‘Fess up! Who was the joker last night

Yesterday I was on my way to my last drop along the A580 just before the M60 when the phone rang. It was the office saying don’t go to the last one because they can’t accept it until the morning. So I decided I might as well stop where I was in a crappy lay-by. To limit the rocking I fully opened both curtains on the prime mover and tied them back.
2.45am a knock on the cab and I’m thinking uh oh here we go but no, it was a pair of copers saying a lorry driver had reported a lorry in a lay-by on the A580 had had its curtains slashed and the driver had been gassed!!!
I thanked them for their concern and apologised for their wasted time but I was fine. They understood why the curtains were pulled back and left.

nomiS36:
Yesterday I was on my way to my last drop along the A580 just before the M60 when the phone rang. It was the office saying don’t go to the last one because they can’t accept it until the morning. So I decided I might as well stop where I was in a crappy lay-by. To limit the rocking I fully opened both curtains on the prime mover and tied them back.
2.45am a knock on the cab and I’m thinking uh oh here we go but no, it was a pair of copers saying a lorry driver had reported a lorry in a lay-by on the A580 had had its curtains slashed and the driver had been gassed!!!
I thanked them for their concern and apologised for their wasted time but I was fine. They understood why the curtains were pulled back and left.

Better safe than sorry [emoji6] but how will anybody determine that you‘ve been gased???Unless they see someone infiltrating things in your cab…

Yeah, I don’t know. Bit of a mystery the gassing bit.

Just be happy someone cares about your welfare.

Conspiracy theory time .

If the driver had had a couple of beers or wines before he went to sleep and plod smelled it , breathalysed him and found he was over what would have happened?

Seems like a way to smell breath tbh.

joe royal:
Conspiracy theory time .

If the driver had had a couple of beers or wines before he went to sleep and plod smelled it , breathalysed him and found he was over what would have happened?

Nope. Why would police want to go looking for it?

What did you have on for your last drop ? Guess you weren’t afraid of anyone stealing it.

PS, hope you weren’t on break when you opened them curtains :wink:

remy:
What did you have on for your last drop ? Guess you weren’t afraid of anyone stealing it.

Knowing who nomis36 works for I think I can say even fully loaded and with the curtains open the load would still be there in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

remy:

Knowing who nomis36 works for I think I can say even fully loaded and with the curtains open the load would still be there in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oh, intriguing :confused:

remy:

What I carry is totally worthless to anybody except the end user. We make moulded stone stuff like window sills which are made to spec’ for mainly new build houses. Even if they did want to steal it they’d have a job…it’s bloody heavy!

nomiS36:

remy:

What I carry is totally worthless to anybody except the end user. We make moulded stone stuff like window sills which are made to spec’ for mainly new build houses. Even if they did want to steal it they’d have a job…it’s bloody heavy!

Ok, thanks for the info.

Think yourself lucky it was the police knocking on your door, if you were parked in the westbound lay-by just before Haydock junction it could have been a stranger looking to inspect your back doors, it’s well known by locals as meeting point for like minded men to go foraging for nuts in the near by wooded area… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :grimacing:

All the pale coloured stuff on this low rent place is all stuff made at our place. Don’t think it would look right on one of those gypsy spec ‘LHD’ massive caravans you see parked illegally here and there [emoji23]

Norfolkinclue1:
Think yourself lucky it was the police knocking on your door, if you were parked in the westbound lay-by just before Haydock junction it could have been a stranger looking to inspect your back doors, it’s well known by locals as meeting point for like minded men to go foraging for nuts in the near by wooded area… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Hmmmm.
I wonder if this policeman who came knocking was a UK one or a Highway Patrol type?
Were a native American Indian and a construction worker waiting nearby?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Lumberjack, don’t forget the lumberjack :smiley:

when i was on curtains and was empty and was parked anywhere the curtains were opened and tied back, saved the night time shoppers the hassle of cutting a hole to have a look

Another theory …

Maybe it was potential thieves checking out response times of the local Rozzers, with a view to commiting thievery at a later time on a different vehicle

joe royal:
Conspiracy theory time .

