Fodens.

image.png

Spardo:

coomsey:
Couple of working gals !!

Indeed they are, Coomsey, I did love that model, had one at K&M as well as a couple of other Fodens. The driving position was so cosy, sat up high in your seat with the wheel tucked neatly in your lap, :smiley:

Good lookers especially the twin steers,mine for a while above. If only they’d lifted the door top a tad,Trev Glover gaffa of the above wouldn’t get in one if he could help it. He was built like a brick dodah, you couldn’t see his head when he drove one round the yard

Spardo:

coomsey:

Indeed they are, Coomsey, I did love that model, had one at K&M as well as a couple of other Fodens. The driving position was so cosy, sat up high in your seat with the wheel tucked neatly in your lap, :smiley:

Even though I passed my test in one, and drove plenty of S36/S39/S40 and S50 as a fitter, I found the steering wheel was mounted too low down and had to twist my left leg around between the wheel and gearlever to work the clutch. I did plenty of engine and gearbox rebuilds on them though! :wink: Better for me when the S80 etc cabs came in with the adjustable column.

Pete.

windrush:

Spardo:

coomsey:

Even though I passed my test in one, and drove plenty of S36/S39/S40 and S50 as a fitter, I found the steering wheel was mounted too low down and had to twist my left leg around between the wheel and gearlever to work the clutch. I did plenty of engine and gearbox rebuilds on them though! :wink: Better for me when the S80 etc cabs came in with the adjustable column.

Pete.

I was obviously skinnier than you then, Pete. :laughing: :laughing:
Wouldn’t brag about getting into one now though. :unamused: :wink:

6227008723_62da9067a6.jpg

Evening All

Hasd anyone on here got any headlight rims for an S34 or a good 2 stroke engine complete

Cheers

Richard

FB_IMG_1568186455325.jpg
Thought about putting her on Rope n sheet or ■■■■■■■ but she belongs here I reckon ! Nmp

Lovely old Foden, sitting well down on her springs, looks like she’s got top weight on !

Heres a rare one.

Click on page once.

foden sa p foden ppg.PNG

fodenway:
Lovely old Foden, sitting well down on her springs, looks like she’s got top weight on !

Fodenway she’s a star! Doing her job, the driver done just enough n he’s nipped in for a cuppa

coomsey:

fodenway:

Fodenway she’s a star! Doing her job, the driver done just enough n he’s nipped in for a cuppa

• one to that, and who is that behind here? Thorpe?

Those Foden K Types didn’t really catch on, ok for light bulky loads but struggled at top weight with a two stroke engine and only a four speed 'box and single drive back end to save more weight. I think that Bison’s ran some though? Give Foden’s their due though, they were never afraid of experimenting with different designs even though some failed to take off.

Pete.

windrush:
Those Foden K Types didn’t really catch on, ok for light bulky loads but struggled at top weight with a two stroke engine and only a four speed 'box and single drive back end to save more weight. I think that Bison’s ran some though? Give Foden’s their due though, they were never afraid of experimenting with different designs even though some failed to take off.

Pete.

I’m disappointed in you Pete , as a Foden man you should know the K type had a 5 speed box . Super low 1st and reverse were included . Only joking , to get super low 1st was a ball ache , lift the clip in 1st , push forward then to the left and then pull back . Reverse was , engage reverse, then lift to the left and pull back . But then again you’d be too young to know about such things , whippersnapper !

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

I’m disappointed in you Pete , as a Foden man you should know the K type had a 5 speed box . Super low 1st and reverse were included . Only joking , to get super low 1st was a ball ache , lift the clip in 1st , push forward then to the left and then pull back . Reverse was , engage reverse, then lift to the left and pull back . But then again you’d be too young to know about such things , whippersnapper !

Yes, you are quite correct Dave, I do have youth on my side. :wink: However Fodens listed it as it only having a four speed box so presumably it wasn’t meant to go backwards either? :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

Yes, you are quite correct Dave, I do have youth on my side. :wink: However Fodens listed it as it only having a four speed box so presumably it wasn’t meant to go backwards either? :laughing:

Pete.

Come on Pete, Fodens can go anywere, Well mine did :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: They had to in those days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

To get 17 1/2 ton payload it must have had an extremely light platform Larry ! I recall that the Guy Warrior Light 8 could manage 17 ton @ 24 ton gvw and that had the AEC 7:7,5 speed box and Eaton two speed axle. Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

windrush:

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

Pete.

Come on Pete, Fodens can go anywere, Well mine did :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: They had to in those days, Regards Larry.

They do indeed ,well if your a proper owner operator like us ey Larry they do :sunglasses: :wink: