Foden Alpha ~ Past & Present

Hello

Despite Foden disappearing from the truck market in 2006, there are still quite a lot of the last model made by Foden, the Alpha, still around.

And, since I couldn’t find any dedicated thread to just the Alpha, I felt it was about time Trucknet UK had a thread for it!

This thread will look at all Foden Alpha’s, from the start of production in the 1990’s, up until Foden’s closer in 2006.

It would also be good if any photos of Alpha’s still going strong in countries such as New Zealand would be posted as I know there are still a lot of Foden Alphas out there.

Also, any tales of running Alpha’s or driving them would be very welcome.

Happy Posting!

Kindest regards
CG

I took these outside the quarry at Doveholes in Chapel en le Frith, which many years ago was called Taylor Friths now I believe its Cemex :question:

Do we really need another rose tinted thread about how great the Foden’s supposedly were? I’m sure if they were as fantastic as some on here make out, they’d still be around now…

Stanfield:
I took these outside the quarry at Doveholes in Chapel en le Frith, which many years ago was called Taylor Friths now I believe its Cemex :question:

Hello Stansfield

Excellent photos marra. Many thanks for those

Kindest regards
CG

dew:
Do we really need another rose tinted thread about how great the Foden’s supposedly were? I’m sure if they were as fantastic as some on here make out, they’d still be around now…

Hello dew

The only reason why Foden still isn’t on the go today is because Paccar where frightened that Foden sales would exceed the sales of there own DAF CF’s.

They also realised that when proposed Foden Falcon was announced, sales would be greater than sales of the DAF XF, therefore they closed Foden.

At the time of closer, sales where up and the demand was still there.

Talk to a lot of ex Foden hauliers most will tell you they would still buy Foden today if they could.

Absolutely nothing to do with Foden not been a great truck.
Completely to do with the American Management at Paccar

Kindest regards
CG

images.jpg

our alpha that my dad drives

CRAIG-D:
our alpha that my dad drives

Hello CRAIG D

Excellent photos marra. Many thanks

Kindest regards
CG

Never owned or ran an Alpha CG but I maintained and occasionally drove several Foden dumpers when I was a plant fitter. They were bomb proof. I also bought a Foden unit once but that was long before the Alpha came out. These are a few of the tippers I photographed last month.

Still lots of them being used in this fleet…

604.jpg

607.jpg

truckfing:
Never owned or ran an Alpha CG but I maintained and occasionally drove several Foden dumpers when I was a plant fitter. They were bomb proof. I also bought a Foden unit once but that was long before the Alpha came out. These are a few of the tippers I photographed last month.

Hello truckfing

Kindest regards
CG

norfolktrucker:

Hello Norfolktrucker

Excellent photo marra. Many thanks indeed

I’m I right in thinking Terry Seaman has a special Blue Foden Alpha?
Something to do with a ex sales demo?

Kindest regards

CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:

norfolktrucker:

Hello Norfolktrucker

Kindest regards

CG

Yep, tucked up in the shed with his other favourites.

norfolktrucker:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

norfolktrucker:

Hello Norfolktrucker

Kindest regards

CG

Yep, tucked up in the shed with his other favourites.

Thanks for that Norfolk trucker

Kindest regards
CG

One of these is a local operator and the other is the strangest I have seen for a while. Both Foden Alphas

truckfing:
One of these is a local operator and the other is the strangest I have seen for a while. Both Foden Alphas

Hello truckfing

That is definitely one of the strangest trailers I’ve seen.
Surely must be a waste ejector trailer or some description.

Kindest regards
CG

Foden Alpha engine

Kindest regards
CG

MCS For Hire

August 2010

Anyone know if this one is still going strong?

Kindest regards
CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Foden Alpha engine

Kindest regards
CG

Don’t go for a job as a fitter CG. The engine is further under the cab and can’t be reached from under the front panel.

truckfing:

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Foden Alpha engine

Kindest regards
CG

Don’t go for a job as a fitter CG. The engine is further under the cab and can’t be reached from under the front panel.

Yes quite right truckfing marra

Should have known!

Excellent photo. Is that a Foden Alpha tractor unit?

Kindest regards
CG

Sadly, no CG. It is an ECX but the layout will not be much different.