Fanfare for the Commer man!

I`ve had this excellant book on the TS3 since was a young Mechanic and was always facinated by the opposed piston arrangements , and they really did go I only ever managed to drive one but my it was noisey , there was a scare however that the govenor would malfunction and allow it to rev to infinity , a fitter told me if your quick enough and cut the fuel lines it could be saved from blowing , maybe he was trying to scare me a little.
Frenchy

I see my pics didn’t come out but it seems from the text that the TS4 was shelved when Chrysler took over, what an engine that would have been.

There is a TS4 engine in the Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland. At first it looks just like a TS3 until you look a little closer at it. Did a bit of work on them in the '60’s but when I worked at the Derbyshire quarries in the '70’s they were very popular with the 4 wheeler owner drivers (excellent on fuel, 19+ mpg) until the Clydesdale’s came along to replace them when they were life expired!

Pete.

Anonymous:
i got the idea he was hard work dave pretty quick! he loved mauling the knackers off the drivers no doubt! :laughing: that would have been around 83 i think dave, i dont know anything about graham sorry, as for the firm, i know there was a coopers that had a yard that got closed for the m54 construction, that firm became k transport, if it’s the same coopers, i dont know!.

Did Coopers have some motors on contract to a steel firm called J.B.and S.Lees,they made a lot of strip coil and sheet.
They were a regular sight on the A38.

Chris Webb:

Anonymous:
i got the idea he was hard work dave pretty quick! he loved mauling the knackers off the drivers no doubt! :laughing: that would have been around 83 i think dave, i dont know anything about graham sorry, as for the firm, i know there was a coopers that had a yard that got closed for the m54 construction, that firm became k transport, if it’s the same coopers, i dont know!.

Did Coopers have some motors on contract to a steel firm called J.B.and S.Lees,they made a lot of strip coil and sheet.

Not sure Chris, but it is quite possible, he did have a lot of customers in the Birmingham metals business, but wasn’t Lees a Derby firm?

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

Anonymous:

Not sure Chris, but it is quite possible, he did have a lot of customers in the Birmingham metals business, but wasn’t Lees a Derby firm?

No David,J.B. and S Lees were from West Brom IIRC or in that area. Are you thinking of Ley’s in Derby,of “Ley’s Malleable Castings” fame? Mickleover Transport did all their haulage I think.

Chris Webb:
[
No David,J.B. and S Lees were from West Brom IIRC or in that area. Are you thinking of Ley’s in Derby,of “Ley’s Malleable Castings” fame? Mickleover Transport did all their haulage I think.

Of course, you are quite right Chris, you ain’t as old as you look are you? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think you are on the right track with that. Leys Malleable Castings was taken over by Georg Fischer in Lincoln. I used to go to the North Hykeham site.

Sir Francis Ley built his foundry on the original site of the RAMS when it was the baseball ground. There were several foundries in Derby, the largest of these being Leys Malleable Castings and Qualcast.

Sir Francis Ley business park is still there at the top of Osmaston Road

Spardo:

Chris Webb:
[

Of course, you are quite right Chris, you ain’t as old as you look are you? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe not David,but I get dafter. I must be getting uglier as well as I came out of hospital Xmas night after an operation and a couple of so-called mates of mine asked why I hadn’t had my face lifted while in hospital. They said there was a JCB parked up that would have done a reasonable job!! :frowning:

With friends like that who needs enemies? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I think you are on the right track with that. Leys Malleable Castings was taken over by Georg Fischer in Lincoln. I used to go to the North Hykeham site.

Sir Francis Ley built his foundry on the original site of the RAMS when it was the baseball ground. There were several foundries in Derby, the largest of these being Leys Malleable Castings and Qualcast.

Qualcast had a works in Smethwick as well Malc. Originally it was Birmid then Birmid Qualcast.Their chimney chucked some good old s*** out along with a load of others in that area. :laughing:

I like the " Sir Nigel Gresley " nameplate. Seen that loco regular in my youth as a trainspotter…then totty took over :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Wheel Nut:

Qualcast had a works in Smethwick as well Malc. Originally it was Birmid then Birmid Qualcast.Their chimney chucked some good old s*** out along with a load of others in that area. :laughing:

I like the " Sir Nigel Gresley " nameplate. Seen that loco regular in my youth as a trainspotter…then totty took over :laughing:

What goes around comes around. You have the tie up with Birmid correct, and the Qualcast history makes interesting reading. Suffolk Lawnmowers who made the Colt and Punch were taken over by Qualcast,

Atco, Suffolk and Qualcast History

As for Sir Nigel Gresley Totty and Steam railways. I took the kids on the Great Central Railway last week and I can reignite my interest in Steam again :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:

Wheel Nut:

What goes around comes around. You have the tie up with Birmid correct, and the Qualcast history makes interesting reading. Suffolk Lawnmowers who made the Colt and Punch were taken over by Qualcast,

Atco, Suffolk and Qualcast History

As for Sir Nigel Gresley Totty and Steam railways. I took the kids on the Great Central Railway last week and I can reignite my interest in Steam again :stuck_out_tongue:

The new A1 class 60163 “Tornado” was down on trial at the Great Central a few weeks ago. I’d like to see her. :sunglasses: