DAF engines

I would be interested to read the progression of DAF’s development of the Leyland 680. I know that they initially started making it under licence and then producing their own version. It then morphed into the DK 11.6 and this engine was then developed into numerous variants and upgrades. Some were crossflow and some U flow, and then turbocharging was added. Does anyone have any detailed information of what the differences designations and dates were? ie DK, DKS, DKV, DKDT etc.
IIRC the engine was subject to major modifications about the time of the CF/XF model range with 4 valve heads and an increase in capacity.

Thank you.

Wasn’t it the 75 engine that was based on the leyland ? Don’t they suffer water problems ?

Very good idea for a thread, this. After all, is the Daf/Leyland 11.6 litre engine one of the most successful European engines of all time?

My memory is a little hazy on this, so please feel free to correct:
1962 launch of DAF F2600 range, with Leyland P680 @200bhp(?).
1964 The engine is manufactured in Eindhoven, is renamed DP680 and has 216bhp(?).
1966 The 2600 gets a horizontal grille and the DK1160 engine is born. 228bhp DIN? This needs clarification.

Unfortunately ZB Anorak does not post (more) content as usual by the way, another thread screwd again

ERF-Continental:
Well CAV551: I here have the handwritten and Dutch notes (Copyright by Hans Witte from the ISle of Texel, NL) who did a hell of a job
clarifying and sorting main-data on different DAF-types. He did this in 1979 and both DAF Museum and DAF Oldtimer Truck Club gained from
his thorough expertise. Also you’re invited to enjoy this information. You all should manage with the simple Dutch language.

I hope you’ll have fruitful conversations and discussions with this DAF-bible-content, and will respect to the copyright of Hans Witte.
A-J

This is indeed an excellent document, and Mr. Witte is a very respectable researcher.

As you seem to be aware, I have prior experience of his work, through a document that was sent to me by a third party. I am now confident that your repeated slights on my ability to respect copyright extend to that document. Contrary to your apparent implications, I have not published one jot of that work on this forum or elsewhere. Everything I have posted on TNUK has been found by me, separately from Mr. Witte’s writings, or has been submitted independently by other members of this forum (including yourself). That is in complete contrast to your own posting of the documents on this thread- what is left of their copyright to respect? All of it is now available for six billion people (that’s right- all of them) to read, save onto their disc drives and share, free of royalty charges.

ERF-Continental:
Hans Witte’s DAF-register (from 1950 to 1980) is available in a 300 pages DAF-book with
ISBN 978-90-77502-59-4 published by the DAF Oldtimer Truck Club in 2007 and still in stock.

You have removed the documents from the page. “Edited 2 times in total”, it says. All that guff about me respecting the author’s right, and you end up with your own wrist slapped! Delicious.

Hey to all. Here some details out Original brochures.

Most speak about DO or DP engines, but de D means That details were modified for Daf as a Bosch fuel pump and some other small things.
As I know de DP was never built in the Nederlands, the DO 190HP (Belgium France) was built in the Nederlands called as 180HP.

2600 all were in SAE HP

'62 P680 220
'65 DP680 226 (in Germany called 210 DIN)
'67/68 DK and DKA 230 and 250 or 212 and 230 DIN Hp
'72 DKB 324SAE 304DIN (made for the German 8/HP ton)

Gearboxes ZF and syncro was an option always

P only 6 speeds
DP 6 and two speed 12 but only 9 or 10 useful
DK idem as the DP and the DKA 6 and splitter with 12 useable speeds
DKB at the launch the ZF 4 over 4 and crawler so 9 speed, same as the MB 1932. But could not hold
with Daf’s torque and housing broke too. Soon replaced by the RTO 9513.
Who got in warranty the Fuller so as overdrive against the ZF 1/1 top had a real flyer with the 4.50 back
axle. Later the standard final drive with the Fuller was 4.9.
In '73/74 came the legendary 2800.

Hope I was helpfully;

Eric,

Hey, forgotten all engines with the sign DK are 1160, Daf’s own engine.

Eric,

[ZB] Anorak for (trucknet)ukip!

cav551:
I would be interested to read the progression of DAF’s development of the Leyland 680. I know that they initially started making it under licence and then producing their own version. It then morphed into the DK 11.6 and this engine was then developed into numerous variants and upgrades. Some were crossflow and some U flow, and then turbocharging was added. Does anyone have any detailed information of what the differences designations and dates were? ie DK, DKS, DKV, DKDT etc.
IIRC the engine was subject to major modifications about the time of the CF/XF model range with 4 valve heads and an increase in capacity.

Thank you.

