Ford Dagenham recruiting

Harry Monk:

Juddian:
This is not an agency bashing post by the way, many are thoroughly decent drivers and people who simply want flexible working where they are in charge of when they work, unfortunately they can’t have their cake and eat it, when work is quiet they get knocked back and then some winge about it, that also is part of voluntarily putting yourself into overspill work, which agency driving is.

I don’t know any agency driver who doesn’t understand that he is likely to be stood down during quiet periods for a haulier, or haulage in general. As an agency driver myself it is something that I accept goes with the territory.

I’d disagree with your statement (which I edited out) that “proper jobs” pay more than agency jobs “across the board”. Sometimes I earn the same as the employed drivers, sometimes more but never less. Next week I am on £11.50 an hour PAYE at a firm where the employed drivers earn £10 an hour.

I did say proper jobs. Proper jobs pay the right rate.

Juddian:

And how much is that?

Harry Monk:

Juddian:

And how much is that?

I’m not quoting pay scales on open forum, but after doing the hours divided by wage calculation up to twice the figures quoted depending on shift patterns worked, higher average still on nights.

As Vauxhall’s have just laid 400 men off, maybe Ford are watching this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So…can’t help myself, how much does these guys at Ford make?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Juddian:

Harry Monk:

Juddian:
This is not an agency bashing post by the way, many are thoroughly decent drivers and people who simply want flexible working where they are in charge of when they work, unfortunately they can’t have their cake and eat it, when work is quiet they get knocked back and then some winge about it, that also is part of voluntarily putting yourself into overspill work, which agency driving is.

I don’t know any agency driver who doesn’t understand that he is likely to be stood down during quiet periods for a haulier, or haulage in general. As an agency driver myself it is something that I accept goes with the territory.

I’d disagree with your statement (which I edited out) that “proper jobs” pay more than agency jobs “across the board”. Sometimes I earn the same as the employed drivers, sometimes more but never less. Next week I am on £11.50 an hour PAYE at a firm where the employed drivers earn £10 an hour.

Proper company all the time watch around what pay another .Nobody will pay much much more than pay all.Now you can see everywhere who to many cleaner or drivers,security work for subcontractor.All want save money.If i or you open own company that we will do same.

Andrejs:

Juddian:

Harry Monk:

Juddian:

Proper company all the time watch around what pay another .Nobody will pay much much more than pay all.Now you can see everywhere who to many cleaner or drivers,security work for subcontractor.All want save money.If i or you open own company that we will do same.

This might be true in the Hire and Reward haulage sector, as they’re chasing the same rates, but own account operations can be different.

Bino10:

I asked the same thing and still haven’t got an answer, not even a bit of MMTM.

Juddian:
This might be true in the Hire and Reward haulage sector, as they’re chasing the same rates, but own account operations can be different.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes ,but how many truck now belong to own account operations.Most big companies use XPO,DHL and more.Exampy NFT-Asda buy truck for Nft Asda,Asda rent warehouse,Asda buy diesel for NFt.Transport companies will never dictate what they want.suppliers and buyers will dictate what they want and for what price.

Andrejs:

Muckles:

Yes ,but how many truck now belong to own account operations.Most big companies use XPO,DHL and more.Exampy NFT-Asda buy truck for Nft Asda,Asda rent warehouse,Asda buy diesel for NFt.Transport companies will never dictate what they want.suppliers and buyers will dictate what they want and for what price.

Agreed there aren’t many these days, but where they are still operating it tends to be because they have reasons for not putting the work out to tender to the Hire and Reward Haulage sector, which means the operation won’t be about pure profit and cheapest rates, but offering their customers a service, There is a company next to where I live that still run their own fleet, and I’ve never seen them advertise for drivers, unlike the General Haulage fleets near me who are often advertising and complaining they can’t get drivers.

And I assume from the fuss on here Ford still run their own transport fleet, which is why it’s supposed to be a top job for pay and conditions.

muckles:

Bino10:

I asked the same thing and still haven’t got an answer, not even a bit of MMTM.

I don’t know what they are on now but in the early / mid 90`s a chap I knew was on there. I saw his wage slips and it was working out between £700-£900 per week, cant remember whether that was before or after stoppages though!! Shift pay, this pay, that pay, serious night out money, you could have a night out in the Circus Tavern if your hours ran out. Heavily unionised and with some odd start times for shifts etc, timed runs. As has been said, Ford Truck Fleet was the ultimate dead mans shoes. The only way in used to be that you had to work in the Dagenham plant but in another job role.
I would imagine that what ever the new starters rate is now, it wont match the old pay rates.

muckles:

Andrejs:

Muckles:

Agreed there aren’t many these days, but where they are still operating it tends to be because they have reasons for not putting the work out to tender to the Hire and Reward Haulage sector, which means the operation won’t be about pure profit and cheapest rates, but offering their customers a service, There is a company next to where I live that still run their own fleet, and I’ve never seen them advertise for drivers, unlike the General Haulage fleets near me who are often advertising and complaining they can’t get drivers.

