ERF 'European' (1975)

Some interesting pictures of the Jac Herreveld fleet have appeared on the Hull thread this weekend. Looking at them, I realised that the two very poor images we have of the NGC registered KRH 153P (No.55 on the register) appear to be in the same livery. We know that before it eventually passed to PG Horridge in Poole, it was operated by a Hull-based owner-driver called Ted Croswell, but he may have run it in Herreveld colours as a subbie, or it might even have been bought new by Jac Herreveld. I have put out feelers on the Hull thread for more info.

Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33578&start=810

Robert

newerf261CLOSE.jpg
IMG_0536.JPG

Pictures from the Hull thread:

IMG_4826.jpg
IMG_4827.jpg

I noticed this on ebay today. It is actually the 1:50 Bedford KM model that’s for sale not the resin-built ERF! Nonetheless, I was intrigued as it is clearly the work of the same model builder who made the red one I posted a week or so back. This one appears to be a slightly better attempt :sunglasses: (apart from the ludicrous visor!). Odd that it’s in Ryder truck-rental colours: I’d be surprised if the UK depots supplied LHD vehicles; but then this might be from a Continental depot - extremely unlikely but hey, some odd things have turned up on this thread! I wonder what motivated him to build a Ryder NGC :unamused: … Robert

I strongly doubt why Ryder (later Roger) would benefit from the ERF NGC but for ‘neutral’ purposes.
or why would an O/D rent/hire a NGC for continental (read M/E) use with airco etc etc

ERF-Continental:
I strongly doubt why Ryder (later Roger) would benefit from the ERF NGC but for ‘neutral’ purposes.
or why would an O/D rent/hire a NGC for continental (read M/E) use with airco etc etc

Exactly the point I was making :wink: . Robert

A marginally, fractionally clearer version of previous pic. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
A marginally, fractionally clearer version of previous pic. Robert

Looks like an advert in Le Poids Lourds magazine chap ?

Wim sent me this model he made of his dad’s Estra NGC.

DEANB:
Wim sent me this model he made of his dad’s Estra NGC.

Blimey that’s good! Any idea of scale or origin. It looks as if it might be a 1:50 model made from a PKC kit, but some of the details belie that. Be interesting to know! Cheers for that :sunglasses: . Robert

And someone sent me this one this morning: it appears to be a ‘new’ pic to us on here. Robert

DEANB:
Robert, Re the De Meulemeester ERF according to the company website it had a 350 bhp fitted.

Intrestingly they also operated a Bedford TM with a 320 bhp Detroit motor.

Hey, some time ago one of the Bedfords was still alive as a wrecker, but have seen last they have a V10 502 MAN. Of the Bedford still in use today, i don’t know.

Eric,

Very kindly supplied to me by ■■■■ Pountain: some more pictures taken by him of one his beasts; in this case the non-NGC but none-the-less damned interesting re-cabbed RHD ERF MDC 852 (66CU335). Its 335 ■■■■■■■ was replaced by a 35O at the same time as the 6MW cab was replaced by the 7/8MW cab shown. Chassis No.33315. Registered UGE 852R in 1975 it certainly had a stage presence! Robert

This rather good shot of the NGC converted to 6x4 by Shamara Heavy Haulage and re-registered as Q691 NTR was sent to me and has been sitting in my ‘rainy day’ bin for a while now. It is No.70 on my register. Robert

Screenshot_2018-11-05-21-05-04.png

ERF-NGC-European:
Very kindly supplied to me by ■■■■ Pountain: some more pictures taken by him of one his beasts; in this case the non-NGC but none-the-less damned interesting re-cabbed RHD ERF MDC 852 (66CU335). Its 335 ■■■■■■■ was replaced by a 35O at the same time as the 6MW cab was replaced by the 7/8MW cab shown. Chassis No.33315. Registered UGE 852R in 1975 it certainly had a stage presence! Robert

Cracking pics Robert and looks heavy. That one may be a mongrel of a 7MW, but still the best looking one, with the
Cauvas one in my opinion ! :smiley:

Nice pic here of DB-77-52 (No.45 on register) when it was still in Kooy livery. When the owner espied the NGC at the Brussels motor show he ordered one on the spot! He had it fitted with a night-heater (an unusual feature for the period). The trailer had early air-suspension (another unusual feature for the period!). An even clearer (different) pic of it appears in L. of A. Bk 3. When he took delivery of it he christened it ‘De Locomotief’. Robert

Here is DB-77-52 (No.45 on register) again when Cees Willemstein had it. Don’t be fooled by the registration number; it’s a trade plate! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Here is DB-77-52 (No.45 on register) again when Cees Willemstein had it. Don’t be fooled by the registration number; it’s a trade plate! Robert

Nice picture…taken on the yard of (also) DAF-dealer “Garage Bestebreurtje” in Rijsoord.

ERF-NGC-European:
Nice pic here of DB-77-52 (No.45 on register) when it was still in Kooy livery. When the owner espied the NGC at the Brussels motor show he ordered one on the spot! He had it fitted with a night-heater (an unusual feature for the period). The trailer had early air-suspension (another unusual feature for the period!). An even clearer (different) pic of it appears in L. of A. Bk 3. When he took delivery of it he christened it ‘De Locomotief’. Robert

The extra of a night-heater was a distributor thing as all chassis (both 6x ERF and 2x White) had a Webasto or Eberspächer heater installed.
CDB understood what requirements for drivers were then

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:

The extra of a night-heater was a distributor thing as all chassis (both 6x ERF and 2x White) had a Webasto or Eberspächer heater installed.

Nice detail! Well ahead of their time. Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:

Nice detail! Well ahead of their time. Cheers, Robert

As per the Van Steenbergen fleet, sorry I don’t recall the exact marque…ergo Webasto or Eberspächer

When CDB (also in short ■■■■■■■■■■ represented Foden…on delivery of the stored/parked Foden chassis
in the CDB hall, a spare wheel and more important the tyre were not available…Messrs Foden answered:
well, there is a tyre-shop every 10 mile over here…not understanding what continental transport was about