Bloody foreigners! (Warning, Daily Mail article)

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … aybys.html

"Lorry drivers are parking in UK laybys and sleeping in their cabs for two consecutive nights in order to dodge fines in France and Belgium.

The drivers, many of whom come from eastern Europe, park close to Dover, Kent, and the crossing to the mainland.

But in the UK, there is no penalty for taking these ‘weekends’ by the side of the road."

So, rather than provide facilities for us, it’s easier to just dish out fines.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145403

In the Euro section already.

just more needless EE bashing, wherelse are they supposed to take a 45hr break exactly, a hotel maybe??

Even if drivers get paid to sleep in hotel/motel/hostels, there will be still a lot of individuals who will cash the dosh and sleep in the truck.
In the 80’s there where still a lot of companies paying for digs, and many a driver slept over the seats on a plank or something like that.
Towels as curtains just to keep a few more pennies in the pocket (or to make sure nobody nicked your boots, ■■■■■■ in your face or excessive b.o.

A lot of drivers are individuals who rather stay in the truck and do their own thing, instead of forced in some situation.
You just have to listen to the complains when the cabins on the ferries get doubled up, many who have done the Milan or Novara train (Rollende Landstrasse) to Freiburg can mind the smell in the couchettes where you where pushed in with 2 or 3 strangers.

If companies get forced to put drivers up in hotels, you can be sure that it won’t be 1 driver per room.
No thank you rather choose my own company.

caledoniandream:
Even if drivers get paid to sleep in hotel/motel/hostels, there will be still a lot of individuals who will cash the dosh and sleep in the truck.
In the 80’s there where still a lot of companies paying for digs, and many a driver slept over the seats on a plank or something like that.
Towels as curtains just to keep a few more pennies in the pocket (or to make sure nobody nicked your boots, ■■■■■■ in your face or excessive b.o.

A lot of drivers are individuals who rather stay in the truck and do their own thing, instead of forced in some situation.
You just have to listen to the complains when the cabins on the ferries get doubled up, many who have done the Milan or Novara train (Rollende Landstrasse) to Freiburg can mind the smell in the couchettes where you where pushed in with 2 or 3 strangers.

If companies get forced to put drivers up in hotels, you can be sure that it won’t be 1 driver per room.

^
This x100

AndrewG:
just more needless EE bashing, wherelse are they supposed to take a 45hr break exactly, a hotel maybe??

Apparently that is what the French and Belgium authorities are expecting as this is where it’s come from. their interpretation of Drivers Hours Regs on Weekly rest, and now been backed by the EU,
This isn’t a UK thing, but making a story from it does fit into the Daily Mails agenda.

muckles:

AndrewG:

Apparently that is what the French and Belgium authorities are expecting as this is where it’s come from. their interpretation of Drivers Hours Regs on Weekly rest, and now been backed by the EU,
This isn’t a UK thing, but making a story from it does fit into the Daily Mails agenda.

Not seeing what possible harm it does to have a 45 in the truck i just think its yet another reason to fine drivers, mainly EE, the ones least likely able to afford it…

AndrewG:

muckles:

AndrewG:

Not seeing what possible harm it does to have a 45 in the truck i just think its yet another reason to fine drivers, mainly EE, the ones least likely able to afford it…

This probably has more to do with pressure from French and Belgium haulage bodies and unions, to stop what’s called social dumping.
Where East European workers are working for extended periods in Western Europe, but not being paid the minimum rate for that country, meaning that the companies that employ them can undercut the rates of companies in Western Europe who have to employ workers at higher rates of pay.
It also the reason France and Germany have included Lorry drivers in their minimum wage legislation, if they are delivering, collecting or doing cabotage in those countries.

AndrewG:

muckles:

AndrewG:

And in the French way of interpreting the regs it`s the company that is liable for any fines. Not under paid drivers.

muckles:
It also the reason France and Germany have included Lorry drivers in their minimum wage legislation, if they are delivering, collecting or doing cabotage in those countries.

This is the answer, a minimum wage throughout europe instead of limiting time a driver can spend in the truck. Imho…

AndrewG:

muckles:

This is the answer, a minimum wage throughout europe instead of limiting time a driver can spend in the truck. Imho…

I am quite surprised at you Andrew. I had you down as more of a “free trader” than one in favour of a command economy solution? :smiley:

AndrewG:

muckles:

But where France and Germany have tried to enforce their minimum wage on drivers entering their country, they’ve faced protests to the EU from East European hauliers and governments,

I think this is very unlikely to happen when free movement of labour and goods across such vastly differing economies benefits the the companies are are able to take advantage of low labour rates by either moving their operations to the cheaper country or bringing workers in from those countries.

Franglais:

AndrewG:

muckles:

I am quite surprised at you Andrew. I had you down as more of a “free trader” than one in favour of a command economy solution? :smiley:

Youre right Franglais :wink: … but can also see the other side of the coin where some Hungarian drivers (for instance) are being paid as little as 530huf per hour

they keep on bleating on about rest ,in2017 a weekly rest of 45 hours should not be any where near his truck it should be in a travel lodg or something like it.

Andrew
i thought a ‘huf’ was something my wife often gets …

caledoniandream:

some men like to sleep with other men

villa:

caledoniandream:

some men like to sleep with other men

and some men like to sleep with their bum jammed into a corner of the bunk and their belt tied round their chin just to be on the safe side… :open_mouth:

You’ve not watched Broke Back Bent Truckers then? :stuck_out_tongue:

I just thought it was those that probably grafted delivering coal, and fiddles the tacho. Boy was I wrong! :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:
You’ve not watched Broke Back Bent Truckers then? :stuck_out_tongue:

I just thought it was those that probably grafted delivering coal, and fiddles the tacho. Boy was I wrong! :open_mouth:

wait till you do some ferry crossings stuck in a cabin with 1 or 2 hairyassed trampers…best to play safe and make sure all holes remain covered… :smiley:

raymundo:
Andrew
i thought a ‘huf’ was something my wife often gets …

I call it getting the hump when mine doesnt see me for two weeks at a time… :grimacing: