ERF LHD 5MW (European)

CKD kits ready for export ! CKD stands for “completely knocked down”.

newerf522.PNG

This is a picture of CDB in Brussels putting one together.

newerf536 cdb assembly brussels.PNG

An article about CKD.(Click on it twice to read.)

:laughing: :laughing: double-posted: see below! Robert

You could probably make a good book out of Pat Kennett’s ‘Looking Back’ column in that old magazine! I used to read them regularly and learned much from them. Robert

A foreign advert and page from brochure.

Chapman and Ball’s 5MW did the Middle-East run. These were posted on an old thread called Tahir Part 2, by ‘Hoppy’. Robert

1426326_close.jpg

Earls Court Motor Show 1968

moomooland:
0 Earls Court Motor Show 1968

That looks like part of a large consignment of ERF 4MW 6x4 units that went out to Jordan Phosphates in 1968. It’s a good picture, Moomooland, so I’ll pop it on the LHD ERF 4MW thread and when it comes up you’ll be able to see more of its history. Cheers, Robert

This scan was sent to me recently - a rather fine picture of Partrick’s LHD 5MW taken apparently in Plymouth by Dave Lee. Robert

NTK 310 how strange.Turbocharged 743 at high horsepower.Never even seen one at that rating.Non piston cooled I think.

railstaff:
NTK 310 how strange.Turbocharged 743 at high horsepower.Never even seen one at that rating.Non piston cooled I think.

That’s a lot for a 12 litre engine in 1968. How about 850lbft torque? The vehicle predated the Volvo F89 by about 2 years. ERF made a big mistake not pushing such vehicles hard in the UK market, IMO.

railstaff:

Oh no! I think that one had a Rolls Royce 220 in it. Mind you, I have to say that seems strange as it is an R-reg (so 1997/8) and being a LHD on long-haul European work (I believe it did Portugal) I would have thought that a RR 280 might have been more suitable but there you go! This 5MW-cabbed unit was a classic UK-spec version of the model, so it could not strictly be classified as a ‘European’ or a ‘Belgian-cabbed’ ERF as it was quite clearly a LHD (non-export) unit intended for use by UK hauliers on international operations. Don’t forget that you could have one of these (non-tilting) fully Euro-spec 5MWs with a ■■■■■■■ NH 250 or even a NTC 335 engine and 9-sp Fuller. Or, like the Rolls Royce version, you could have LHD 5MW with a Gardner 240 (8LXB) and 6 or 8-sp David Brown 'box. As I’ve said before, 5MWs are a minefield! Robert

Ancient ERF uncaptioned.jpg

DEANB:

NTK 310,im sure it was a 743 with a slightly larger bore,but a reworked block than a standard 743.A bit like a Super 252 which was an 855 with a longer stroke(927 if I remember correctly)

railstaff:

DEANB:

NTK 310,im sure it was a 743 with a slightly larger bore,but a reworked block than a standard 743.A bit like a Super 252 which was an 855 with a longer stroke(927 if I remember correctly)

I have a vague recollection that the NTK (as opposed to the NTC) was the version built in the UK. Needs checking. Robert

Shotts dedicated engine plant.

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … om-■■■■■■■
The 5.5" bore engines have a capacity of almost exactly 14 litres, so I was wrong earlier. I thought the NTK was a turbo’d NH220. They share cyclinder dimensions with the NTC, at any rate. There is an NTK252 High Torque engine, which seems to be in direct competition with the NTC225 Custom Torque engine mentioned recently, somewhere :laughing: .

According to the article, they are right hand drive-specific engines, so Robert’s asserion about them being GB engines is more or less correct. Maybe they were also aimed at SA and OZ installations? Whatever- the first application for the new engines seems to have been the left hand drive 3MW ERF, which is totally illogical :laughing: .

railstaff:
Shotts dedicated engine plant.

Yes, that’s the kiddie! R

[zb]
anorak:
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/17th-april-1970/41/tailored-engines-from-■■■■■■■
The 5.5" bore engines have a capacity of almost exactly 14 litres, so I was wrong earlier. I thought the NTK was a turbo’d NH220. They share cyclinder dimensions with the NTC, at any rate. There is an NTK252 High Torque engine, which seems to be in direct competition with the NTC225 Custom Torque engine mentioned recently, somewhere :laughing: .

According to the article, they are right hand drive-specific engines, so Robert’s asserion about them being GB engines is more or less correct. Maybe they were also aimed at SA and OZ installations? Whatever- the first application for the new engines seems to have been the left hand drive 3MW ERF, which is totally illogical :laughing: .

I understand that this 4MW-cabbed ERF had that 310 in it too. Robert

4487215401_ce19643e39_z.jpg

[zb]
anorak:
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/17th-april-1970/41/tailored-engines-from-■■■■■■■

Notwithstanding their RHD specificness, that 310-powered unit in the piece further up the page is a LHD one! Robert

Anyone know who the european belongs to?