the EU, we will manage to have an inordinate number of rules and regulations. Just looking at what I hold in a personnel file now that I never used to. Night time 10 hour opt out, mobile phone policy, 3 monthly updates of driver licenses, today I will putting together some rubbish for them all to sign so that this GDRP garbage is covered and I can hold their details.

I don’t want to go back to a time with no H&S, disregard for hours ( my Dad had two log books same as everyone else), and my job as a kid was to navigate and keep him awake. :unamused: , but there’s so much paperwork now that doesn’t help employer or employee.

Same here mate… I do 50 hours a week (class 2) at £8.50 an hour. Anything over 40 hours is time and a half at £12.75 an hour.

I take home £467 a week before tax and just shy of £380 after tax… Or 24k a year!

I’m actually doing my class 1 next week. It’s costing me £1200 but I’ll then earn £9.50 an hour for 40 hours and then £14.25 after 40 hours… So £522 before tax… £416 after tax or 27k a year!

But weekends are paid at £2 an hour more so I can maybe add a grand onto that figure?

Still it’s hardly the grand fortune people make truck driving out to be.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4yorks:
Same here mate… I do 50 hours a week (class 2) at £8.50 an hour. Anything over 40 hours is time and a half at £12.75 an hour.

I take home £467 a week before tax and just shy of £380 after tax… Or 24k a year!

I’m actually doing my class 1 next week. It’s costing me £1200 but I’ll then earn £9.50 an hour for 40 hours and then £14.25 after 40 hours… So £522 before tax… £416 after tax or 27k a year!

But weekends are paid at £2 an hour more so I can maybe add a grand onto that figure?

I presume you are in Yorkshire somewhere, which from what I’ve heard, isn’t a high paying area. And I presume you are talking about staying at the firm you are with. Have you thought of moving, is there a possibility of working elsewhere?

I really do think that there are firms out there that pay better and it’s a. finding them and b.making yourself the kind of person that a decent employer wants to attract ( obvs you have nailed the second point 4yorks :smiley: ).

I’ve said before, van drivers here are on 9.28 and we are not that far from Yorkshire.

4yorks:

Truck driving may not pay a fortune but its one of the shrinking number of places where you have no issue getting a full time job. Most places now are part time and overtime. Not good if you need a steady income or upset the boss and he he cancels ypur overtime for a couple of weeks as punishment