Flags,Stickers & Nameplates

Many years ago when I worked on Thompsons of Moretonhampstead a driver put a sticker of a butterfly in the windscreen and Friday when he got back he found himself sacked on the spot. Mr Thompson didn’t like stickers.
I was never into obstructing the windscreen with decoration but I did so hanker after one of those enamel on steel ladies from Garanor. Never got one though.

David

In some ways I even prefer the old tat of stickers and flags to some of the more sophisticated (and expensive!) bling on trucks nowadays. Robert

Used to be a pain in the arsenal when the fitter had to spend half an hour removing all that crap from the windscreen for an MOT, another pet hate of mine was cuddly toys stuffed behind the dash, once had to tell a driver to remove a 2ft long tiger and told him we wer’nt running a circus, Buzzer.
PS. the only thing I had was a little sign on the back of an F86 (push me) as I always thought it was a naturists truck as you could watch a rabbit mating at the bottom of a hill and by the time you got to the top it had a litter.

Only a couple of things in the windscreen…( :open_mouth: :smiley: )…

Geoffo:
Only a couple of things in the windscreen…( :open_mouth: :smiley: )…

Not wishing to sound nasty, ain’t that just ze old typical deutsch fahrer ?

Mit de grosse mercedes, lots of flags stickers and haberdashery in ze window. Topped off mit ze grossen mustache and jack Russell’s on ze feet.

Over the last few years the Eastern Europeans haven’t got any room left for flags and stickers in the screen because of all the Go boxes stuck to to screen and the laptop open on the dash top tables. They can still find room for a name plate with LEDs on the dash though

ERF MAN:
Over the last few years the Eastern Europeans haven’t got any room left for flags and stickers in the screen because of all the Go boxes stuck to to screen and the laptop open on the dash top tables. They can still find room for a name plate with LEDs on the dash though

Yes, very true…

In the 70s the gaffer would have thought you mad if you spent money on such nonsense. He,d be right money was too hard earned to waste on rubbish.
best not to stand out in the crowd I thought, I had one of the first to be painted in new livery everybody knew who n where I was not good.
on a similar track I come off an Akky n the chap that had it after painted the interior including door panels and dash post box red!!!■■?!!!

wouldn’t it be a boring old life if we all had to drive fleet spec plain white units with no personal tat whatsoever…if it makes you happy,bling it to death.

dieseldog999:
wouldn’t it be a boring old life if we all had to drive fleet spec plain white units with no personal tat whatsoever…if it makes you happy,bling it to death.

you.re right but don,t you think sometimes less is more? in the 70s most couldn,t afford to bling up n most if not all lorries were painted up to look good. Exception of course Tarmac anything you put on em made em look better even road muck
but having said that if I was still driving in this age of white I couldn,t bring meself to spend on one.Shame I didn,t apply that to beer I,d be a rich man by now.
If it makes you feel good n not hurting anybody do it!

I took this picture in Pakistan - takes bling to a whole new level! Robert

robert1952:
I took this picture in Pakistan - takes bling to a whole new level! Robert

Thats a case of more is more, more or less.

Bit of a long shot but would anybody have or know where i can get some old window flags & pennants…
Any help is appreciated.

peggydeckboy:
Hi all i will be the first to say what a thought at that time …if you worked for a company in the 1970/80s not a thing was put inside the screen as they were small enough as it was … as the cabs were then [zb] and no sleepers and it was a work place not a bloody circus ,might have been some clowns driving, however nothing untill that dreaded, blasted!!! song "convoy"came about,also with the CB crap to go with it …it all came from the american haulage game, and ours was nothing like it at all,and whoever the prat that started CBS in England wanted shooting…

What men never relished that the bosses would get the machines and would know where you, were what you were doing,absolute load of old tosh ,why would anyone want to talk to someone you did not know going the other way what was all that crap about so you knew where the hold ups were and accidents so what .

And as for flags and stickers ,they made a screen for you to look out of and do your job ,maybe we should have gone back to split screens .and one wiper no washers ,a fairy liquid bottle to squirt out of the window and get it all back in you face, but no fill it up with flags of places you have never heard of let alone been.to me it was all very childish and detracted from the job in hand, and as for mega paint jobs, air brushing peoples faces another load of tosh, and as for Stobart and his stupid naming of lorries ,and worse, people spotting them ,thank god i am away from all that hype and rubbish,and yes some may say good job i left the industry but i did it when trucks were just ordinary lorries that did road haulage like a lot of you other men. and that is my opinion.as it always was .ohh i forgot name plates what why would you want anyone to know your name.or someone’ name give me strength…

10/4 good buddy. :smiley:

I never felt the need to show where I had been with flags !

c3d0fef7-44d4-499a-852d-09871b26719b_zpsae0ee8a6.jpg

AS040112 pulling MS_zpshslo9zgs.jpg

Windows-1252BR1MgRmlsZTA4NTQuanBn.jpg

Windows-1252BR1MgRmlsZTA4NTUuanBn.jpg

Clear windscreen all the way…except for the Syrian and Jordanian Convoy papers oh and a two small Saudi air fresheners.

mogs:
Bit of a long shot but would anybody have or know where i can get some old window flags & pennants…
Any help is appreciated.

Try e bay if not go to CRC truck accesories

Hi all pics of my trucks with my stuff in it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great photos John ,love the TM and Volvo , not too sure about the Iveco though , you should put a photo of your Merc you drive now .

Nothing wrong with any of it, providing its not illegal or offensive.
and if its not to your taste, then so be it. Live and let live for the Gods sake.
Anyway, it was the Devil that made me do it.

If your go to put flags up, in the screen ,do the lot 193 not just the colours you like. no one cares where you have been ,someone has always done it before just like [Kilroy].