ERF 'European' (1975)

I’ve always liked the look of these cabs (motor panel cabs I think they were). Richard Read and Eric Vick from Gloucester ran a few of these to the continent many years ago…These aren’t my photo’s but they always looked good…

Has anyone ever seen a right hand drive one of these■■?

Cadwallader’s had this one…

This isn’t my picture…

Me.Paul.101:
This isn’t my picture…

It was built as LHD and converted to RHD.

Did they have many of these? most firms who had them had at least 2 or 3. Obviously didn’t run abroad with it did they?

fryske:
A survivor

Tadge of photoshop going on there imo?

Suedehead:

fryske:
A survivor

If this is the same wagon I’m thinking of, it came from Belgium and was sat in a plant hire place in Burscough for a while.

Suedehead:

fryske:
A survivor

Enlighten me then?

Me.Paul.101:
This isn’t my picture…

That’s an MW European isn’t it?

fryske:

Suedehead:

fryske:
A survivor

Enlighten me then?

Imo the signwriting on the headboard doesnt look right . .looks fake.
Looks duff.

Suedehead:

fryske:

Suedehead:

fryske:
A survivor

Enlighten me then?

Why would I “photoshop” the signwriting on when the owner has already painted it on – as a quick Google will show
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kch95n

fryske:

Suedehead:

fryske:

Suedehead:

fryske:
A survivor

Enlighten me then?

Why would I “photoshop” the signwriting on when the owner has already painted it on – as a quick Google will show
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kch95n

Ho hum, i stand corrected.
That signwriting is ■■■■ though.

Cant ever remember seeing one on the road & been driving for a living since 1969 class1 tramping since 1974 roundabout the time these would be about, suprised they werent popular as it was round about then you started getting more sleepers about, anybody know how many they built :question:

marky:

Suedehead:

fryske:
A survivor

If this is the same wagon I’m thinking of, it came from Belgium and was sat in a plant hire place in Burscough for a while.

Is this the same lorry?

ERF541.jpg

Interesting, from this picture you can clearly see how the parts bin was raided for anything worthwhile (a struggle at ERF I know) and any other work needed was carried out by Morris Oxford.

Management in British industry at the time were riddled with halfwits who clearly never had a bleeding clue. :wink:

ERF541.jpg

hiya…

3300John:
hiya…i know the parts bin was raided…who’s going to jig up for 30 sets of mirror arms.
my AEC has got rover P4 door handles(god knows what door locks)modified rover inside dooe
handles.the window glass and winders are austin rear door .
I got a door from rush green (ex london brick) that had standard 8 door handles with
rover P4 rear door locks…mine has capri head lights… bits and bobs yes but door
handles are door handles so get what on offer. erf door handles was the same as seddon /guy/scammell
foden so those fims must have done the same, just fit what was available.
look what happened when the stupid roadtrain door handle appeared… it broke. you could’nt get them.
nothing eles would fit. driver was forced to struggle with a pair of plieres untill leyland could be bothered
to release a new one. that was a specalised part.
John

Hi John.
Do not forget that Leyland used to train the halfwit buffons that passed as managers in the 70’s who then went on to greater things at other company’s.

Can you imagine the conversation at board level when Alex Ingonise (sic) said…look I have this great idea for a front wheel drive vehicle with a wheel at each end that is independently sprung. :smiley:
What do you mean Alex that you want to have a new engine designed ?, we have a warehouse full of perfectly useable engines from the pre war A35 called the A-series etc etc etc. :wink:

tried them at a one transport Leeds ,load of crap,went back on to volvos thank god :smiley:

Dodgy Permit:
Can you imagine the conversation at board level when Alex Ingonise (sic) said…look I have this great idea for a front wheel drive vehicle with a wheel at each end that is independently sprung. :smiley:
What do you mean Alex that you want to have a new engine designed ?, we have a warehouse full of perfectly useable engines from the pre war A35 called the A-series etc etc etc. :wink:

No need to imagine. The scenario you describe actually happened:
theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to … x-engines/

I can sense this discussion returning to the subject of the What Went Wrong thread. To save us all a lot of hard work, I’ll say it now: they should have put a Detroit Diesel engine in the Mini. :laughing:

Thanks for that link Anorak, very interesting.

333John confirmed what I said in jest that I thought it looked as if it had been designed for the 180 Gardner & they later had to chop the front off and extend it to accommodate a bigger engine.

This evening I watched the program about the V-Bombers where British aircraft designers produced a world beating design that was at the cutting edge, not only that it proved to be the most reliable plane of its type in the world & a true world beater.
All the effort (in hindsight) should of course been channeled into civilian aircraft but that is another story.

We can though use the above to imagine the just what the V-Bomber would have looked like had it been designed at Sandbach. :laughing: