first f86

greek:
The early ones were grey nev, padded grey rubber sound proofing over the engine,grey painted dash & plastic seats, but still reasonably comfortable warm ,draft proof & quiet

Nev and Greek. I realised the photos were of the upgraded cream cab with some bells and whistles. I only used it to show the centre flap on the engine hump as some drivers could manage to lubricate the carpets without getting any oil in the engine.

Wheel Nut:

greek:
The early ones were grey nev, padded grey rubber sound proofing over the engine,grey painted dash & plastic seats, but still reasonably comfortable warm ,draft proof & quiet

Nev and Greek. I realised the photos were of the upgraded cream cab with some bells and whistles. I only used it to show the centre flap on the engine hump as some drivers could manage to lubricate the carpets without getting any oil in the engine.

I`m not telling you what I used the centre flap for wheelnut, but the gaffer was always complaning about white salty deposits over the engine :blush: :blush:

Decent shot of the earlier interior for you.

nevcambell:
Lifting the cab was a one man operation, providing the torsion bar was set up correctly, and no loose items, such as flasks, to put the windscreen out!!..Takes me back, the talk of the 86s, and working on them at Stillers!!

And providing the yard lad was tall enough. I could throw the cab over but had to stand on the catwalk which in those days were made of wood or a couple of skids and some floorboarding, with chains stretchers, ropes and scaffold bars :laughing:

It is amazing what silly things you remember after 40 odd years!

Seeing that pic of interior & the button on the floor reminded me ,the exhaust brake, bout as much use as chocolate fireguard

It is still my belief that our volvo reg VMB179E was the first one in England if not the UK it was registered
in March 1967 and yes I saw all the bumf in the motor transport and commercial motor about Hutchinson’s
being the first one.I was going to complain but never got around to it, as I recall Ailsa trucks confirmed ours
was the first but unfortunately at the time of the press release our vehicle had been written off and for convenience they used hutchinson’s for good press. Don’t believe everything the press says.

The straitened out chasis of ours is now with Keith Dickens who said he is going to rebuild it using a cab imported from south africa.

Peter Cross MD G Cross & sons

Wheel Nut:
I mentioned the F84 and this was posted on Philips page who is restoring an F86.

95bhp - 5 speed gearbox and Eaton 2 Speed Axle.

And the original again!

the first picture is from a book I have, which i posted on another thread, good to see it reposted there Malc.

It was not possible to top up oil from the cab ,only water , for comfort the F86 was like some thing from another planet , you could hear a radio or have a conversation ! , they could be as economical as any Gardner yet faster than a Mandator ! , three gallons of oil at service time, not six and a half gallon like a ■■■■■■■■ ! , for the first time ever was a truck make mentioned in a job advert such as driver wanted for Volvo truck at first only the F86 model was sold and the F88 was added later , LNL 465 E covered 800 miles every 24 hours and completed 1.8 million miles in service , the Boyes F86 has a chassis number just one lower than LNL and so was built just in front of it but was regestered just after for haulier and Volvo dealer Tait brothers ,it pulled tipper trailers and was a shunter before it was sold to Boyes, these were powerfull trucks after 150 Gardners or 180 ■■■■■■■■ ,£3000.00 for all that lorry , but £4200.00 for a Mandator ,no contest !

Wheel Nut:

GAZ70:
can any one tell me the reg plate of the first f86 in the counrty(uk),i’ve just had a look at a local firm’s website (g cross & sons northwich) and they claim to have had the first one,can any tell me if this is true :question: ,cheers .

This is the one that Volvo say was the first import and sold by Ailsa

This was definitely used as the Volvo promotional F86 in all the press adverts in the 1960s and was claimed by Volvo to be the first into service. Absolutely no doubt about that.

Dieseldog66:

Wheel Nut:
I mentioned the F84 and this was posted on Philips page who is restoring an F86.

95bhp - 5 speed gearbox and Eaton 2 Speed Axle.

And the original again!

the first picture is from a book I have, which i posted on another thread, good to see it reposted there Malc.

Hey Dieseldog, Could it be that the by you called F84 (4751) is a special for Britain built model is■■?
A down rated 4751 with the 465 engine without turbo (120hp).
Because we never had the F84 (maybe in Sweden too) yes the N84, but otherwise it was the F85/86.
But as the advertisement says it are the specification of a 465 but also never built as Tip Top.
F85/86 was the 4751/4851 with 110/125hp or turbo 120/150hp (in round figures).
In Sweden they called at the last minute the F86 a F87 to fill the gab to the F88, even there was a talk to call the first N12 an N89.
Never easy to compare from country to country in those days.

Cheers Eric,

The first F86 to appear on Preston Docks was bought by Rawcliffes from Out Mawdsley.Can"t remember the year ,around the late 60s maybe,remember everyone wanted to have a look at it.It was brought to Ulster Ferry on the docks by old man Rawcliffe,look at Rawcliffes today.

Hiya …london brick must have been a early user of 86,s they had scores of them with the metal grill.
there was a company called AM Walkers transport had plenty of long 8 wheeler 86,s tippers they did
coal into LBC and bricks out…i had a double driver (twin headlights)f86 tipper (APT248S) she was a
good lorry but quite worn when i got her for a 4 month contract, she was failing with cab tin worm
very bad at the end.
John

This is a L4751 made before system 8 and was like the later F85 (same model but not as F84 ) not sold in the UK , this was a test truck to see if it could be sold in the UK , but instead the F86 was chosen (a 36 or 40 ton model ) for the UK 30 ton market , formally the Viking L485 , the F87 was not completely the same as the final F86 , the 87 had more refinement , the London Brick Company had run their manys AECS for five years life ... but the F86 changed this to seven years ! at least ! much lower costs with the Volvos

lordgreene:
It is still my belief that our volvo reg VMB179E was the first one in England if not the UK it was registered
in March 1967 and yes I saw all the bumf in the motor transport and commercial motor about Hutchinson’s
being the first one.I was going to complain but never got around to it, as I recall Ailsa trucks confirmed ours
was the first but unfortunately at the time of the press release our vehicle had been written off and for convenience they used hutchinson’s for good press. Don’t believe everything the press says.

The straitened out chasis of ours is now with Keith Dickens who said he is going to rebuild it using a cab imported from south africa.

Peter Cross MD G Cross & sons

Hello peter can you recall how many f86’s you ran ?,also I recall a f88 at lostock was there only the one ?.