EE`s taking a 45 in UK

jacko22:
Was at a RHA Transport Managers meeting last week just after the announcement in Parliament was made. The RHA are invited into Parliament now not having to request to be seen & they made it clear you can sleep in a tent alongside the truck for your 45 or in the trailer but not in the cab!!!

Couldn`t make it up could you?

Silverwolve:
From what date do they want to Start the new regulations?

And.

Franglais:
Weekended on a compulsory 45 only I’d think. Not on a shorter break?

It isn’t a new regulation.
It’s the same regulation that’s been in place since 2007.
This is the rule being applied

Where reduced weekly rest periods are taken away from base, these may be taken in a vehicle, provided that it has suitable sleeping facilities and is stationary.

The point is that the rule says “Where reduced weekly rest periods…”, the word reduced has been ignored by the authorities until France started doing drivers for taking a full weekly rest in the cab a few years ago. Naturally drivers and companies started complaining to their own authorities, because we’ve been doing it for decades. So everyones own local authorities looked at the regulation and realised they were missing out on a nice little earner.

As we are now in the process of leaving the EU, I expect that we’ll no longer be subject to EU legislation once we are out, including the EU hours and Tachograph regulations.
So I’d also expect we would then come under the AETR Hours and Tacho rules, as Switzerland and Russia (among others) are. There is very little difference between the two sets of regulations, they are written to more or less match EU rules, but they’re written by a different group of legislators. The crucial word “reduced” might be missing from the AETR rule book, so we MIGHT be able to go back to taking a weekend rest in our cabs whether it’s a reduced or a full weekend rest, legally.

Simon:
As we are now in the process of leaving the EU, I expect that we’ll no longer be subject to EU legislation once we are out, including the EU hours and Tachograph regulations.
So I’d also expect we would then come under the AETR Hours and Tacho rules, as Switzerland and Russia (among others) are. There is very little difference between the two sets of regulations, they are written to more or less match EU rules, but they’re written by a different group of legislators. The crucial word “reduced” might be missing from the AETR rule book, so we MIGHT be able to go back to taking a weekend rest in our cabs whether it’s a reduced or a full weekend rest, legally.

The Gov site says the rules for AETR are the same as EU rules. (gov.uk/drivers-hours/aetr-rules). Any nuanced difference in the wording between EU and AETR will probably shrink to less than nowt if youre at the roadside with a Gendarme asking for a fine! Drivers taking a 45 in the UK and not going to EU may be OK to stay in their cab after Brexit, but surely those doing more than 2 week trips in the UK are in a small club? You may well be right in the letter of the law, but no great changes any time soon, wouldnt you agree?

Franglais:

Simon:

The Gov site says the rules for AETR are the same as EU rules. (gov.uk/drivers-hours/aetr-rules). Any nuanced difference in the wording between EU and AETR will probably shrink to less than nowt if youre at the roadside with a Gendarme asking for a fine! Drivers taking a 45 in the UK and not going to EU may be OK to stay in their cab after Brexit, but surely those doing more than 2 week trips in the UK are in a small club? You may well be right in the letter of the law, but no great changes any time soon, wouldnt you agree?

I agree any difference in wording wouldn’t worry an over zealous cop.

As British based drivers abroad are a small group, I imagine those taking a full weekly rest are even a smaller group and many are probably already on the type of work where they get put into hotels.

The enforcement of this has far more to do with complaints from transport operators and unions about social dumping of East European drivers (not the UK though, we’re quite happy to exploit workers) working for long periods in Western Europe on pay rates far lower than the local minimum wage.

AndrewG:
Whats needed in the UK is a massive truckstop/park near Folkestone /Dover, a dedicated one with B&B (for those who want it), fueling/truckwash and restaurants similar to Guiselwind near Frankfurt, this place also has a workshop on site (Merc dealership).Big EE, Waberers and the like could (at charge) also use it for an operating/changeover point. Until the crap facilities in the UK improve parking outside some NIMBY’s house in Kent somewhere will continue…

German Autohöfs are a joy to behold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

switchlogic:

AndrewG:
Whats needed in the UK is a massive truckstop/park near Folkestone /Dover, a dedicated one with B&B (for those who want it), fueling/truckwash and restaurants similar to Guiselwind near Frankfurt, this place also has a workshop on site (Merc dealership).Big EE, Waberers and the like could (at charge) also use it for an operating/changeover point. Until the crap facilities in the UK improve parking outside some NIMBY’s house in Kent somewhere will continue…

German Autohöfs are a joy to behold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As is the one I stopped at yesterday between Venlo and Endhoven, secure parking at €0.80ph and first 2 hours free, so that’s about €8 for a full rest there, with proper facilities, good food etc compared to £25+ to park on a peice of Tarmac with a access to overpriced fast food outlets and mouldy showers, that we call Motorway Services in the UK.

Franglais:

Simon:

I don’t know if there’s any differences between AETR and EU Rules, but as they come from different legislators there may well be.
AETR rules still had the three 15 minute breaks to make up a 45, long after the EU changed it to 15 then 30 for example. There are probably several other nuances, but I haven’t studied the EU rules that closely let alone the AETR rules.
But this whole issue is about a nuance. The nuance being that the 2007 update to the rules included that one little word ‘reduced’, it wasn’t there before 2007.

We’ve still got at least 2 years before we exit the EU, so no great changes any time soon.
BUT, remember that IF your international journey takes you through a zone where AETR rules apply, then your whole journey is subject to AETR rules only.

1.10. AETR rules

Journeys to or through the countries that are signatories to the AETR Agreement see list EU, AETR and EEA countries are subject to AETR rules.
AETR rules apply to the whole journey, including any EU countries passed through.

Something to think about and mull over until it becomes a reality :slight_smile:

German motorway service areas are fantastic, the quality of the food, so many choices, buffet breakfast, every fruit juice available from prune juice , breads, crackers, rye bread ,its on display like a five star hotel.
Lunch and dinner the same .
Staff dressed well in uniform, looking smart .
Toilets that are so clean .

UK MSA has the billowing chimneys of foul smelling grease from the burger or chicken franchise chains.
Badly dressed staff, toilets that smell like a badgers armpit, pay £30 to stop over night to have your trailer cut with peep holes .