Claiming Costs As An Agency Driver

Can anyone please tell me as an ‘Agency Driver’, with no permanent place of work, can I claim for travel to and from the location of each day’s work. Can I also claim for any costs that I have to specifically incur to do my job, so that would be PPE, (boots, work clothes, hard hats, gloves) etc.
Can I claim the cost of any courses I have invested in to do my job too, so that includes Driver CPC, ADR courses, any forklift and HIAB qualifications etc, etc.
I am looking at this as both a self employed driver & also ‘on the books’ (Employed).
Where there may also be some kind of tax incentive.

Thanking anyone in anticipation, for your help with this matter.

if you’re on the books, then your employer should supply ppe. if you’re self employed, then you simply fill in a tax return.
if you’re employed by a tight arse, then you’ll need form p87 from the inland revenue.

hello colin, welcome to the forum, there are lots of threads on here discussing this topic, may i suggest you try the search function button located at the top on the main page (not in this thread)

It all depends on the agency I think, I know I can claim up to £40 on fuel over the week to get me to and from work but I need to show them the VAT and it must go in on the Sunday night prior to starting on the Monday. They also pay for any PPE I need.

You must not spend more than 40% of your working time out of the same depot. Having 3+ clients that you’ll rotate working for via the same agency should be enough to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Keep your fuel receipts when filling your car, and if the agency themselves don’t work out your mileage, then you can do it yourself using AA routemaster of something similar.

Paradigm is Claimable Mileage=((Your home postcode to Temporary Depot of Work) - (Your home Postcode to Agency HQ))

You can claim meal expenses of upto £15 per night for odd shifts, or £10 per night for regular ones. I only get offset this when on a shift of ten hours or more, finishing after 8pm. Receipts are not usually requested for meals out, but you are not supposed to have a packed lunch if you claim this expense. :sunglasses:

Hey, thanks for the answers so far I have only been listening to hearsay as they call it.
I’ve just come back on for a look but I will have a search round for some of the other stuff.
I’m new to all this stuff but hopefully I will get there eventually.
Thanks again.