Feeling abandoned (furlough) any one else

First week I’ve had txts requesting extra shifts as depot very busy weekend apparently since covid started , planner asking the same , are you working sat ? Even though I’ve put down rest x2 , not working as 70 hrs & 4 nights out are enough , work not dropped off at all since covid started .
I wouldn’t be getting upset about being fourloged , I’d be joining in with the neighbours all day ■■■■ ups !!! ■■■■■■■ really ■■■■■■ me off !!!

R420:

Gavv8:
The large company I work for has now announced 100 redundancies, 11 of which are drivers on overnight pallets/ day shift.
I’ve been furloughed for three weeks so I’ll be going back on Wednesday to redundancy negotiations

Green, red and white trucks? Might be pure coincidence but chatting with the transport planner of our neighbouring haulage co over a cig break yesterday, he said they were expecting to have to lay off around 100 drivers once furlough ends and they are part of a pallet network too. Most of their fleet has been parked up since the end of March.

I don’t think people realise what’s coming down the pipes. Pretty much everyone I know and speak to thinks once it “blows over” we’ll be “back to normal” again and they’re not in the least bit concerned about their job, despite many of them being in retail, leisure, entertainment and hospitality industries which are hardest hit.

Drivers should take a look at indeed.co.uk and search for hgv work in their area. Remove the fake book-padding non-existent agency ads and see how much permie jobs are advertised. You can count them on one hand, and that’s if there’s any vacancies at all. How do you fancy your chances competing with a few hundred other drivers for the same single vacancy? :bulb:

I used to think that it would be rough, now I think it will just be rough “for some”, reason being us that when I got called back to work I was expecting things to tick along but its been absolutely manic. Like Christmas plus. We are sending 20 DDs to pallet hubs each night because we can’t handke the volume, usually in normal times it was six or seven. Even working this morning which hasn’t happened since March.

Mund you my lot gave fingers in many pies so if one drops something else is there to fill it. Biggest one is garden supplies atm. And speaking to them its staying like this for a while as garden centres reopen, then they always go mad from July/August with Christmas stock rolling out.

So in short yeah I can see jobs being lost, but not in the scale I once thought.

blue estate:
Well I’ve been furloughed now 8 weeks and it seems all the golden balls are now back ,
But me and the rest of us who don’t ■■■■ up are still on furlough some 9 weeks

Same here all the brown nosing yes men are in ,we were told rotation after three weeks,never happened.
What I dont understand is why are they using subbies to cover contracts while the government is paying for company drivers to sit at home.
Is that even legal?
I cant say im not enjoying the time off,far from it,it just doesn’t seem right.

:laughing: :laughing:
■■■■ me man, I really do not get this thread.
Guys on 80 to 100% wages whilst sat at home to do whatever tf they want except drive a ■■■■ truck,.and they’re complaining.
So the ‘‘Brown nosers’’ are somehow priveliged :open_mouth: to be out there grafting while you lads are at home pursuing hobbies, starting new ones, getting jobs done,.or sat in the garden with a cold beer, and generally spending a bit of time with your families for a change.

I fully get it if lads are hard up and that 20% is a big miss as a necessity, I also get it if there is a chance of redundancy after all this, but just wanting to get back because you ‘’ Don’t feel right about it’’ ? …Jeeez H. :laughing: :laughing:

I have never been work shy, I started part time work while in last years of school,.and have never stopped working since then all my adult life…BUT I keep work in perspective. :bulb:
It’s a necessity rather than a choice, if you enjoy the type of work…well that is a bonus, but I would be out of it like a shot if finances allowed me to do so.

The old Feudal System is still alive well and thriving.
Work life is there, firstly set by the upper classes who do not work, (they don’t need to, more sense)

The upper middle classes have non job high salary jobs (eg Bair…ambassador to the Middle East/Milliband spokesman for the Wold Health org…btw wtf is that all about?? :unamused: )
The middle class employ the working class.

Then we have us the plebs, just above the work shy underclass, who HAVE to do proper jobs to live and survive…and support the underclass. :imp:

So you are getting a break from all this haulage ■■■■…■■■■ make good of it!!

As for the ‘brown nosers’, I’d say more ‘clowns’ who are happy to be ■■■■ ed about, but while you lot are off.
Then the likes of me …the reluctant ones, who see things for what they really are, but have had to start back in work, but would really prefer to be where you lot are.

■■■■ unbelievable. :unamused: , no pleasing some. :unamused:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just a by the way here.

Some of us never had the chance of furlough, nice though it would have been in theory at least, history (written by the winners or whoever is in charge :bulb: ) if it’s written truthfully may well judge the whole house arrest and taxpayer funded furlough scheme a ridiculous overreaction, a huge mistake for what may prove in time basically to be an annual flu episode, though the reasons why they used this excuse to finally wreck our economy are not yet clear and may never be truthfully told, the cost for the country for this will far outweigh the benefits, for many the results will be their personal economies are damaged beyond repair.
As Trump said weeks ago, the cure being worse than the disease.

However back to the point, because i/we carried on working as part of the food chain doesn’t mean we are brown nosers, unless doing the best job you can and taking a bit of pride in your work these days means you are a brown noser, in which case guilty as charged.

I also don’t get why those being called back into work are automatically brown nosing either, presumably the company have called people back in who are the most reliable/productive/economical workers they have or maybe their particular speciality is of the most benefit to the company at the time, maybe those called back in are more likely to be retained permanently, assuming the company can keep trading.

bobbya:

blue estate:
Well I’ve been furloughed now 8 weeks and it seems all the golden balls are now back ,
But me and the rest of us who don’t ■■■■ up are still on furlough some 9 weeks

Same here all the brown nosing yes men are in ,we were told rotation after three weeks,never happened.
What I dont understand is why are they using subbies to cover contracts while the government is paying for company drivers to sit at home.
Is that even legal?
I cant say im not enjoying the time off,far from it,it just doesn’t seem right.

