Fodens.

Well I prefered the plank alloy type of body which I had on my S 20 Foden tipper, In those days it was good for Tar jobs , Which of course was a better rate than dry stone loads, The good old days Eh, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well I prefered the plank alloy type of body which I had on my S 20 Foden tipper, In those days it was good for Tar jobs , Which of course was a better rate than dry stone loads, The good old days Eh, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

Tarmac was 80 pence per tonne more than dry at our quarry, some places paid the same rate for both though. You needed a really good insulated body to carry wearing course though, all the bodies were tested with thermal image cameras when loaded and any (mostly the lightweight ones) with major cold spots meant they could only cart base courses. All academic now though as the tarmac plants have long gone, as have most of the other quarries in the area! :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Tarmac was 80 pence per tonne more than dry at our quarry, some places paid the same rate for both though. You needed a really good insulated body to carry wearing course though, all the bodies were tested with thermal image cameras when loaded and any (mostly the lightweight ones) with major cold spots meant they could only cart base courses. All academic now though as the tarmac plants have long gone, as have most of the other quarries in the area! :unamused:

Pete.

Usually better rate on the black, but my God, sometimes you’d earn it

Well I used to haul for Tilcon from various quarries, Both dry stone & Tar , They paid decent rates plus standing time when waiting to tip on a Barber Green with the black stuff, I once had to take a full load of Topping to a Councel tip when the BG Broke down, Tilcon paid me for re delivering this load,So I had a good day, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well I used to haul for Tilcon from various quarries, Both dry stone & Tar , They paid decent rates plus standing time when waiting to tip on a Barber Green with the black stuff, I once had to take a full load of Topping to a Councel tip when the BG Broke down, Tilcon paid me for re delivering this load,So I had a good day, Regards Larry.

You’re right Larry, if you were running out of a half right quarry! When I was on for Tarmac Cliffe all was paid ,on for a subber out of Cliffe,two hopes

31891317108_79be75e4ef.jpgYou might know this gal Spardo !

United Glass Foden.

coomsey:
0You might know this gal Spardo !

Not personally, it looks like K&M, I wasn’t on tippers there, but powder tankers. But I did have a tank on that model and, as I have said before, a nice cosy driving position.

Then I went onto artics but, thankfully, with a hopper tank. I was always nervous of artic tippers after my time at Bulkliners where they had several fall over, but a tanker would have been a bit different, normally on level ground and not having to move while discharging. Also less likely to have stuff stuck up the top to unbalance them. :smiley:

Spardo:

coomsey:

Not personally, it looks like K&M, I wasn’t on tippers there, but powder tankers. But I did have a tank on that model and, as I have said before, a nice cosy driving position.

Then I went onto artics but, thankfully, with a hopper tank. I was always nervous of artic tippers after my time at Bulkliners where they had several fall over, but a tanker would have been a bit different, normally on level ground and not having to move while discharging. Also less likely to have stuff stuck up the top to unbalance them. :smiley:

How many motors did they run Spardo? I ran out of Bolsover,Linby n Blidworth n used to see them regularly but that’s no clue to size of the fleet. Cheers Coomsey
Ps, you must man up with the artic tipper thing !! :unamused: :smiley:

coomsey:

Spardo:

coomsey:

How many motors did they run Spardo? I ran out of Bolsover,Linby n Blidworth n used to see them regularly but that’s no clue to size of the fleet. Cheers Coomsey

Not sure but a good couple of dozen or so. I joined when they were still in the old railway goods yard just behind a row of houses between Bulwell and Hucknall. The houses came after the shunting yard, which would have been very noisy, but before the arrival of K & M, didn’t stop them getting the lorries kicked out though, up to where I think they still are at Hucknall aerodrome.

A bit of useless info for you, I think that K & M stood for Keetch and Middleton and I often wonder if there was a family connection With Keetch’s haulage at Stapleford. I never worked for them but the rather large manager there later became manager at Dixon’s of Derby, where I did work for a time. Yes, on artic tippers :laughing: , but I won’t be doing it anymore. :wink:

Blimey, this is getting a bit like Comedy Connections. :open_mouth: :unamused:

K and M painted the new Sed Ak 400’s that Tilcon bought from Bradley Trucks at Clay Cross and when we steamed them off for test the paint peeled off in sheets! :open_mouth: I took each one to Watnall for test and then round to K and M where they painted them again! Not really their fault, Tilcon wanted a quick cheap job and that was what they got! :laughing:

Pete.

Spardo:

coomsey:

Spardo:

coomsey:

Not sure but a good couple of dozen or so. I joined when they were still in the old railway goods yard just behind a row of houses between Bulwell and Hucknall. The houses came after the shunting yard, which would have been very noisy, but before the arrival of K & M, didn’t stop them getting the lorries kicked out though, up to where I think they still are at Hucknall aerodrome.

A bit of useless info for you, I think that K & M stood for Keetch and Middleton and I often wonder if there was a family connection With Keetch’s haulage at Stapleford. I never worked for them but the rather large manager there later became manager at Dixon’s of Derby, where I did work for a time. Yes, on artic tippers :laughing: , but I won’t be doing it anymore. :wink:

We must have crossed paths at some time! Certainly with bulkfreight if not Dixon’s. Mind you it was surprising how long you could go without seeing a workmate, for all you’d be doing the same work. Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:
We must have crossed paths at some time! Certainly with bulkfreight if not Dixon’s. Mind you it was surprising how long you could go without seeing a workmate, for all you’d be doing the same work. Cheers Coomsey

More than likely, mind you at Bulkliners we did see quite a lot of each other, coalfields to Beeston for the Freightliner trains or direct to London, then backloaded with scrap for STP etc,

I was casual for Dixon’s, what they call zero hours nowadays, but I loved it working when I felt like it, and it was there that I drove my first 88. A bloke at Watford Gap was well impressed at ‘my’ new motor. :laughing:

Spardo:

coomsey:

Spardo:

coomsey:

A little more useless information
My Dad worked at K&M around 67/68 when they were based at Piccadilly

coomsey:

Spardo:

coomsey:

Spardo:

coomsey:

Hiya Coomsey I worked with a chap Ian Patrick he was a mechanic at Dixon’s a very clever Gardner man
Also I knew 2 drivers Bob Beeton and Pat McGrory they both were on Dixons

Fine looking machine.
Oily

Foden Ronnie AJB 5657415929_9301374c86_rcc o.jpg

oiltreader:
Fine looking machine.
Oily

Joe Dean’s trucks, usually Leyland four wheelers, used to deliver machinery to our quarry on a regular basis. There is a piece about them in this months Heritage Commercials mag.

Pete.

windrush:

oiltreader:
Fine looking machine.
Oily

Joe Dean’s trucks, usually Leyland four wheelers, used to deliver machinery to our quarry on a regular basis. There is a piece about them in this months Heritage Commercials mag.

Pete.

Beats me why anyone would drive one of those when you could have an ERF B series :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

oiltreader:
Fine looking machine.
Oily

Pete.

Beats me why anyone would drive one of those when you could have an ERF B series :open_mouth:

I sat behind the wheel of Frank Dales B series once, that convinced me that they were even more cramped than my Foden! Luckily for me Eric had sold his ERF before I went working for him! :laughing:

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

oiltreader:
Fine looking machine.
Oily

Pete.

Plus 1 punchy