Eu drivers parking on hard shoulder of m1

It’s radically different from driving in UK in my opinion, that’s why many of us enjoy it so much. Saying its not free if on a toll road is splitting hairs somewhat if you’re using the toll road anyway. Tho there are a fair few toll free motorways in France too, especially down the middle. Sudden your horizons old Chap, you make actually begin to enjoy it :wink: Have a lovely evening

switchlogic:

Jingle Jon:
Rob,

Haven’t read your post. Not interested. You need attention - not getting it here . This thread is not about you. Go away.

To be fair you sort of made it about him when you launched him into it with a personal attack. Both of you pull yourselves together and pay nice

I would naturally disagree. He constantly launches into newcomers telling them what they shouldn’t be talking about. My post to the OP was moral support for the OP. Admittedly I could have predicted his ranting.

switchlogic:

Jingle Jon:
I’ve driven all over the EU, for many years and I’ve yet to see this Utopia of free truck-stops and massive FREE lay-bys all over the place…

This quote makes it sound like you’ve never even been to Europe…how on earth did you not notice the amount of free rest areas?! They’re everywhere not to mention the full services which are also free to park in. I’m on my way to Italy and one over the channel parking requires no thought at all, I’ll drive until I’m 20 minutes off my max for that day and dive in first free rest areas. It’s great

Now obviously I have not driven in Europe since 2000 but the very last trip in Europe for me involved driving from Calais to Paderbourne in Germany, I think I found only 2 real truck stops and about 4 decent service areas on that trip.

switchlogic:
It’s radically different from driving in UK in my opinion, that’s why many of us enjoy it so much. Saying its not free if on a toll road is splitting hairs somewhat if you’re using the toll road anyway. Tho there are a fair few toll free motorways in France too, especially down the middle. Sudden your horizons old Chap, you make actually begin to enjoy it :wink: Have a lovely evening

Depends where ya go.

The gloss wears off eventually.

Did it for quite a while & although I’d enjoy the odd trip… wouldn’t want to be away that long anymore. Tarmac is tarmac :slight_smile:

Jingle Jon:
And the only reason needed to get it sorted. Without doubt infrastructure needed. It’s a while back now since I read a report - but seem to remember most if not all the services chains were making huge losses… so it’s difficult to imagine anyone investing in more.

Tis something the gubbermint could do though… especially considering transport’s contributions to the economy.

This was happening over here, the eventually some states got wise to the problems and have actively started increasing the parking areas for trucks by 4 or 5 times the size and dropping parking charges, CT, NY and PA have really got the ball rolling and are now raking in profits from us because every space is taken at night, it’s a vast improvement, I would of avoided such places in the past but in the case of CT I will head to park on a service area on I-95 when I can even though there are several proper truck stops along that route.
The UK and European traffic groups need to step up and expand facilities and free parking areas, also supply decent food etc.

switchlogic:

Aside from the technicality of wether the toll road services are ‘free’,they’re a nice big flat space of clean smooth tarmac. Not a worn out rat-infested hole like Clacketts :smiley:

Jingle Jon:

switchlogic:

Jingle Jon:
Rob,

Haven’t read your post. Not interested. You need attention - not getting it here . This thread is not about you. Go away.

To be fair you sort of made it about him when you launched him into it with a personal attack. Both of you pull yourselves together and pay nice

I would naturally disagree. He constantly launches into newcomers telling them what they shouldn’t be talking about. My post to the OP was moral support for the OP. Admittedly I could have predicted his ranting.

Epic fail Jon tut tut :unamused:
The o/p joined 2008,/ 250+ posts, hardly a ‘newcomer’ so stop making excuses for your unnatural obsession with me (even on the "Burger’’ thread I see…which I have not even contributed to ffs !! :open_mouth: ) by trying to make out you are some moral crusader for new members. :unamused:
Fact is you instigate these situations by personal attacks again and again, the evidence is there on the forum for all to see, so stop making ■■■■ excuses for your inadequacies.

You stop ‘‘prodding the bear’’ , and I’ll stop answering and addressing it…simple to understand (even for you. :unamused:)

Pat Hasler:

switchlogic:

Jingle Jon:
I’ve driven all over the EU, for many years and I’ve yet to see this Utopia of free truck-stops and massive FREE lay-bys all over the place…

This quote makes it sound like you’ve never even been to Europe…how on earth did you not notice the amount of free rest areas?! They’re everywhere not to mention the full services which are also free to park in. I’m on my way to Italy and one over the channel parking requires no thought at all, I’ll drive until I’m 20 minutes off my max for that day and dive in first free rest areas. It’s great

Now obviously I have not driven in Europe since 2000 but the very last trip in Europe for me involved driving from Calais to Paderbourne in Germany, I think I found only 2 real truck stops and about 4 decent service areas on that trip.

