Van Hee Transport

did a lot moving equipment around the uk and europe, for a televsion program back in the 80ty, forgot name of program :blush: :blush: the guy who owned the equipment always asked for morris to do the job.

John Osario.

Alot of this was for the childrens program Super Champs. The equipment was jet ski’s,hovercrafts,etc. I think if i remember correctly the late Terry Mcguiness also used to get onto this job.

Hello Everyone

I’ve just jioned the forum and have to say it is chock full of good memories and wagons. A lot of my time in the industry I worked for Van Hee and thought I’d post pics of the brochure they had out around the time the 38 tonne limit arrived. The ‘A’ reg Scania 113 was the first 38 tonner and Scania bought and the four rigids also, all ‘Y’ reg. I only heard recently that Van Hee was now under the wing of TAL along with other Northeastern companies, anyone know the story there?

Cheers Franky

hi franky, van hee sold the transport side to tal. nov 2007 they moved the trucks and staff to gallacher’s yard ,remember this one, bumper :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ps thats young jimmy ryan with the patrol

Yeah Bumper and old Harry Plant on the forklift. I haven’t got that photo but one or two others of those snow bound Transcons, pity I never got one of the F89 and always meant to, I remember Tony was’nt too chuffed when he came back from his sailing trip to find it in the yard with a siezed engine, who was the young Cockney lad that was driving it at the time? Here’s another Transcon pic you might or might not have, by the way I got your Scania wrong should have been 112 not the later 113, just noticed. Franky.

had a few nights out with a guy who was the spit for kenny rogers what a laugh he was must be retired by now though

I was about to say the same.He was always at whitwood truckstop.

Tonyb

Correct bumper all the moters gone might see a trailer or two still in Van Hee colours & unlike the other companies under the TAL banner does`nt seem any with Van Hee written on them.The drivers that stayed with them work out of Gallachers yard Annfield Plain

That Kenny Rodgers lookalike must be Morris Potts (Pottsy) a great character and could tell a good tale, he did frequent Whitwood alot especially when Normans Cafe on the A1 closed. He lives quite near me but I haven’t seen him for a while, I would presume he’s hung up his wagon keys by now. He did appear in a docu about the haulage business a few years ago (I’ve still got it on tape somewhere), trying to put the drivers view across at a time when HGV drivers and companies were getting stick from all corners (what’s new) and he came across very well. He was into American cars with his pal Jimmy Jarvis who also drove for Van Hee for a time. Seems like the days are gone when companies that are took over retain the name and livery. Could never understand why when Andersons got F Short & Son from Tyneside many moons ago, they kept the Short name with Andersons livery right up to today, must be a reason!
Cheers Franky.

hi everyone, morris potts, is retired now still into the yanky car scene, has a static cravan at woolsingham, were he spends most of the summer, morris was well like by everyone who met him, did a lot moving equipment around the uk and europe, for a televsion program back in the 80ty, forgot name of program :blush: :blush: the guy who owned the equipment always asked for morris to do the job, bumper :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Frankydobo
Thought you may like these they were taken a while back in Dallas of Kingstons yard. A lot of Van Hee lorries came in & out during the years was there any tie up between the two companies?

Cheers Rich

Ahh, cheers for those pics Tribsa, its amazing until I came on this site I had no pictures of the Van Hee fleet now I have about a dozen.
I put a post on the scrapbook memories thread when a pic of a Van Hee 112 was posted and it happened to be the first 38 tonner I drove although it was only while the permanent driver was off sick. However UCN 923Y was the very first vehicle I drove on my return to Van Hee as a driver, I’d previously been employed in the workshop. The first trip was also a memorable one down to Cornwall with a machine very similar to the one on the Scania in the pic. These underground mining machines and vehicles were built on the Team Valley in Gateshead by a company called Eimco and the one I had on was to be working in one of the Cornish mines that was still in use then. I back loaded, you’ve guessed it, bagged China Clay for the Potteries. These early Scania 82’s were terrific tools, a little heavy, we could only load 9.5 tonne legally but often put the full 10 on and with its big engine (for a 16 tonne GVW Rigid) it didn’t matter, in fact I think they went better. From the first photo it looks as if that is our old mate ‘Jock’ undoing his Warricks, who sadly is no longer with us and was a real character and I’m sure he got the Scanny after me when I got an Artic. Thanks again, maybe someone has a pic of my favourite Transcon WOK 158T, that would be great. Cheers Franky.

Thought I`d ressurect this one Frankie & bumper Drink with an ex workmate of the two of you told him about the post & he asked to be mentioned had one of the transcons I think Jimmy Goodrum says hello

Ahh cheers Greek we know Jimmy well and his young Bro John who was mad as a hatter but they are both cracking lads. I used to give Jims ■■■■■■■ in his Transcon a tweak now and then to set the injectors as he always complained it wouldn’t go so after an adjustment he was happy until the next time, I think it was just one of those engines as a check by ■■■■■■■ showed all was supposedly well. Hope I might see him soon if he’s going to Jimmy Hill’s Birthday drink on the 2nd May tell him. Franky.

Will tell him Franky, was up at scots gap with him last yr had a drink with a couple of the lads.
John still mad as a hatter works for Tyneside Express I used to work with him at Gallachers

JUST JOINED MARK FAHY EX RTH-INTERNATIONAL KNEW QUITE A FEW VAN HEE LADS SOMETIMES HAVE A PINT WITH ALAN CROWTHER JIMMY JARVIS LIVES NEXT TO ME HE STILL AT RTH, SPOKE WITH JIMMY HILL YESTERDAY ABOUT HIS BIRTHDAY BASH FIRST TIME I MET JIMMY WAS 20 YEAR AGO WHEN I WORKED FOR KRIS KRISTIANSEN DIAMOND BLOKE IS JIMMY, KRIS WORKING FOR THAT MOB AT CRAMLINGTON NOW DELIVERING VENDING MACHINE STUFF.

Cheers Mark, nice to hear those names are still going, Jimmy Jarvis used to cadge a sarnie off me every break time, big sod! I hope to see some of them at Jim’s birthday next week. Strange, I know TAL now has Van Hee’s motors but I haven’t seen any with the name on like Gallachers and Freeways have. Seems a lot of those lads are still driving despite the game not being the same anymore. Franky.

van hee will be a sad missed sight,not everyones favourite colour scheme,but very distinctive none the less!!.

i remember van hee well,and i will always have a soft spot for them ,because i trained with them and passed my class one there,way back in 1995!,in a tri axle "e"reg scania,with more gears than zf!.

AYE THERE WAS SOME GOOD LADS ON THE ROAD FRANKY , I LEFT RTH ABOUT 8 YEAR AGO I WENT TO WORK OFFSHORE WHICH I AM STILL DOING I AM ON MY WAY TO EGYPT AT MOMENT , ON A OFFSHORE CONSTRUCTION SHIP WE DO ALL SUBSEA WORK WITH ROBOTS AND DIVERS, I STILL DO A BIT WHEN I AM OFF FOR RTH AND MTL HEAVY HAULAGE IN ABERDEEN, WITH THIS JOB I AM 5 WEEKS ON 5 WEEKS OFF. ME OLD MAN STILL AT FREEWAYS BEEN THEIR 36 YEAR HE IS CALLED STAN .

2 van hee motors were at truckfest at the weekend