ERF E series

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJ8mtoSEhM

Just found these from a few yrs ago .

A couple I spotted back in 2002:

ERF E-Series F620 OHD by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

ERF E-Series K170 OKB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

I went back onto tankers in 1994,just for a few months.
George Bloomer ran E Series,two of which were E14s.My old pal Gordon had G230 DCX from new and I had D801 PHD which was eight years old then. It was the best wagon I have ever driven,pulled really well and the twin - split was a marvellous box.
A couple of photos of G230……………………

bloomer14.jpg

bloomer30.jpg

Punchy Dan:
Thanks Chris ,I didn’t know that MAN fitted them too ,the other E series fact is they’re the first model to have the mirror arm bigger where wide angle mirrors could be fitted but successfully used .

Two of the three drivers at the firm I was working for (the other was the boss, so that didn’t count!) decided to have a “works outing” to Commercial Show at the NEC one year. Eaton- backed up by ERF- were there with a SAMT simulator which we proceeded to attempt to demolish! We failed, but if the production models were as good as the simulator, they deserved much more interest than they ultimately received. We thought the set-up was most impressive, but maybe the sim was tuned to give that impression.
We returned home all enthusiastic but the boss wasn’t keen on “Them modern devices” and continued to specify the usual nine-speeders on our ERFs, which we loved anyway.

First registration june 1996, 900.000+miles, 16-speed, ■■■■■■■ 14litres

Probably the tractor is NOT from Belgium but the trader is Belgian.

ERF-EC14-4x2-1996-B.jpg

ERF-EC14-4x2-1996-A.jpg

^^^^i saw that on auto line last week :smiley:

Calling all ERF experts ,anyone know if there’s anything between the air tank and foot valve on the E series that could cause a reduced pressure problem before I start cutting cable ties looking for a trapped pipe , I only have 4 bar feeding the foot valve on the port in for the rear axle .

Plenty of pressure for someone who never pulls a trailer with it!

First suspect would be the check valve, attached to the reservoir tank, sending supply to the treadle valve. Most air systems are generic, not make specific.

Retired Old ■■■■:

It’s still got to be mot worthy though Rof :wink:

Star down under.:
First suspect would be the check valve, attached to the reservoir tank, sending supply to the treadle valve. Most air systems are generic, not make specific.

Thanks but pressure would / should still be the same even with a reduced restriction .

ERF-Continental:
First registration june 1996, 900.000+miles, 16-speed, ■■■■■■■ 14litres

Probably the tractor is NOT from Belgium but the trader is Belgian.

That’s not an E-series, it’s an EC-series :wink: ! robert

8B402E06-0C29-4B31-B494-A894BD5D3159.jpegproblem or problems solved ,changed the multi circuit valve and now got 8 bar to the foot valve but still only 4 bar coming out on the rear port ,now hunting for new valve or popit and spring kit .

interesting , k194 boj must have been one of a series . All from a firm Warwickshire way , I had 187 boj , 320 ■■■■■■■ and quite high mileage for it’s age . they were on private plates and were re registered when sold off . They had a home made second axle lift , when empty the air dump button could be locked down and a pair of heavy springs , similar to a cattle lorry tailgate springs , lifted the axle clear of the road .mine was a good lorry , twin splitter and ran as sweet as a nut . Just a bit of useless history but happy memories for me .

Punchy Dan:
0problem or problems solved ,changed the multi circuit valve and now got 8 bar to the foot valve but still only 4 bar coming out on the rear port ,now hunting for new valve or popit and spring kit .

Is this 4bar at the brake chamber, if so and tractor unit only with no trailer it may be a little high…

We ran two ex Blakes K166 BOJ and K151 BOJ got them off Sammy Jones.Good motors apart from the midlift tyres used to scelp when running empty,small price to pay for a ■■■■■■■ 320 and a twin splitter.

Punchy Dan:

Retired Old ■■■■:

No sense of adventure!
When I was your age we didn’t have brakes.

Nor VOSA!

dave docwra:

Punchy Dan:
0problem or problems solved ,changed the multi circuit valve and now got 8 bar to the foot valve but still only 4 bar coming out on the rear port ,now hunting for new valve or popit and spring kit .

Is this 4bar at the brake chamber, if so and tractor unit only with no trailer it may be a little high…

I tested the load sensing valve after the chambers ,then left it disconnected fastened full open .

Retired Old ■■■■:

Punchy Dan:

Retired Old ■■■■:

No sense of adventure!
When I was your age we didn’t have brakes.

Nor VOSA!

I think you mean brains not brakes :laughing:

Dads ERF C145EBU.jpg
Trawling through the internet i found a photo of my dads old truck which he drove from new in 1986 till 1991 ish
the original colours were green and white not the red bumper and chassis as in the photo, my dad left nuttalls around the time Hasleden got involved,
The truck was meant to be one of the first E series pre production models, i’ve still got the ERF key ring for it with the fleet number stamped on it which was 40,
coincidence he got it around the time he’d turned 40,
The fleet were meant to be named after submarines and my dads was named after Resolution, also still got the coat of arms of the submarine he use to have in the window which he got off the boats crew, he use to do a lot of the chloride battery deliveries to the naval bases,