Hi cav551 hopefully this is of some interest, an excerpt from Wikipedia
Oily

DAF produced their first lorry, the A30, in 1949. This lorry was upgraded in the following years. Their first attempt into the international market was a failure, the 2000DO. Their next lorry was the 1964 2600, which became a big seller with its well-equipped but practical cabin.[3] They also produced a so-called torpedo-front tractor.
In the 1970s a new modular tilting cab called the F218 was introduced on the F1600/F2000 range of vehicles. Three years later, the wider F241, which featured DAF’s characteristic three-wiper windscreen, was introduced as the DAF 2800. This design lasted until the introduction of the 95 style cab in 1987. There was also a lighter, narrower version called the F198 which was introduced in 1972 on the F1200 and F1400, but this short-lived model was replaced after only three years. 1984 DAF truck production was 13,645; this increased to 14,382 in calendar year 1985.[4] DAF was also one of the first to introduce an intercooled turbocharged diesel engine into their lorries, which in these years became very evident with their 3600. Their largest 11.6-litre (710 cu in) six-cylinder turbodiesel was based on the old Leyland O.680 motor.[5] It was to be DAF’s standard large engine long into the nineties.
DAF’s 95 series was launched in 1987, and quickly gained the coveted ‘Truck of The Year’ award. The 95 featured an all new cab developed jointly with ENASA of Spain, a revised version of the 11.6 litre ATI engine, rated at 310, 350, and 380 Bhp, and 16 speed ZF gearbox. On the Continent Eaton’s Twinsplitter gearbox was an option. A full range of axle configurations were offered, to suit every operating requirement. Much attention was paid to soundproofing - the gearlinkage for example was telescopic - in-cab noise levels on the 95 put many luxury saloons to shame. An update in 1991 saw new power ratings of 329, 364, and 401 Bhp, - a 430 Bhp variant, along with low deck tractor unit models and revised interior trim, were introduced in Spring 1992.
Two years later, after an intensive study of the ultra long haul market sector, DAF unveiled the 95.500 Super Spacecab at the 1994 RAI show. The 95 series cabin had gained height and length, and sat atop ■■■■■■■■ 14 litre N14, rated at 507 Bhp. ZF’s new Aluminium-cased 16S221 gearbox was fitted, with optional Intarder, an innovation was the hydraulic gearshift developed with Konsberg of Norway. Within an overall height of 3.85m, the Super boasted an interior standing height of 2.25m, a luxury bunk with generous stowage underneath and a full range of options included microwave, fridge, TV/Video. The 95.500 was available as a 4x2 tractor or drawbar rigid, with LHD only, though the Super Spacecab was available on 11.6 litre-engined models, and sold well. The 95.500 is now a very rare truck, which I find surprising given the original list price of £87, 650.
The basic cab design remains in production to this day, latterly as the 95XF and now the XF105, although both these developments of the original 95 are totally different machines under the skin. Other vehicles in the DAF range have included the inherited from Leyland Trucks Roadrunner (Badged DAF 600, 800, 1000 On the Continent) which evolved into the 45 Series, the cab of which was used on the 18 ton gross 55, also as a military spec 4×4.
An all-new medium to heavyweight line up debuted in late 1992, the 65, 75 and 85 utilising the same wedge shaped cab. Powered by DAF’s 6.24-litre (381 cu in), 8.65-litre (528 cu in) and 11.6-litre (710 cu in) engines, some novel styling details featured, while the 85 Series’ cab sat 10 cm (3.94 in) higher on the chassis to clear the WS engine.
A short-lived model was the 1990-93 80 Series using the T45 Roadtrain cab acquired from the Leyland Trucks takeover, fitted with the ATI driveline. Also offered for a short period was the 3200, basically a remodelled 2800 with the corporate style, three-bar grille.
There is a DAF LF45 hybrid version, which was presented by DAF at the IAA 2010 in Hannover.[6]

ERF-Continental:
To prevent (barking) ZB Anorak again destroys a nice thread…but has no teeth to bite :slight_smile:

I don’t know what your problem is, so I can do nothing to solve it, other than telling you to ■■■■ off.

Congratulations to the other posters for their fine contributions, most notably Tiptop495, whose direct experience is just what the original post was requesting, I think.

DAF options in France:

robert1952:
DAF options in France

Presumably 2805 signified a 13t axle? Note that the DKA engine continued in these French 2800s, in contrast to the GB market, which made do with only two of those options.

