Fridged Freight

Conga:
Remember weekended with Jesus outside of Dublin.He carried his own darts.We went into the Bar/Shop and he told me to buy a set of darts.The only ones in the shop were ultra heavy.But after several ales him and I were unbeatable.

Possibly Leixlip. Our main collection places for the American Forces Europe beef were Canal st, Dublin, Leixlip, Kildare Chilling, Lyons of Longford or Nenagh. We shipped out of Belfast, Dublin or Waterford (for a short disastrous spell). I cannot remember ever leaving by Larne, only going in, and George Betts and I did go out from Heysham once. Jim.

jmc jnr:

Conga:
Remember weekended with Jesus outside of Dublin.He carried his own darts.We went into the Bar/Shop and he told me to buy a set of darts.The only ones in the shop were ultra heavy.But after several ales him and I were unbeatable.

Possibly Leixlip. Our main collection places for the American Forces Europe beef were Canal st, Dublin, Leixlip, Kildare Chilling, Lyons of Longford or Nenagh. We shipped out of Belfast, Dublin or Waterford (for a short disastrous spell). I cannot remember ever leaving by Larne, only going in, and George Betts and I did go out from Heysham once. Jim.

I shipped out of Waterford twice on aGerman ship.First time was reversed inti the ship only to pull water pipes off the roof.Next trip the crew wanted me to go in first so I reminded them of the pipes.Last on,very rough crossing went onto the stairs to have a look several times the tailer was so tight to the roof hardly moved.On arriving in France a brand new Irish fridge had broken up like a bananna and refused entry.

Hello Conga. Yeah, we had big problems with that boat. The linkspan it used in Cherbourg was owned by Townsend Thoresson and their ferries had priority, so the German boat would try to unload when the tide was wrong and the landing legs on the trailers would foul it. Also the fridge boxes on the thumpers would hit the cab roof. There are pictures on here of WVF 500H with its roof modified to avoid this after damage. The longer trailers were the most liable. We didn’t know the score till I had a meeting with the Harbour-master in Townsends office - they were threatening to ban FF drivers cos Roly Robinson had bent up his landing legs and raised hell with the loadmaster. I think he had to be restrained from decking him, and who can blame him - he was very proud of his motor and kept it well tidy - same as most of you. The outcome was that we avoided putting the longer artics on it. Compared to anything else we used it was a pile of junk and not fit for purpose. It soon disappeared. By the way on one trip a storm delayed it so bad that the fridges ran out of fuel. We were ok cos I nicked petrol out of cars for the Thermo-Kings, but there were three UCC Artics with diesel fridges and the car deck was awash with the stuff from them taking it from their lorries and bleeding the fridge engines. Jim.

My favourite lorry

finally managed to post a picture!

LB76:

well done that man , well done … :smiley:

LB76:

Wow ! can we see one of the LBS 76 now ?

LB76:
My favourite lorry 0

Great picture,I remember Fridged Freight well :sunglasses:

Were they standard AECs or were the engines tampered with

Nice work Bill - it took me bloody years! Only downside is you’ll be ‘forcing’ me into making another model by posting such cracking looking wagons… :wink:

Top picture of a real lorry & trailer, get some more on pronto LB76

Great photo mate,I didn’t know that Fridgid Freight ran Ergos.
It looks like a sleeper cab?

As it’s an early Mammoth Major what was the motor an AV691 or did it have the later AV760? And what box an AEC 6 speed or the 12 speed splitter?
What sort of all up weight would it be mate? Must have been close to 40 tonne with those old fidgge boxes and with being across the water.

Here’s a pic of a simular set up here in NZ in the 70’s,although it’s a Leyland Octopus not a Mammoth Major.

There were a couple of companys that ran Ergo 8x4’s with two and three axle trailers on fridge work,very impressive looking outfits.

Thanks again mate,keep 'em coming.

I reckon it would have the AV760 Jamie.The first Mandator I had was a 1966 “D” reg and it had the AV760 and also the mirrors had been moved to the door pillars as well.I know some of the early tilt cabs had the AV691 like the Mk5s.
Not sure what gearbox it would have,I’d go for the AEC 6-speed although a Fuller would have been nice :laughing: .

Fridged Freight would often call into the Scania agents where I worked to collect spares,I dread to think what the weight of some of their outfits was, they always seemed to be well down on the springs.

My mate started with FF . He picked the loaded truck up from Diss, drove as far as the docks to ship out & left the job & the motor there. He said the weight was unbelievable & the rig was lucky to make it to the docks. There was no power steering. I think they used to crane them on to the boat in those days.

hi jamie, the unladen weight of that lorry was 24 tons (with trailer) not bad when you consider that it was only 32 tons max in UK at the time.i have the build sheet for the lorry somewhere i will dig it out and post it for you , it was a 760 in that one and originally had been fitted with an exhaust brake which wasnt a success, the fitters at Wyatts were far and away the best i have ever come across and they made those AEC’s sing!

LB76:
hi jamie, the unladen weight of that lorry was 24 tons (with trailer) not bad when you consider that it was only 32 tons max in UK at the time.i have the build sheet for the lorry somewhere i will dig it out and post it for you , it was a 760 in that one and originally had been fitted with an exhaust brake which wasnt a success, the fitters at Wyatts were far and away the best i have ever come across and they made those AEC’s sing!

Very interesting tell us more

for anyone who is interested the AEC Society is holding their annual rally at Newark showground on the 28/29 of May 2011 camping available for more info go to the AEC Society site , come along and have a natter