It’s no different to here imo, food is marginally better at a small number of services in France, now we have Costa Coffees all over the place - coffee’s no better, that used to be a notable difference.

Belgium services are chronic, sausage rolls or crap sarnies. The point I keep making that some appear to be missing is the comparison between continental Europe & uk… not having it, if people think it’s free parking on the Peage then they are not getting it… it’s part of the bill… still have to pay for food etc & in some cases even to take a ■■■■ is a Euro. If people like chicken sandwiches in a soggy baguette, wrapped in plastic and obv knocked up at the sarnie factory, machine soup or pay through the nose then they’ll be French heaven. And agree with your other comment on developments - needs to be got on with… can’t see happening it myself… the industry here has no backbone.

My God, you have to pay for food?! Rip off merchants those foreigns

Dear Rob,

It’s not you, it’s me. I’m just not feeling it anymore.

I wanted to tell you before, but… well it was all going to come out eventually.

I’m seeing someone else.

I’ve stopped reading your love letters. You have to understand, there’s no chance of us getting back together.

Best wishes.
Jon

switchlogic:

That’s out of context and should be taken in the round with my other posts on this subject. Which are there if you wish to read them.

Jingle Jon:

switchlogic:

That’s out of context and should be taken in the round with my other posts on this subject. Which are there if you wish to read them.

You make Carryfast look laid back. It was a joke, laugh sometimes, it’s good for you :wink:

switchlogic:

Jingle Jon:

switchlogic:

You make Carryfast look laid back. It was a joke, laugh sometimes, it’s good for you :wink:

Does Peter Kay’s agent know about you’re talent?

Edited to add… please stop… it’s hurting (laughed smiling thing)

Ps… I’m having problems posting with smilies… always returns a server error when on mi phone

Jingle Jon:
Dear Rob,

It’s not you, it’s me. I’m just not feeling it anymore.

I wanted to tell you before, but… well it was all going to come out eventually.

I’m seeing someone else.

I’ve stopped reading your love letters. You have to understand, there’s no chance of us getting back together.

Best wishes.
Jon

I’ll try my best to get over it, but it will be difficult.
Update …over it.

Jingle Jon:

switchlogic:

Jingle Jon:

switchlogic:

Does Peter Kay’s agent know about you’re talent?

*Your :wink:

switchlogic:
*Your :wink:

Can’t post smilies on mi phone… just returns an error message. With the exception of a smile if it txt it in. :slight_smile:

whilst I have driven over the water , most of it was in vans so truck parking free or paid wasn’t a issue for me . as regards food ,I never had a problem (but then I eat just about anything) . toilets ? yes had to pay but ! they were clean and didn’t reek to high heaven ,and you used your receipt to offset the cost of your meal. showers again were to pay for but again they were clean. as regards the argument that paying tolls negates the free parking , do we not pay v.e.d.■■ which seems an awful lot like a toll to me .

syramax:
whilst I have driven over the water , most of it was in vans so truck parking free or paid wasn’t a issue for me . as regards food ,I never had a problem (but then I eat just about anything) . toilets ? yes had to pay but ! they were clean and didn’t reek to high heaven ,and you used your receipt to offset the cost of your meal. showers again were to pay for but again they were clean. as regards the argument that paying tolls negates the free parking , do we not pay v.e.d.■■ which seems an awful lot like a toll to me .

Road tax is also payable in countries with tolls. It’s a bit like choosing between slow or quicker in many cases.

And in Germany you don’t necessarily get to choose your route.

So yes, some Services are free & crap, but you’ve had to pay to travel through Germany and the German auth decide which way you go. Not dissimilar in Belgium nowadays although less dictatorial on the route… vignette

thunder367:
for the my grammer sorry but i failed it at school
i was asking ur opion thats all and no i would never park on hard shoulder at all way to dangerous even if the police say it be ok to after a serious accident that had keeped me there all day id rather run somewhere to be safe

Just noticed your post mate…hidden between all the crap. :unamused:
I asked if you would park on the hard shoulder to see why you objected to others doing so.
It’s just that personally I get a bit sick of people ‘objecting’ , ‘being offended’’ or disapproving’ of things that do not directly involve them, that’s all.

As for your grammar mate, don’t worry a ■■■■ about it, nobody else does. There are one or two self professed geniusses on here :unamused: as you have maybe noticed, that spout crap, so just keep posting mate, at least you make valid points…even if I don’t agree with them. :laughing:

I drive to Poland on a regular basis only in a car mind you but regarding rest areas and services in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany they are always spot on.

I know if I need to stop i can use a clean toilet even though i may have to pay and plenty of grass land to walk the dog. Just to point out i also see plenty of hgv and caravan parking.