The plod have a set of ‘tests’.
1, the attitude test.
2. Are the keys in the ignition? (put them on the dash, not in the ignition. Make a show of putting them in the ignition to wind your window down)
3. Is the driver in the driving seat?
4. Is it likely the driver is about to drive away? (If they’ve just woken you up, you’ll be in the drivers seat because thats the door they knocked on, but not likely to drive away)
5. How much has the driver had to drink? (A beer or two, not likely to be a problem, likely to be over the breathe test after your rest could be a problem)
Doing ok with their tests, you probably won’t even be breathalysed unless you really stink of alcohol.
Fail the attitude test, you will probably need to be more convincing in your answers to any other questions they might put to you.

Having a drink with your dinner in a camper van is exactly the same btw, both are constructed with sleeping arrangements for the driver.
Having a drink and sleeping in your car is NOT the same. A car isn’t constructed with sleeping arrangements, unless it’s been modified properly.

Simon:

joe royal:
Conspiracy theory time .

1, the attitude test.
2. Are the keys in the ignition? (put them on the dash, not in the ignition. Make a show of putting them in the ignition to wind your window down)
4. Is it likely the driver is about to drive away? (If they’ve just woken you up, you’ll be in the drivers seat because thats the door they knocked on, but not likely to drive away)
5. How much has the driver had to drink? (A beer or two, not likely to be a problem, likely to be over the breathe test after your rest could be a problem)
Doing ok with their tests, you probably won’t even be breathalysed unless you really stink of alcohol.
Fail the attitude test, you will probably need to be more convincing in your answers to any other questions they might put to you.

Having a drink with your dinner in a camper van is exactly the same btw, both are constructed with sleeping arrangements for the driver.
Having a drink and sleeping in your car is NOT the same. A car isn’t constructed with sleeping arrangements, unless it’s been modified properly.

Had this happen to me up the Isle Of Mull last year. I went over on the ferry from Oban Wednesday and parked up for a Thursday morning tip with Shop fittings at Tobermory then stay up there until the shop had been stripped out on Sunday to bring the returns back so I parked the truck up and decided to ■■■■ off over to Glasgow for the Thursday night and come back the day after where I went and got ■■■■■■ in the Mishnish pub in Tobermory on the Friday night then take a curry back to my truck. The local Bobby woman was patrolling the area and saw me walk back to my truck in the harbour car park and drove down to me and before she could say anything I told her I wasn’t going to be driving the truck as I wasn’t moving till Sunday morning to load up, I was just having my curry then going to bed which she said was ok.
I jumped into the drivers seat and decided to just start the truck up and let it tick over to let the battery juice back up and she came back down to me in the car and said she could do me for being drunk in charge of a vehicle and I should sit in the passenger seat, eat my curry with the keys out of the ignition then go stright to bed otherwise I’d be nicked and warned me she’d be bobbing back regular to make sure.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Simon:

joe royal:
Conspiracy theory time .

1, the attitude test.

Had this happen to me up the Isle Of Mull last year. I went over on the ferry from Oban Wednesday and parked up for a Thursday morning tip with Shop fittings at Tobermory then stay up there until the shop had been stripped out on Sunday to bring the returns back so I parked the truck up and decided to ■■■■ off over to Glasgow for the Thursday night and come back the day after where I went and got ■■■■■■ in the Mishnish pub in Tobermory on the Friday night then take a curry back to my truck. The local Bobby woman was patrolling the area and saw me walk back to my truck in the harbour car park and drove down to me and before she could say anything I told her I wasn’t going to be driving the truck as I wasn’t moving till Sunday morning to load up, I was just having my curry then going to bed which she said was ok.
I jumped into the drivers seat and decided to just start the truck up and let it tick over to let the battery juice back up and she came back down to me in the car and said she could do me for being drunk in charge of a vehicle and I should sit in the passenger seat, eat my curry with the keys out of the ignition then go stright to bed otherwise I’d be nicked and warned me she’d be bobbing back regular to make sure.

Sounds like a rarity for today, …a sensible old style copper using a bit of common sense and discretion.
I reckon if you’re on your bunk with a few pints on board with your tacho on daily rest, it’s obvious and.a reasonable assumption you don’t intend to go anywhere anytime soon.
But… sat in the driver’s seat with engine revving, you’ve been lucky she was a decent copper tbh mate, you know what some of the ■■■■ s are like today, any excuse to nick you. :imp: