Engines - Leyland 0.680

I have been unable to find any Lorry video of the Leyland 600 so these bus ones will have to make do:

Routemaster
youtube.com/watch?v=EuGA__hrUZQ

Leyland Titan PD2

youtube.com/watch?v=p9awaCTFu4M

youtube.com/watch?v=hKlKPyuUYps

I once owned a Leyland PD2. Lovely engine, but very noisy in the half-cab! Robert

From the driver’s point of view the680 was a boon and a curse . The noise levels in the michelotti scammel cab were horrendous , I couldn’t hear properly for ages after switching off , but the pulling power was beyond anything else on offer at the time . I had an ergo cabbed leyland badger later with the 600 engine and that went really well , although the plastic fan had a habit of disintegrating and destroying the radiator . The noise level though was much more acceptable in the ergo cab . Cheers , Dave

bma.finland:
hello ,don,t forgot SISU, used 400 in the KONTIO and 680 in JYRY and KB modells

Hey Benkuu, yes lots used the Leylands or made them under license

For use the most interestinly was DAF which used and made them.

0.680 150 (165) hp powerful for its horsepower, reliable.
0.680 license 190/180 hp SAE reliable but no more power as the 150hp so powerless in 200hp class.
P.680 220 SAE (weak engine) no power and unreliable.
DP.680 226 SAE with change made by DAF en Bosch fuel injection powerless and unreliable.
In '67 came DAF’s own 1160 on 0.680 base from de beginning reliable and acceptable fuel consumption but not
very powerful.
Lots DP’s were repaced with the 1160 with financial support of DAF.
The leyland 0.680 was a much loved bus and coach engine too.
The most stupid thing is, even Scania learnt of the 0.600 and Leyland stayed be stuck instead of developing it.
Maybe at yours the TL11 was good ■■? but the TL12 not here

Eric,

The rear mounted engine in the bus had the most familiar 680 sound to me. A PDA pump too.
Perhaps it was the position of the mike but the NZ Octopus didn’t sound like a 680 engine to my ears, more so an AEC 690.
Once we fitted the turbo 680 engine, it had a completely different sound to the N/A engine.
A lot less top end/tappet noise and very quiet from the exhaust. Originally we just ran straight 5" vertical stack from the turbo and it was still a very quiet truck.
Then I scored a few Donaldson mufflers and fitted one in place of the straight pipe, exhaust noise completely gone.

The NZ Octopus has been re-powered with a TL11a. I took the video,she’s a noisey old bugger and ear muffs are a must if going on a long drive.

The Leyland 600 was immediately preceded by the E181(?) 7.4 which was a development of a wartime tank engine. Before this had been the 1933/4 introduced Leyland 8.6 (E102?) seen below in a rather poor quality scan, of a good picture, taken a couple of weeks ago, of this engine which is a rebuild of two engines and a partial overhaul following a major failure.

The Leyland 8.6 was a George Rackham design, it was one of the first successful direct injection diesel engines, featuring a ‘pot cavity’ combustion chamber in the piston crown and an overhead camshaft, driven by a spring loaded split timing gear arrangement with the intermediate gear at the top of the timing case. The drive to this intermediate gear is by triple row Reynolds chain. The entire design was later ‘adopted’ by AEC when Rackham became their chief mechanical engineer. AFIK the engine remained in production until the the time of the 600’s introduction in about 1947 and was still going through the factory engine overhaul system until about 1956/8.

scan0086.jpg

Prior to the C & U regs coming in the mid '60’s in my opinion the finest 24 gvw tractor unit was the LAD Leyland Badger with the 600 engine and the Eaton axle.However,the 680 Power Plus Octopus in particular the one operated by T.Brady which I was a trailer mate on must be about the finest motor of it’s era.Some of the weights we hauled on that waggon and trailer were tremendous for the time and the 680 never missed a beat,after a slog up Shap Fell sometimes the offside front wheel would be black from the exhaust,no wonder as we were often grossing 40 tons plus with some of the lumps we hauled out of the Vickers yard from Barrow to the Clyde and the N.East.The 680 never missed a beat although we did occaisionally spend time in Leyland Motors at Chorley and at Oldbury for work on the pump and injectors but we never ever broke down.Happy days,cheers Bewick.

The earliest 600 I saw was in an Allis Chalmers 'dozer on a privately=run waste tip just outside Gloucester. I and my mate were regularly called out to fix broken tracks and bits which fell off through neglect but the engine never missed a beat.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Well Foden we ran was an Ex BOC Motor with a Leyland 680 PP, Plus the good old Foden 12 speed box 52 MPH Top speed but it was a cracking motor, Good on fuel plus the S36 cab was insulated on this one not noisey at all, The good old Leyland/Foden days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence (Larry? My old man was Larry to his mates) thanks for the photo of the Foden, the connection only just dawned on me. Yes I am a quick learner ain’t I :unamused:

cargo:
The rear mounted engine in the bus had the most familiar 680 sound to me. A PDA pump too.
Perhaps it was the position of the mike but the NZ Octopus didn’t sound like a 680 engine to my ears, more so an AEC 690.
Once we fitted the turbo 680 engine, it had a completely different sound to the N/A engine.
A lot less top end/tappet noise and very quiet from the exhaust. Originally we just ran straight 5" vertical stack from the turbo and it was still a very quiet truck.
Then I scored a few Donaldson mufflers and fitted one in place of the straight pipe, exhaust noise completely gone.

