International express london

whats the tractor unit is it an f86

Yep ! an early F86 about '69 / '72

Simular to the one Bottom L and Bottom R

It looks more like something from the ‘Motor Panels’ range of cabs rather than the ‘bubble shape’ of the F86. Could be a GUY, Seddon or ERF European, also looks like a day cab so whoever was piloting it was one of the pioneers but whatever the tractor unit is, it is a bit hard to make out properly so I don’t know for sure. There are some things that make it look like a F86, like white lining on the grille surround but for some reason it doesn’t seem to have that luscious curvey shape and that massive space behind the seats that most gaffers insisted was a sleeper cab :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: It seemed good at the time after making yer bed across the seats, I fell for that yarn myself :blush: :blush: :blush:

There are a few other threads on the forum with pictures of drivers doing ‘Continental’ in the early days with day cabbed Atki’s, GUYs , Fodens, ERF’s & F86’s it must have been a real adventure for those guys!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: and I’m sure someone will have either been the driver or knew somebody who was on for them at the time. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Dave

Looks too rounded to be an ERF type day cab, I’ll try to download ,and blow the pic up.
And it certainly was an adventure, started in '69 with a Big J.

Bit fuzzy, but I’ll hang my hat an an early F86, check out the mirrors, door handle, wheel arch, roof headboard, and rear top of cab ! Compare to the pic’s of my old '86

If I’m wrong, I’ll buy you a pint !!!

An 86. No doubt about it.

Yes your right daz thats a f86 pre Lreg with the metal grill

Hi folks,

Even though the close up is fuzzy I can now see that it is an F86, just that the original post with the long shot made it look a bit different and knowing that lot of guys were doing the same work in the UK everyday, with the same day cabbed lorries, and lads were taking the same things, not just into Europe but a hell of a lot further!!!, as I have said must have been an incredible adventure for them and I’m sure some good mates were made and some good times had by all. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Respect to all who did it :wink: :wink:
Dave Penn;

I don’t think International Express had any of there own trucks or trailers, they didn’t in the 80’s when we used to do there work, but we did have a number of tilts with there name on, Forest Freight at Barking used to handle there london work, they also had someone in the Stratford LIFT doing it, in Birmingham it was Wares and Richard Ford. we used to go to Van Gend & Loos in Eindhoven or Pavan in Brusells for them. the truck in the top pic is an F86 before the put the matt black grill on them.