ERF 'European' (1975)

DEANB:
Found this reference to the NGC in an article about the F12. In my opinion they should have been
comparing it to the F89. The NGC was built from 73 to 78,and the F12 only came out in 1977. :confused:

That may have been written by the same magazine that wrote the following piece about how close the F12 and the NGC were in terms of performance. It appeared in July '78 Euro-Test so Pat Kennett would have written it and he was making a clear retro-comparison :wink: . Robert

Double post :unamused:

DEANB:
Found this reference to the NGC in an article about the F12. In my opinion they should have been
comparing it to the F89. The NGC was built from 73 to 78,and the F12 only came out in 1977. :confused:

The article is piffle either way. F12 in a class of its own my arse. By 1977, most of its competitors were making more than 330bhp.

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:

The article is piffle either way. F12 in a class of its own my arse. By 1977, most of its competitors were making more than 330bhp.

I wouldn’t have minded an NGC with an F12 cab though :sunglasses: ! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:

You could have had a Transcon, with an extra 20 bhp and more space in the cab. Whether the Ford chassis was a match for ERF’s is another matter, upon which your first-hand knowledge trumps my speculation.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:

You could have had a Transcon, with an extra 20 bhp and more space in the cab. Whether the Ford chassis was a match for ERF’s is another matter, upon which your first-hand knowledge trumps my speculation.

The ERF had a more solid feel to it and much better brakes! And Transcons used to suffer from electrical problems, at least in the earlier days. I used to drive them: they didn’t 'alf go! But give me the NGC. robert

Robert
Found in my jacket pocket the other day how long its been buried down in there.

regards
Jeremy

Badger:
Robert
Found in my jacket pocket the other day how long its been buried down in there.
regards
Jeremy

And once worn with pride :smiley: Robert

Robert,
This popped up , do you know where the pic was taken? Just curious about the orange Mack in background!
Plus the trailer looks like a 33 footer or is it an optical illusion? Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Robert,
This popped up , do you know where the pic was taken? Just curious about the orange Mack in background!
Plus the trailer looks like a 33 footer or is it an optical illusion? Cheer’s Pete

Yes it’s an interesting photo Pete. I would think it was probably taken somewhere in Europe. The orange Mack looks like an Iranian one as it stands high on its tyres, so it could be somewhere between Hamburg and the Turkish border as that was a common route for the Iranians. Judging be the ‘mature’ appearance of the ERF it could have been taken in the late '70s or early '80s. It didn’t pass to the Trans Arabia fleet until late 1982. I would say that the trailer is a step-frame 40-footer and that 33-foot is an illusion. Curiously enough, CW Vick was nothing to do with Eric Vick so this must have been a bit traction work of some kind. CW Vick did a contract for Lister engines running trailers to Algeria and I think Eric Vick did some of that work but they sent LHD B-series on the work because the NGC units were too heavy!

Take care. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:
Robert,

Yes it’s an interesting photo Pete. I would think it was probably taken somewhere in Europe. The orange Mack looks like an Iranian one as it stands high on its tyres, so it could be somewhere between Hamburg and the Turkish border as that was a common route for the Iranians. Judging be the ‘mature’ appearance of the ERF it could have been taken in the late '70s or early '80s. It didn’t pass to the Trans Arabia fleet until late 1982. I would say that the trailer is a step-frame 40-footer and that 33-foot is an illusion. Curiously enough, CW Vick was nothing to do with Eric Vick so this must have been a bit traction work of some kind. CW Vick did a contract for Lister engines running trailers to Algeria and I think Eric Vick did some of that work but they sent LHD B-series on the work because the NGC units were too heavy!

Take care. Robert

Cheer’s for the info Robert,

Stablemates! Robert

Have n’t seen this one before , but i’m sure your aware of it Robert

3590238899_30ec89b34f_b.jpg

dieseldog:
Have n’t seen this one before , but i’m sure your aware of it Robert

Yes, we are Dieseldog, but thanks for posting. It belonged to ■■■■■■■ of New Malden, Vee & Inline Diesels of Daventry, Pountains of Sudbury, Watts Trucks of Newport, Redcap Transport of Newport (shown in your picture) and Jona Transport. It was an unusual NGC in that it had a big-cam ■■■■■■■ 290 in it. It led an unusual life too, mostly hauling a hospitality trailer, then racing-truck trailers all over Europe. Cheers, Robert

GAYDON 2018 vintage commercials and model show weekend. Brilliant weekend again. Plenty of NGC-related people and some material. Here are some items that came out of the weekend (more to come).

Ashley Coghill’s epic Eric Vick NGC model based on KFH 248P was on full display in the model show, as depicted on the front cover of the programme:

It attracted much attention and has gone to a good home :wink: .

A petite and bijou model in 1:76 was displayed, based on KCH 95N:

Old Pond had a stand there and distributed the following flyer in preparation for Book 3. I love the word ‘final’!

Bumped into Cookie who had found me a couple of pics I hadn’t seen before, of otherwise familiar NGCs, as follows:

one of UGE the non-NGC with the 7MW (or 8MW) cab

And one of HNV 35N. I notice that the caption shows it with a ■■■■■■■ 335 instead of the big-cam 290 fitted by ■■■■■■■■ Either the caption is just wrong, or possibly it was fitted with a 335 before ■■■■■■■ bunged the 290 in it - very possible IMO!

I also found a brochure on Trilex wheels which I’ll pop on the Trilex thread and cross-reference here; and a Jake Brake brochure which I might scan for the thread later on.

Cheers, Robert

PS just found another pic:

By the way, I sat up in this Scammell Crusader just to get a feel of comparison with the 7MW cab. Fundamentally the same but different comfort levels of course! Incidentally, the Crusader was the 2nd to last built (for the RAF) and had only done 13000 miles when sold. The RAF had garaged it so it was in near-perfect order. Great lorry!

Robert

Ashley’s phenomenal 1:24 model of KFH 249P now forms part of my NGC Archive Centre. :sunglasses: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Ashley’s phenomenal 1:24 model of KFH 249P now forms part of my NGC Archive Centre. :sunglasses: Robert

I wish my filing system looked like that !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Nice pic of Pountains chap ! :wink:

The new pic of the ■■■■■■■ one looks like it was from a magazine or book looking at the writing
at the bottom of the pic ■■?

Any ideas could possibly be a revs magazine ■■

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

I wish my filing system looked like that !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Nice pic of Pountains chap ! :wink:

The new pic of the ■■■■■■■ one looks like it was from a magazine or book looking at the writing
at the bottom of the pic ■■?

Any ideas could possibly be a revs magazine ■■

It could be an old REVS mag, but the caption style is reminiscent of older truckshow programmes, so it may have been taken for a gathering somewhere like Oulten Park or Donnington. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
…By the way, I sat up in this Scammell Crusader just to get a feel of comparison with the 7MW cab. Fundamentally the same but different comfort levels of course! …Robert

Yes- I believe they put a wood dash in the Southern version. :smiley: