Fodens.

FB_IMG_1568407907473.jpg

coomsey:

Well Dan , When I used to haul Lime for delivery to farms on the Scotish Borders , Mostley weekend work which was a bit extra dosh I never failed to get the load to where the farmer wanted it, One farm I went to had quite a few loads tipped in the farmyard because the Volvo F 86 s didnt have the power to go up this steep incline where the farmer wanted it, The farmer was allways greatful & gave me a tray of free range eggs, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Dan , When I used to haul Lime for delivery to farms on the Scotish Borders , Mostley weekend work which was a bit extra dosh I never failed to get the load to where the farmer wanted it, One farm I went to had quite a few loads tipped in the farmyard because the Volvo F 86 s didnt have the power to go up this steep incline where the farmer wanted it, The farmer was allways greatful & gave me a tray of free range eggs, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

And I just hope you never “sold” them to the café you stopped at on the way back Larry :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

And I just hope you never “sold” them to the café you stopped at on the way back Larry :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Now then Dennis, I will have you know I allways went to work on a EGG, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , rEGARDS lARRY.

I bet the fania drivers went hungry too :laughing:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Now then Dennis, I will have you know I allways went to work on a EGG, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , rEGARDS lARRY.

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I still go to work on an Egg, I love them fried to perfection with no laced curtains around the edges,Mind you I had plenty of those over cooked eggs with black snotties & dark brown horrible crispy bits in Transport Cafes , The Carlson just north of Doncaster the one before The Red House Cafe, I only stopped there once it was total crap, The Red House was much better in the 50/60s Era, Of course being very fond of good food Im very fussy about what I eat :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Of course Im a Single Malt drinker too :wink: :wink: :wink: ,Regards Larry.

FB_IMG_1568466777483.jpg
Giving it some welly

FB_IMG_1568467115558.jpg
Odd body !! Neville ?

Re; Odd body !! Neville ?
These Dump Trucks from 1967 were orders for Whytes of Malaya and the Sierra Leone Selection Trust of West Africa, the Whyte’s trucks had a Gross of 24Tons and the West Africa orders were 35Tons, both had Gardner 6LX engines with the 24 Tonners having 8 Ton front and 16 Ton rear axles and the 35 Tonners Foden axles and 10 speed epicyclic gearbox, both had the aluminium-alloy section dumper bodies but the maker is not mentioned although the design may have been a particular requirement for the type of work the trucks would carry out. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Re; Odd body !! Neville ?
These Dump Trucks from 1967 were orders for Whytes of Malaya and the Sierra Leone Selection Trust of West Africa, the Whyte’s trucks had a Gross of 24Tons and the West Africa orders were 35Tons, both had Gardner 6LX engines with the 24 Tonners having 8 Ton front and 16 Ton rear axles and the 35 Tonners Foden axles and 10 speed epicyclic gearbox, both had the aluminium-alloy section dumper bodies but the maker is not mentioned although the design may have been a particular requirement for the type of work the trucks would carry out. Franky.

Thanks for that, still an odd looking body, can’t beat Wilcox ! Cheers Coomsey

I’d say Neville as well, going by the method of construction. Neville used a clever modular system whereby extruded alloy sections about 15 inches wide could be bolted/rivetted together to make up the required length of body. This one looks to have been built the same way, but the tapered profile is certainly unusual.

fodenway:
I’d say Neville as well, going by the method of construction. Neville used a clever modular system whereby extruded alloy sections about 15 inches wide could be bolted/rivetted together to make up the required length of body. This one looks to have been built the same way, but the tapered profile is certainly unusual.

Clever or not, I’m not keen on the look.

coomsey:

fodenway:

Neville bodies were useless on quarry work , when they got worn they bent between each join , so if you were tipping damp or sticky materials you ended up with stuff stuck all down the body .

IMG_0017%20(640x453).jpg

rigsby:

coomsey:

fodenway:

Neville bodies were useless on quarry work , when they got worn they bent between each join , so if you were tipping damp or sticky materials you ended up with stuff stuck all down the body .

I never used one Dave but the coal n gravel boys liked them. Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

rigsby:

coomsey:

fodenway:

I never used one Dave but the coal n gravel boys liked them. Cheers Coomsey

That Foden appeared in this advert in 1966 Coomsey. :wink:

Click on pages once or twice.

Heres a few more Fodens Hoveringham operated.

As to all this chatter about the ribbed tipping bodies ,it probably was Neville as per the two below. :unamused: However there were an
awful lot of trailer manufacturers about back then. The design would date it from the 1960’s early 70’s. The last pic/advert shows a similar
design from Northern Trailers,and i am sure other manufacturers would have built similar style bodies.

tipper g.e.neville 1960.PNG

tipper neville 621.PNG

tipper neville 62.PNG

Thanks for that Dean, but as my old mucker Will once said " Would a bulker body by any other name look just as ■■■■■ ?" Cheers Coomsey