ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
John Simmons ERF . Now this picture is a bit like an estate agents advert when they have a property for sale near the sea and they put “sea glimses” and add on another 100,000 grand for the privilege of looking
between two other properties or some trees to see a tiny bit of the sea. Look right,corner of bumper,
indicator etc of Simmons NGC ! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

Imagine the frustration of only glimpsing that much of the NGC from your balcony! Pity really because the picture is a good clear one. My flat has ‘sea glimpses’ but you have to crane your neck out of the window for them so I didn’t have to pay extra! :laughing: Robert

Thats because you are tight and would not pay for a sea view ! :smiley:

newerf808.PNG

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
John Simmons ERF . Now this picture is a bit like an estate agents advert when they have a property for sale near the sea and they put “sea glimses” and add on another 100,000 grand for the privilege of looking
between two other properties or some trees to see a tiny bit of the sea. Look right,corner of bumper,
indicator etc of Simmons NGC ! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

Imagine the frustration of only glimpsing that much of the NGC from your balcony! Pity really because the picture is a good clear one. My flat has ‘sea glimpses’ but you have to crane your neck out of the window for them so I didn’t have to pay extra! :laughing: Robert

Thats because you are tight and would not pay for a sea view ! :smiley:

And I won’t be the last tight pensioner you hear about this week :laughing: ! Robert

GEH has a placard / board in centre of windscreen, containing parts / copies of NGC brochure, including
the interior shot , and what appear to be other photos of it in use .
Wonder if any of the photos have still to break cover , or all have been seen .

Casual Observer:
GEH has a placard / board in centre of windscreen, containing parts / copies of NGC brochure, including
the interior shot , and what appear to be other photos of it in use .
Wonder if any of the photos have still to break cover , or all have been seen .

Good question. The brochure is already on this thread. I’ve blown the image up but the remaining photos are too blurred to identify against the ones we already have. However, we have about 100 photos of GEH on this thread, plus four or five good ones I’ve kept back for Book 3, so we have a pretty comprehensive record of this particular vehicle! Robert

A contemporary (with the NGCs) Eric Vick B-series on ebay :wink: . Robert

Also I’d not noticed before that there is an NGC lurking behind this 3/5MW ERF with Trans Arabia :wink: . Robert

A clearer version of an earlier image of JLG 35N that went out on demo to the Middle East. Robert

newerf818.PNG.jpg

Was sent these today. They both show Trans Arabia 108. Who can identify the drivers? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
A clearer version of an earlier image of JLG 35N that went out on demo to the Middle East. Robert

Its surprising that we have never found any more pics for this one, MMG772P and KDM460N apart from the
ones we have. It would be nice to find some in company colours so we could see who actually operated them.

The man who is having a shave is the legendary Ernie Hatherway who passed away a few years ago he was the regular driver of 108 the other photo is of Ernie and a very young Gypsy Dave Anslow

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Its surprising that we have never found any more pics for this one, MMG772P and KDM460N apart from the
ones we have. It would be nice to find some in company colours so we could see who actually operated them.

Having been in communication with both ERF’s field engineer who drove JLG 35N and their publicity officer who photographed it in Sandbach, I rather hoped to unearth a rich hoard of images from this trip but none has come to light and perhaps they were lost. Tempting though it is to wonder if the golden opportunity to take legion promotional pictures of their flagship unit in such photogenic surroundings was simply missed by ERF, it does well to remember that many happy snappers – including the photo-journalists who rode shotgun on the Middle-East run to write Cola Cowboys and Juggernaut – lost all their photographs to the Saudi security apparatus.

As for MMG 772P: that still remains a mystery. I am as surprised as you are that KDM 460N didn’t turn up with a UK operator and get photographed, especially after its auspicious start with the Euro Test!

Robert

cookie1:
The man who is having a shave is the legendary Ernie Hatherway who passed away a few years ago he was the regular driver of 108 the other photo is of Ernie and a very young Gypsy Dave Anslow

Thanks Jerry! I knew you’d know :sunglasses: ! Robert

I’ve had a couple of days waiting for a reload so I went through this thread to pass the time. I didn’t notice any mention of the two Europeans ran by Mortons. I used to load empty containers from their yard in 1979 and always thought they were a good looking motor.

ChrisArbon:
I’ve had a couple of days waiting for a reload so I went through this thread to pass the time. I didn’t notice any mention of the two Europeans ran by Mortons. I used to load empty containers from their yard in 1979 and always thought they were a good looking motor.

Hello Chris,

Was that the larger of the two ERF’s like the Richard Read one or was it the smaller one like the Cadwallader
one ■■ I found this thread today and i think Ralph Morton is possibly talking about the Cadwallader type
rather than the Read one ■■? You obviously saw them so can confirm ?

newerf850.PNG

RE the bottom image/screensave: yes, the Caddy 5MW started as a left-■■■■■■; yes, Frampton’s were 5MWs not NGCs; and we need someone to remember the one on the French RN10 mentioned at the bottom. Ralph Morton’s comment ‘my dad had two’ appears to refer to the picture of the Caddy 5MW - in other words, I think he means 5MWs. The whole piece is about 5MWs as I read it. Robert

Was sent this scan of a cutting this week. It’s from Issue No. 1 of TRUCKING INTERNATIONAL magazine in 1984 and mentions the ERF NGC. Although it doesn’t tell us anything new it does confirm stuff we do know and comfortingly affirms that drivers thought well of the truck! The writer seems to be American.

Robert

TI 1984 issue No1 article with NGC.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Was sent this scan of a cutting this week. It’s from Issue No. 1 of TRUCKING INTERNATIONAL magazine in 1984 and mentions the ERF NGC. Although it doesn’t tell us anything new it does confirm stuff we do know and comfortingly affirms that drivers thought well of the truck! The writer seems to be American.

Robert

Its strange articles about ERF hardly mention the NGC in them. Here is another i have found which may
have already been put on here ? Again its hardly mentioned although its called a “Eurotruck” with power
upto 420 bhp . (Click on page twice to read.)

ERF made a good job of the inspection panels. They really do let you have a good look around the radiator,hoses and front of the engine etc.

newerf853a.PNG

Another article was in this magazine called Les Maxis which i think is a Belgium one. Looks like it
covered the Brussels truck show and the magazine was dated February 1973. Unfortunately no new pics.

DEANB:
Another article was in this magazine called Les Maxis which i think is a Belgium one. Looks like it
covered the Brussels truck show and the magazine was dated February 1973. Unfortunately no new pics.

Streuth! :smiley: That’s an interesting find. Les Maxis mag is a new one on me - as you say, it appears to be Belgian. Deffo one for the files!

Cheers,

Robert

Robert, According to this article Best trucks only sold 23 trucks in 6 years from 1974,including the B series.
You would have thought they would have sold more than that. Do you know what year they stopped selling
ERF trucks ? Including the B series that you know about, how many can you account for ?

DEANB:
Robert, According to this article Best trucks only sold 23 trucks in 6 years from 1974,including the B series.
You would have thought they would have sold more than that. Do you know what year they stopped selling
ERF trucks ? Including the B series that you know about, how many can you account for ?

The whole article was written by Niels Jansen, a Dutch transport photo-journalist of long-standing. I think Best stopped selling them when ERF pulled out of Europe in '79. Hans Witte may know as he still has connections with Best. I seem to remember someone (ERF-Continental probably) challenging the figure somewhere back on this thread. The figure won’t be far out though. Robert