If the companys own drivers were all back, then the subbies working there wouldnt have work, would they?
I dont think there is any overall gain in work. Maybe it is better to have subbies working as and when required, if there isnt enough work, rather than have full timers sitting around some of the time costing money?
Furloughing is a long way from perfect, lots of anomalies are becoming apparent, but it is probably better having this less than perfect system, brought in quickly, rather than nowt.

I too dont get why some are so keen to get back to work if the furlough scheme is providing them with enough income to live on, the decision why their bosses are choosing to recall certain drivers over others, or us subbies isnt something they should worry about.
Simply chill out and fill the time off appropriately, maybe reflect on and reprioritise your goals in life, the summer is a good time to do this as you can get out and avoid the cabin fever.

Btw, has anyone else noticed someone has un-flounced and returned to the forum? :wink:

Juddian:
Just a by the way here.

Some of us never had the chance of furlough, nice though it would have been in theory at least, history (written by the winners or whoever is in charge :bulb: ) if it’s written truthfully may well judge the whole house arrest and taxpayer funded furlough scheme a ridiculous overreaction, a huge mistake for what may prove in time basically to be an annual flu episode, though the reasons why they used this excuse to finally wreck our economy are not yet clear and may never be truthfully told, the cost for the country for this will far outweigh the benefits, for many the results will be their personal economies are damaged beyond repair.
As Trump said weeks ago, the cure being worse than the disease.

However back to the point, because i/we carried on working as part of the food chain doesn’t mean we are brown nosers, unless doing the best job you can and taking a bit of pride in your work these days means you are a brown noser, in which case guilty as charged.

I also don’t get why those being called back into work are automatically brown nosing either, presumably the company have called people back in who are the most reliable/productive/economical workers they have or maybe their particular speciality is of the most benefit to the company at the time, maybe those called back in are more likely to be retained permanently, assuming the company can keep trading.

Juddian , because most of the ones that stayed or were called back are the company brown nose’s and mega moaners and golden boys :imp:
only 3 have special skills all the rest are just drivers :imp:

Juddian:
maybe those called back in are more likely to be retained permanently, assuming the company can keep trading.

This is probably,what’s worrying those still on furlough.
Quite understandable…really

commonrail:

Juddian:
maybe those called back in are more likely to be retained permanently, assuming the company can keep trading.

The ones that have gone back or stayed working are
1 new guy who’s long term mates with TM and used to work for another firm who shut up in jan
our resident flip flop
1 has he’s hiab and DPW as well
1 has FLT licence and DPW cert as well
1 HV test trained with cable firm
then 5 weeks ago 1 other went back who had DP world cert
4 weeks ago another who had Hiab
latest one is the company job carve upper , if a run is 2 days he will try to do it in one then get back next day to run again straight away

blue estate:
1 new guy who’s long term mates with TM

Really?
I reckon if I was the TM, and that guy was MY mate, I’d have HIM on furlough, BECAUSE he was my mate, and you working, (if that’s what you wanted.)
(Not being arsey towards you here btw mate :wink: :smiley: , just making a point.)

blue estate:

commonrail:

Juddian:

1 new guy who’s long term mates with TM and used to work for another firm who shut up in jan
our resident flip flop
latest one is the company job carve upper , if a run is 2 days he will try to do it in one then get back next day to run again straight away

As they say cream rises.

robroy:

blue estate:

Really?
I reckon if I was the TM, and that guy was MY mate, I’d have HIM on furlough, BECAUSE he was my mate, and you working, (if that’s what you wanted.)
(Not being arsey towards you here btw mate :wink: :smiley: , just making a point.)

What makes me laugh the most Rob is that the boss paid for my class 1 and my 3 year retainer is not up till November so ultimately it’s he’s money he’s wasting

blue estate:

robroy:

blue estate:

Really?

What makes me laugh the most Rob is that the boss paid for my class 1 and my 3 year retainer is not up till November so ultimately it’s he’s money he’s wasting

Maybe he just prefers the other drivers to you, I mean there you are on furlough getting 80% of your wages paid by the tax payer and you’re actually whining about it. Maybe ■■■■■■■■ about fellow drivers doesn’t go down too well either [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

blue estate:

robroy:

blue estate:

Really?

Maybe he just prefers the other drivers to you, I mean there you are on furlough getting 80% of your wages paid by the tax payer and you’re actually whining about it. Maybe ■■■■■■■■ about fellow drivers doesn’t go down too well either [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

:laughing: :laughing: :unamused: more the other way round , if you moan and ■■■■■ to office about amount of work you’re not getting you get more , yet if you keep quiet , get on with your work and give the office an easy life you get F all

If you want to work that much volunteer to drive for say home deliveries. Dont take a wage as your getting paid anyway. Or is it the being saluted as you leave the yard in the mornin you miss and serneaded when you get back in at night?

Just buy your burgers and baps and enjoy the sun. I havent had a day off at all since lockdown.

I dont envy the furlough peeps but i wouldnt mind being in that situation. Free money?

cgscott:
Free money?

Until taxes rise to repay it all, yeah.

Juddian:

Agreed. Those called back in to work as the ones seen as being assets to the company and would want to retain them. Those left on furlough are useless ones and troublecausers who are first in line when the inevitable redundancies are announced.

Edit: should have read post properly to start with.

blue estate:

commonrail:

Juddian:

our resident flip flop

We all have them in every firm,ruin the job.

dave docwra:

blue estate:

commonrail:

Juddian:

our resident flip flop

As they say cream rises.

Yea, rubbish floats.