And I assume from the fuss on here Ford still run their own transport fleet, which is why it’s supposed to be a top job for pay and conditions.

All big companies have plenty drivers.If you not believe that you make CV .And put you CV at all this job site,sent CV to tranpsort companies.ANd you will be very wonderfull but you may get just coupe answer from not biggest agency or crap company.If they not answer that they have enough drivers.Now not so much drivers shortgate but just big turnover.To many drivers leaving company,agency without reason.Thousand drivers really all the time in looking for job from company to compamy.

Do they still run the old Ford Cargo’s? The last one Ford made must be getting a bit old in the tooth now, unless they have some old TransCons still floating about…

Andrejs:

muckles:

Andrejs:

Muckles:

All big companies have plenty drivers.If you not believe that you make CV .And put you CV at all this job site,sent CV to tranpsort companies.ANd you will be very wonderfull but you may get just coupe answer from not biggest agency or crap company.If they not answer that they have enough drivers.Now not so much drivers shortgate but just big turnover.To many drivers leaving company,agency without reason.Thousand drivers really all the time in looking for job from company to compamy.

I think you’ll find big companies rely on agencies staff, they only take the minimum full time staff they need and they are unlikely to worry about your CV on their desk, most large companies, like Fords, don’t use their own staff to do the initial recruitment, they get agencies to do that, they’ll either take on agency drivers that already work for them on a temp to permanent contract, or the agency will send them a small group of candidates from all the applications. I know this as I’ve applied to large companies and my CV has ended up in the hands of a Recruitment Agency that the company used to get new employees.

And back to the original point, Own Account Operations will often pay more as they aren’t about competing for the rates, the transport side is seen as a service to their customers, so maybe the job will be dealing with the customer who is actually paying the money for the goods, (not a load of forklift drivers and warehouse staff) or the job might involve a bit more than just opening the curtains, a bit of physical work or some technical ability. So they want to know what type of drivers they have doing the job, therefore direct employment is the best way.

^^ excellent Muckles, that just about sums it up.

Some companies still believe the customer is THE most important person, and servicing the customer better than the competition with a better product and unbeatable service comes before anything else, it’s why some of these old companies have ridden the various recessions out and are still going strong, the transport will obviously have to be as cost effective as possible, but not trimmed to the bone like hire and reward now is.
Not all customers buy on price alone, a complete and reliable service with a good product is still valued out there.

Yes such jobs are precious few now, you only have to look around a typical MSA park and chances are only one or two lorries parked there on break will be own account, the rest a mixture of general hire and reward, contract hauliers for manufacturers, sometimes contract vehicles in customer’s colours, sometimes pulling customer’s trailers.

Those lucky enough to still be in own account or other rare jobs generally appreciate what a unique position they have (especially those of us that have been at the other end), ie i guess you appreciate your niche job as much as i appreciate mine, and those in such jobs do their level best to make sure the company’s good name/service continues and the job stays.

I have an idea what the lads on the old contracts were on about 3/4 years ago, however to give you an idea what the pay was like around 2008/9 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41210

At the time my mate was taking home £800 a week…+ his nights out at £70 a pop…on international he was paid for a hotel and meal allowance too…and i did get to see his wage slips…so the proof was there.

And yes Harry, your right to a degree…as i used to pull a £ fiver out of his ear to buy his round…ha ha

Juddian:
Some companies still believe the customer is THE most important person, and servicing the customer better than the competition with a better product and unbeatable service comes before anything else, it’s why some of these old companies have ridden the various recessions out and are still going strong, the transport will obviously have to be as cost effective as possible, but not trimmed to the bone like hire and reward now is.
Not all customers buy on price alone, a complete and reliable service with a good product is still valued out there.

/quote]

Exactly how our place works. Bulk bags of polished stone/coloured aggregate for gardens/ fish ponds/tanks ect are sorted/ rebagged by us in a seperate warehouse directly for the customer, two of them being Pets at Home and Reef One and around 50% of our work is of this type. A top service is always without fail given, ie quality of the product and time deliveries. The other half is general haulage/ groupage but the rates are lower. Excepting the times i need a break from my usual run i prefer to keep on the agg…

harrawaffa:

truckman020:
why don’t companies recruit themselves anymore,why is it allways through an agency,could it be that they want to see what the drivers are made of first before taking them on full time,or is it because they don’t want the hassle

So they can increase and reduce their workforce as and when they feel like it. No commitments to anyone and no rights because you’re no their employee.

yeah,see what you mean,same as companies leasing vehicles now,one payment each month and everything handled by the lease company