Expenses for nights on Agency work

so can you claim food expenses and washing work clothes if you are full time employed on paye ( not throught agency)?

mac12:
tax office has just called me and said i cannot claim mileage while working for agency,think i may send form p87 in anyway and see what happens

mac.
When I called HMRC , they said that I could, when I explained what work I did.
Do you work (through your agency) for one, or a variety of companies - i.e 1 week with lets say Tesco the next with Asda , then 2 days with bloggs transport then 3 days with smith freight etc.etc. If its the latter then you are entitled.
Go to the HMRC.gov.uk website, search for “forms” then put in P87, follow the links, it explains everything, the mileage rate, claiming for PPE, food allowance. Worth a try.

peirre:
As for claiming the cost of digi card & medicals, I suspect you can`t claim those

It’s always worth checking the HMRC website for the tax treatment of certain expenses whether you are employed or self-employed.

EIM66195 — Tax treatment of lorry drivers: purchase of digital tachograph cards - Digicard and photos tax-deductible.
EIM66190 - Tax treatment of lorry drivers: issue or renewal of HGV/LGV licences - Cost of licence renewal and medical is tax-deductible.
There are many more pages like it on the HMRC website.

A simple test is this: Is it wholly, exclusively and necessary for employment/business use?

i work though agency just for sainsburys on paye,but how can they say its permanent when i have only done 7 days since xmas.

mac12:
i work though agency just for sainsburys on paye,but how can they say its permanent when i have only done 7 days since xmas.

This is quoted from the first page of form P87

“Business mileage is the number of miles you have travelled while actually doing your work or spent travelling to a temporary workplace. You cannot get tax relief for travel between home and a permanent workplace as business miles”

So you have answered your question, from what you have said. You are not permanently at Sainsbury’s, if the work had been there, the agency could’ve sent you to another client on the other days.
Who pays your wages the agency or Sainsbury’s ? Only asked this because of how you worded your comments about paye.

the agency pays me,but i only work at 1 place

Mac
IMO your entitled to P87 expenses

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere in the HMRC website, concerning temporary expenses, that if you are not at one place for 3 months or more continually, it isn’t considered permanent, but don’t quote me on it. I’m sure someone will either confirm or thow my comment in the bin for me.