ERF 'European' (1975)

Possibly “RUMOURS” or at the end (ZB Anorak) pure ingnorance…but I got some feedback on a
possible merchant/broker on ex-Van Steenbergen’s ERF NGC chassis…from waht I know and
to be confirmed…both Volvo (Van Houdt from Geel) and Scania (Buga from Geel) all trade-in
chassis ended up at a broker after a well-earned life within show trucks-kermisses …again as
the French remainder…time will tell.

Don’t hesitate on documentation/literature from ERF (5MW, 7MW, B, C) and Krupp to ask me

I’m ignorant.

A fella has painted this rather nice pic of John Simmons one. :smiley:

He obviously has an eye for trucks as he sneaked the F88 in as well. :wink:

DEANB:
A fella has painted this rather nice pic of John Simmons one. :smiley:

He obviously has an eye for trucks as he sneaked the F88 in as well. :wink:

:sunglasses: Superb piece of NGC artwork! Love the way he’s arranged the perspective of the rear mudguard and the trailer-dolly’s mudguard to avoid giving the false impression that the unit is 6x4. Excellent work! Robert

I don’t think this brochure has been on here before. The Trail Blazers were announced in Feb 1978, just weeks after the last NGC was dispatched, so the brochure should reflect NGC-era networks. Robert

Is that not a 1979 or 1980 B series? The headlamp boxes are absent.

Nevertheless, the number of European and ME service stations suggest a more comprehensive network than has been suggested in the “What went Wrong” thread. How does it compare to the provisions in the early '70s? Maybe some of the dealers were just ERF signs and a dusty alternator on a shelf?

[zb]
anorak:
Is that not a 1979 or 1980 B series? The headlamp boxes are absent.

Nevertheless, the number of European and ME service stations suggest a more comprehensive network than has been suggested in the “What went Wrong” thread. How does it compare to the provisions in the early '70s? Maybe some of the dealers were just ERF signs and a dusty alternator on a shelf?

Drivers who actually drove NGCs and B-series abroad have reported to me that the network was very effective and that ERF would immediately fly parts out if necessary. In one my books (probably the third - it’s been delayed so long now I can’t remember what’s in the bloody thing!) I set out to dispell the myth of the so-called crap ERF back-up, using quotes from real drivers. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I don’t think this brochure has been on here before. The Trail Blazers were announced in Feb 1978, just weeks after the last NGC was dispatched, so the brochure should reflect NGC-era networks. Robert

Found this letter in Truck magazine 1975 regarding dealer/service back up.

erf letter 75.PNG

Look what Paul Gee sent me last night ! :smiley:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Good find, Dean :sunglasses: ; but it’s on this thread and on page 7 of L of A Book 2! Robert

DEANB:
Look what Paul Gee sent me last night ! :smiley:

A new NGC pic :open_mouth: :sunglasses: ! And well-spotted there. That’ll be KRH 153P, Phil Horridge’s ERF along with his Volvo, probably about the time the ERF B-series replaced the NGC. Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Good find, Dean :sunglasses: ; but it’s on this thread and on page 7 of L of A Book 2! Robert

I could not remember chap as i know i have sent you a few letters from old truck mags.

Indeed parked outside Horridge’s old yard ! :wink:

Today marks the 7th anniversary of my commitment to researching the history of the NGC. I’d love to able to mark this by announcing the release date for Book 3. Amazon now advertise it as 1st June. If this is true, then it’ll just be out in time for Gaydon on 8th/9th June, where it is hoped that the new Dutch NGC 1:50 scale kit will be launched. I’ll be there anyway! :wink: Robert

Cover of Book 3, due out 1st June according to Amazon.

9781912158362.jpg

And a taster…artwork by Hans Witte. Robert

Well, here’s another reason I hope Amazon are right about Book 3 coming out in time for Gaydon: PKC will be there with the new 1:50 NGC kit from Holland. I have just heard from Hans Witte and he says they will be displaying some made up kits in Richard Read livery and factory colours.

In brief: there is a basis kit from which one can build one of the NGC demo tractors (3 registration plates and ERF logo’s included), but also the very first prototype. From the basic kit you can also make any other NGC to choice. They have planned some Limited Editions, the first of which will be the Richard Read. The LE kits have all the specific parts, decals, a numbered certificate and a special instruction booklet.They want to offer both kits at Gaydon, together with the other PKC products. And they are working hard at two English trailers, a 33-ft and a 40-footer both with narrow spread tandem axles. The picture below shows a heavier 40-foot trailer with three double wheeled axles.

Here are some pictures. I don’t know about you, but I think they’re fantastic. Cheers for now, Robert :smiley:

The pics and models look excellent chap. :wink:

DEANB:
The pics and models look excellent chap. :wink:

Yes! They hope to have five different liveries on display on the model stand. More pictures to follow shortly… :sunglasses:

Robert

And here they are! I must say the photography is good. There’s some lovely detail in the cab interior: the colour of the seats etc is authentic and the Fuller gear-stick is quite distinguishable with its red range-change switch.

The Goedkoop + Geus unit is a joy to see and the breather-pipes on the rear of the Read unit look really good. Nice trailer too :sunglasses: . Robert

Those models look great- as I understand it, they are “production” items, not one-off labours-of-love?