ERF 'European' (1975)

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:
…By the way, I sat up in this Scammell Crusader just to get a feel of comparison with the 7MW cab. Fundamentally the same but different comfort levels of course! …Robert

Yes- I believe they put a wood dash in the Southern version. :smiley:

You mean RAF Southern equated to BRS Southern? :open_mouth:

:laughing: Well, this example had the wood (oh, walnut surely!) slanting dash - very similar to the NGC though the ERF didn’t have the wood effect of course (perish the thought). Now then, that reminds me that posher versions of BMC and later, BL cars (Rileys, Wolselys etc) had imitation walnut dashboards so I wonder if the wood-effect Crusaders were the British Leyland influence. Of course, ERF would never have stooped to anything quite so vulgar: the next step would have been staggered plaster mallard ducks on the passenger side and flock wallpaper behind the bunk. :laughing: Robert

In Lorries of Arabia Part 3, I have included a special section on the ERF NGC in art; and that includes the high level of craftsmanship involved in model-making of Ashley Coghill’s calibre. Not content to stop at the graphic art contributed to this book, I have sought to demonstrate that creative modelling can reach a point where it becomes akin to sculpture.

Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:
…By the way, I sat up in this Scammell Crusader just to get a feel of comparison with the 7MW cab. Fundamentally the same but different comfort levels of course! …Robert

:laughing: Well, this example had the wood (oh, walnut surely!) slanting dash - very similar to the NGC though the ERF didn’t have the wood effect of course (perish the thought). Now then, that reminds me that posher versions of BMC and later, BL cars (Rileys, Wolselys etc) had imitation walnut dashboards so I wonder if the wood-effect Crusaders were the British Leyland influence. Of course, ERF would never have stooped to anything quite so vulgar: the next step would have been staggered plaster mallard ducks on the passenger side and flock wallpaper behind the bunk. :laughing: Robert

The would have been the “Hilda Ogden” special edition NGC Robert!

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

The would have been the “Hilda Ogden” special edition NGC Robert!

That’s the one Pete! Driver’s kit would include a headscarf and a half-finished ■■■ to wear whilst threading the TIR-cord, and singing Gracie Field songs in a high-pitched voice :wink: Robert

Just found this oddment in cyberspace. Appears to be a German advert for an old press photograph (the same one that appeared in a Dutch test-drive/review). The name Brian Tankard is new to me, as Alan Rickett was ERF’s publicity manager at the time (I have been in touch with him and used his pics). Brian Tankard is described in the note as being the GROUP manager so perhaps he dealt with the export stuff. Anyone know? Robert
Robert

ERF-NGC-420-European-Foto-Prospekt-ERF.jpg

double post

ERF-NGC-European:
Just found this oddment in cyberspace. Appears to be a German advert for an old press photograph (the same one that appeared in a Dutch test-drive/review). The name Brian Tankard is new to me, as Alan Rickett was ERF’s publicity manager at the time (I have been in touch with him and used his pics). Brian Tankard is described in the note as being the GROUP manager so perhaps he dealt with the export stuff. Anyone know? Robert
Robert

Is it possible to speak to the person who posted it chap to see if you can get any more info ■■

This gives us a bit more information on Greer of Holytown. Looks like they were involved in
computer transport to Europe. From memory this is the only other pic of a Greer truck i have
seen. Who was the large company in Greenock that sent computers to Europe. Was it IBM ?

Click on page once.(1974)

greer 1974.PNG

DEANB:
This gives us a bit more information on Greer of Holytown. Looks like they were involved in
computer transport to Europe. From memory this is the only other pic of a Greer truck i have
seen. Who was the large company in Greenock that sent computers to Europe. Was it IBM ?

Click on page once.(1974)

The Greer ERF NGC was deffo on international computer transport, as you can see from the side of the trailer. Robert

BW298-6-5-thumb-448x298-108601.jpg

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
Robert

Is it possible to speak to the person who posted it chap to see if you can get any more info ■■

It was an exhausted sale (think ebay: ‘ended’ pics). Robert

Re ^^^^post above: here’s the link, Dean. Make of it what you will!

picclick.de/ERF-NGC-420-Europea … 64067.html

Robert

About the time I took this picture of the only ERF NGC known to have Trilex wheels (because the rear double-drive bogie came from a White unit in Belgium), I started adding info about Trilex wheels to a thread here on TNUK. Over the weekend at Gaydon I found another Trilex brochure, which I scanned and bunged on the Trilex thread. As it relevant to KCH 95N, here is the link to that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=96113

And here is the pic I took.

Robert

That piece about the Greer trailer is more useful than I at first thought, Dean. As it was supplied in 1974 it is probably the same trailer (or perhaps a sister one) that the NGC is pulling. Therefore it would be pertinent to use that info in any future caption showing a picture of Greer’s ERF (perhaps in a magazine article or, heaven forbid(!), Book 4 :laughing: ). So I’ll file it away in the GDS 543N folder :wink: . Well spotted!

Cheers, Robert

greer%201974.PNG

And just for a bit of context, here’s a shot of the earlier Greer fleet. Robert

Vermeulen, NL: I imagine this DAF replaced their 6x4 B-series. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

It’s a pre-1978 model. Later ones (“S” platers in UK) had a 2800 badge next to the left headlamp. The B series would not have lasted long, if that were the case.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

It’s a pre-1978 model. Later ones (“S” platers in UK) had a 2800 badge next to the left headlamp. The B series would not have lasted long, if that were the case.

Unless they bought the DAF second-hand :wink: Robert

Good morning Robert,
Dont see many of the Olympic cab ERF, about 1997, EC model ■■ Sold a few but they were a bit dear compared to the competition.
Any thoughts, Harvey

HRS:
Good morning Robert,
Dont see many of the Olympic cab ERF, about 1997, EC model ■■ Sold a few but they were a bit dear compared to the competition.
Any thoughts, Harvey

Still a few working, Harvey! Trouble is, even the later ones are long in the tooth now at over 20 years old. And twin-splitter drivers are not as common as they were. Plenty in Africa though! :wink: Robert

One of Pountains racing.(click on twice)