It’s a reasonable bet that although the DAF engine was ‘based’ on the old Leyland 680 DAF had subjected it to a massive re engineering programme to obtain its reliable 300 + hp figure from it.On that note it would have been interesting to find out what DAF’s development budget was for that and the whole 2800 project in total. :bulb:

Thank you all for your contributions and the information which are most welcome. I have managed in the meantime to establish from Enginedesk.com that there were 25 or 26 different variants of the DK1160. This main difference initially seems to be that DAF bored out the 680 block by 3mm, this was then followed at later dates by turbocharging and then intercooling. I won’t attempt to quote or link to Enginedesk since this is a subscription site which freezes you out if too many FOC requests for information are made.

daf.com/en/about-daf/daf-his … diaItem_10

daf.com/en/about-daf/daf-his … diaItem_14

daf.com/en/about-daf/daf-his … diaItem_19

daf.com/en/about-daf/daf-his … diaItem_10

DAF seem to have gone on to develop what they called the ATI engine and then the WS all still of the same cubic capacity and all looking externally very similar indeed. Even the final developments which were superseded by the Paccar MX Engine bear a striking resemblance.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-Continental:
To prevent (barking) ZB Anorak again destroys a nice thread…but has no teeth to bite :slight_smile:

I don’t know what your problem is, so I can do nothing to solve it, other than telling you to [zb] off.

You should stay behind your sandblaster and not behind a keyboard raising numerous doubts and the
endless daft (your quote) questions on which we all answer and afterwards you’ll doubt the content.

Hans Witte added the copyright-symbol to give him preferences on what HE gained out of research,
so don’t behave stupid to think the whole world would save his information not understanding Dutch
or in your case the difference between Dutch and German. I would however invite you for a visit to
the DAF Museum including the large archives but I strongly doubt if you would change your attitude.

Looking forward to the next thread you destroy and polute again…that’s life or show CONTENT!!!

robert1952:
DAF options in France:

Hey Robert, superbe to see that advertisement. All are still in SAE, the DKA only survived for about 3 years.
But for the Italian market 8hp/tonnes, there was the DKSI with 353 Din hp which stayed till the ATI system arrived with its 3600 for the minimum power output of 352hp.
And continued to be called 2800 (5) 13 t drive axle.

Gr Eric,

FT2805DKSI.gif

tiptop495:

robert1952:
DAF options in France:

Hey Robert, superbe to see that advertisement. All are still in SAE, the DKA only survived for about 3 years.
But for the Italian market 8hp/tonnes, there was the DKSI with 353 Din hp which stayed till the ATI system arrived with its 3600 for the minimum power output of 352hp.
And continued to be called 2800 (5) 13 t drive axle.

Gr Eric,

Nice one, Eric! Robert

cav551:
Thank you all for your contributions and the information which are most welcome. I have managed in the meantime to establish from Enginedesk.com that there were 25 or 26 different variants of the DK1160. This main difference initially seems to be that DAF bored out the 680 block by 3mm, this was then followed at later dates by turbocharging and then intercooling. I won’t attempt to quote or link to Enginedesk since this is a subscription site which freezes you out if too many FOC requests for information are made.
Even the final developments which were superseded by the Paccar MX Engine bear a striking resemblance.

I think there also might be some references to the old Leyland version running out of development potential regards the original block to head joint ability to withstand boost pressures ?.Which would obviously have been part of DAF’s development programme bearing mind the eventual ultimate specific outputs obtained.Which were more than respectable from a less than 6 inch stroke design.While the XF development seems to have dealt with that with the increase to 12.9 litre obtained by ( rightly ) going for a considerable increase in the stroke to over 6 inches.Which is how Leyland ‘should’ have designed it from the start. :bulb:

ERF-Continental:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-Continental:

I don’t know what your problem is, so I can do nothing to solve it, other than telling you to [zb] off.

You should stay behind your sandblaster and not behind a keyboard raising numerous doubts and the
endless daft (your quote) questions on which we all answer and afterwards you’ll doubt the content.

Hans Witte added the copyright-symbol to give him preferences on what HE gained out of research,
so don’t behave stupid to think the whole world would save his information not understanding Dutch
or in your case the difference between Dutch and German. I would however invite you for a visit to
the DAF Museum including the large archives but I strongly doubt if you would change your attitude.

Looking forward to the next thread you destroy and polute again…that’s life or show CONTENT!!!

You still have not said what your problem is, you ■■■■■■■ stupid ■■■■■ How am I supposed to bow to your divine wishes, if you do not state the conditions clearly? ■■■■■■■■.

To cav551 and all the other members of the forum- please ignore these exchanges. I am embarrassed by it all but, if this maniac continues to use these wonderful discussions as a vehicle for voicing his neuroses about me, I will continue to urge the fool to ask his quack for stronger medicine.