Sorry “cargo”, just realised maybe you were replying to me…

Which bus engine was “most familiar” ? They’re all rear-engine (Atlantean, Fleetline, RE), albeit with different drivetrains. A lot depends on the kit the recorder was using and where they were sitting. If it’s the RE, have a listen to a couple of Youtube vids featuring Gardner engines and you’ll soon be able to pick them apart.

And as NZ Jamie says, the Ergo in his vid is a TL11, I think I introduced it as such.

NZ JAMIE:
The NZ Octopus has been re-powered with a TL11a. I took the video,she’s a noisey old bugger and ear muffs are a must if going on a long drive.

Hey Jamie, is she still going? And still at work? If so gwarn and post another vid. And one of the Mammoth while you’re at it :slight_smile:

tiptop495:

bma.finland:

Hey Benkuu, yes lots used the Leylands or made them under license

For use the most interestinly was DAF which used and made them.

0.680 150 (165) hp powerful for its horsepower, reliable.
0.680 license 190/180 hp SAE reliable but no more power as the 150hp so powerless in 200hp class.
P.680 220 SAE (weak engine) no power and unreliable.
DP.680 226 SAE with change made by DAF en Bosch fuel injection powerless and unreliable.
In '67 came DAF’s own 1160 on 0.680 base from de beginning reliable and acceptable fuel consumption but not
very powerful.
Lots DP’s were repaced with the 1160 with financial support of DAF.
The leyland 0.680 was a much loved bus and coach engine too.
The most stupid thing is, even Scania learnt of the 0.600 and Leyland stayed be stuck instead of developing it.
Maybe at yours the TL11 was good ■■? but the TL12 not here

Eric,

Thanks Eric, good info. I knew DAF used the 0.680 as a base for its DKS1160, but I did not know DAF replaced many 680PP (DP680) with their own re-developed version. Were those replacements in trucks or buses, or both? Strangely, though the DKS in the 2800/3300 was highly regarded, it never gained the same reputation in PSV (buses and coaches), even though the 0.600/ 0.680 did. One other thing - someone once stated - with absolute certainty - that Scania had also adopted the 0.680 design for its 11litre engine. I doubted this, but don’t know for certain, so if you have any definitive information please say.

Regards from Oz
Steve

Bewick:
the 680 never missed a beat.

That seems to be a common theme - noisy and thirsty (depending on installation) they may have been, but about as reliable an engine as Leyland ever made. Shame about the 500 series then…

cav551:
The Leyland 600 was immediately preceded by the E181(?) 7.4 which was a development of a wartime tank engine.

Thanks cav551

ParkRoyal2100:
… One other thing - someone once stated - with absolute certainty - that Scania had also adopted the 0.680 design for its 11litre engine. I doubted this, but don’t know for certain, so if you have any definitive information please say.

Regards from Oz
Steve

According to Lindh’s book:

Scania Vabis had a joint venture with Leyland at the end of the 1940s, which gave the Swedes licence to copy Leyland’s combustion chamber and injection system. These engines remained in production until 1958, when they were replaced by a new range of engines, design work on which began in 1953. The 11 litre was launched in 1963. That’s a “no”, then. :smiley:

[zb]
anorak:
According to Lindh’s book:

Scania Vabis had a joint venture with Leyland at the end of the 1940s, which gave the Swedes licence to copy Leyland’s combustion chamber and injection system. These engines remained in production until 1958, when they were replaced by a new range of engines, design work on which began in 1953. The 11 litre was launched in 1963. That’s a “no”, then. :smiley:

So my scepticism wasn’t entirely misplaced then? That’s comforting :slight_smile:

ParkRoyal2100:

tiptop495:

bma.finland:

Eric,

Thanks Eric, good info. I knew DAF used the 0.680 as a base for its DKS1160, but I did not know DAF replaced many 680PP (DP680) with their own re-developed version. Were those replacements in trucks or buses, or both? Strangely, though the DKS in the 2800/3300 was highly regarded, it never gained the same reputation in PSV (buses and coaches), even though the 0.600/ 0.680 did. One other thing - someone once stated - with absolute certainty - that Scania had also adopted the 0.680 design for its 11litre engine. I doubted this, but don’t know for certain, so if you have any definitive information please say.

Regards from Oz
Steve

Hey, PR 2100, the basic engine was the 1160DK 230hp, the DP680 was never used in coaches or buses.
Descendants are the DKA 250, DKB 324, the DKS was the 2800 Turbo Cooler with 340/(320 DIN) hp.
A stronger block came later with the ATI’s.
The 95 had the same bore and stroke but had nothing to see with the old engine, the design was completely different.
All the thinking of Scania’s 11l or V8 aren’t reality, only for direct injection was Scania at Leyland’s school.
So Scania’s first DI was a 135hp 8.5l, 150hp 9.4l and 165hp 10.3l followed three yeas later by the 205hp 10.3l.

Eric,

Park Royal the bus engine I was referring to was the Fleetline video.
But it’s been a lot of years and I’m now quite deaf so perhaps my recollections are a bit off.
We did run our 680’s at higher rpm than the NZ Octopus video started off. Once he was up in the revs it sounded more familiar.
We ran at around 1900 where they were very smooth, and then flat to the boards for the hills.
A different world today where trucks are geared at around 1200 for 100kph, with massive torque available.

We had a Scammell Handyman on an ‘H’ registration plate with a Power Plus 6.680 mated to an AEC 6-speed D203 gearbox, a really good lorry. I did a ‘flier’ with it one evening, from Metal Box at Westhoughton to Metal Box Wisbech with an urgent transfer load of tin plate. 22 tons and I did the journey non-stop in just a shade over 4 hours and that included going over Woodhead. That was good going back then. I recall going down the A1 at a steady 62 mph, mile after mile. Happy days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: